Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help us design a Porsche specific DIY garage lift.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help us design a Porsche specific DIY garage lift.

Hello RL'ers.

Today I bought a lift for my engine removal. So I was at the shop who builds them and discussed with Ulrich my real needs... (quite different from the lift I purchased.)

After shooting ideas and concepts back and forth, we decided to try to build "a better mouse trap." (read DIY Porsche specific garage lift)

Thus far our ideas do not extend into the heavy duty 2 or 4 post lifts, the market is crowded with these. The idea is for single axle lift: either front or rear.

I will be giving him the specifics of the jack points, distances etc from my NB 993. Hopefully, the design will allow for dimensional variations to accommodate most Pcars.

Some basics we hope to achieve:

-15 cm folded height... lowered cars will need a ramp..
- 1 meter extended height to allow for engine removal
- side entry versus rear or forward fit
- 850 kgs capacity (max expected load from the rear engined fraternity)
- alu for the most part and steel only where necessary.
- if feasable... a single axle lift.. either you lift front or back.
- remote hydraulic pump with either 110 or 220 Volt motor

Pro-Lift has the capability and knowledge to design and build a Porsche specific DIY lift. Entry into the automotive vs bike will broaden their field. I will help in the design and early marketing/distribution only; I will accept no payment if the project is successful.

We are looking for your ideas of the features which should be built into this lift. Start your drawing tables
Old 01-02-2007, 01:26 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My first thoughts were more to the features of the car than the lift: if lifted from the rear, an ~30 degree angle would be required to achieve 1m rear clearance - the front bodywork will contact the ground long before this as it pivots on the front axles. This angle of contact ( 'eyeballed' as ~15 deg) depends on the degree of suspension lowering - and can be countered by elevation of the front wheels: doing the latter is departing from a one axle lift concept ?? If there were a dimensional profile of a 993 computerized, it may be useful to check these angles to better define what this single axle lift must do.

Secondly, dropping the engine:trans pair when tilted at such an angle would likely only be half as much fun as jacking it back up and correctly aligning on the reinstall effort. This is only wild supposition, for I have enough difficulty working when the playing field is level
Old 01-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good points Garth. My first thoughts were for the front to be on a ramp. This is the way Toga proceeded and this seems good to me for my own drop...

The lift should be low enough to lower the rear of the car .. zonder wheels of course... to make the engine contact a low trolley fitted with an appropriate cradle... release the engine mounts... then jack the back 1 meter to clear the intake.

Keep these ideas coming.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:50 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

zonder wheels of course
?

Do you mean that the lift will go under the rear tires? This would be very clever, and would also allow access to the rear jack points with jackstands.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:39 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

how is this project feasable being a low demand and probably high cost production piece. If it is model specific to a 993 then i cant see very many people being interested enough in it to pay for the R&D much less production cost. I would think the main market would be few people possibly on this list.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:52 PM
dmw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your projected price point?

What I envision when I read this is basically a jack that would jack both driver and passenger sides simultaneously, but higher than a normal jack. It could be used either at the front or rear, and would have a locking mechanism (so jack stands wouldn't be needed). Adapters would be sold to fit different car widths.

Here's the rub: a 4 poster lift is a couple thousand bucks (and also allows for storing an extra car). I think you would need this "lift" to be sold for $500 or less to compete. My $.02.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:57 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Monique, what about a standard sissor lift with the rear cross member removed? Probably cheaper, easier and more versatile. This Thread (post #94) shows the cross member removed and the engine & trans removed.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:01 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Monique,
Have you looked at the site I posted up on your previous post.
The lift accepts cars with a minimum clearance of 10cm and lifts to 98cm - plenty enough to drop the engine. It also gives a clear access to the engine without any bars hindering the drop.
I thought of buying the likes of the Bend Paks but I just did not feel secure with the base of the lift. Have a look if you already haven't at your previous post (detailing lift). I wouldn't waste your time on a single axle model.

Harry
Old 01-02-2007, 04:17 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Why not try to refine the ubiquitous mid-rise scissor lift? As a form factor it fits more peoples' garages than any other solution.

All the ones you see now are a similar (identical?) design and made in China. Take them as a starting point and...

1) lower closed height so you can drive and park on top of them when not in use
2) open back for rear engine drops
3) perhaps better steel and better welds and, say, a 4000 lb capacity (down from 6k) would allow a more streamlined design
Old 01-02-2007, 05:48 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 72 Posts

Hey Gang,

I just read that NSX/Bend Pak install post.. Poor guy. But at least he got it dialed in.
I installed the same lift in my garage about two months ago. I did not have any problems as I hired a company who picked it up from the manufacturer, delivered it, installed it. Got it up in two days and total job cost under $6k including the cost to run a 220v electrical line.

If you want to see pics of my install, please let me know. But this is what the end results look like.

I am not much of a wrench turner so can't speak for you DIY guys who need something specific. This lift has a tray that can be removed for oil changes, etc. but it is designed as a parking lift, not a "work bench"..

B
Old 01-02-2007, 05:51 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

This lift has a tray that can be removed for oil changes
On a Chevy maybe. Not for a 993.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:02 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
On a Chevy maybe. Not for a 993.
As I said, I'm not much of a wrench...
Old 01-03-2007, 09:07 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Monique,

I'm not sure I understand well how your project will work. But the original jack up points are far to the rear, just in front of the rear wheels, and if your lift "crosses" the chassis at this point, I don't think you'll be able to drop a 4S engine with tranny.
have a look on this pic extract from my engine removal post:
Old 01-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello JP,

The idea is to explore all configs and designs.. perhaps reinvent the wheel??
Old 01-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

In case you did not see my post in the 964 forum:

Just get them to build a two-post asymmetric lift that would fit under a normal garage ceiling...

Full access to the underside would be possible... no problems with engine/tranny access. Solid enough so we do not have to worry of the thing collapsing...

Last edited by Wachuko; 01-03-2007 at 12:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Help us design a Porsche specific DIY garage lift.