Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wild Claims! Subaru built the 996 engine? Ferry's personal 993?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 02:23 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Enclosed is a link http://www.seqair.com/Other/PFM/PorschePFM.html that gives some background on the Mooney Porsche project....not a real winner.
Financially it was not a winner by any means, but the new fadec technology they introduced is still impressive.
Today most new aircraft with constant speed propellers are now controlled by a single lever FADEC as opposed to three seperate Throttle/Mixture/Propeller controls.
It was huge step in reducing pilot workload, especially at critical times like takeoff and landing.

ZP44
Private Pilot ASEL/MEL/INST ASEL/ASES(seaplane)
High performance/aerobatic/taildragger endorsements
Old 12-29-2006, 03:14 PM
Pete
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
The aircraft you refer to is the Mooney Porsche which was a collaboration between the two companys which created and unique engineering opportunity for both companys eventually leading to the first "certified" single lever power(FADEC) production aircraft.
The Porsche engine package was discontinued due to cost and replaced by the Lycoming 540 series engines.
I still get excited when I see the ocassional Mooney with the Porsche crest on the cowl.

Slightly OT: Porsche also supplied 928 "marinized" engines to Wellcraft Scarab Offshore in the early to mid 80's for an exotic engine upgrade vs. a stock Mercruiser Chevy V-8.

ZP44
Ah, yes, it was the Mooney! I've never been much into aircraft but have a few friends who are and it seems I've heard them describe the Mooney as sort of a hot rod when it came to small planes, a Porsche for the air?

Pete
Old 12-29-2006, 05:18 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Originally Posted by RallyJon
I don't know--the feeling of a proper AWD system on an STI or EVO pulling you into a turn is very cool. It gives a sense of front-end bite that the 993 could use more of.
i do not agree. i don't want to be pulled through a turn by the front wheels...that's too much like front wheel drive, which isn't what i want at all. a sports car should be rear while drive, which is why i like the C4 so much. it gives you more grip when you need it, but the rest of the time it feels more like RWD.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:37 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I read all the threads and info on this "Doc" character and probably shouldn't have engaged him, but couldn't help myself. I replied with the following to his craigslist ad......

Hey Doc,

Do you still have the fake RS 406? Don't expect you will be selling this 993 to anybody in the Porsche community that has internet access.

What is a trailor? I have a friend who uses a trailer to haul things, but I am not familiar with a trailor.

Here is his reponse:

Dear Mark Harris,

I really have to disappoint you, but my car was authenticated by
Porsche's classic division and was then sold for more you could have ever
afforded.
Regarding derogatory info on the web placed, just ask some scammers like
you who now are prosecuted by the district attorney.

It is for scammers/ junk like you that I have sold all of my Porsche
collection and bought a Ferrari.

I am sure that you are not man enough to forward your address. The
Internet is a nice place for loosers like you to hide.
Have a Happy new Year.

Ut oh.....better warn our freinds in the Ferrari community.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:19 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pete Lenzini
Ah, yes, it was the Mooney! I've never been much into aircraft but have a few friends who are and it seems I've heard them describe the Mooney as sort of a hot rod when it came to small planes, a Porsche for the air?

Pete
You got it, same with Pilatus! My Dad is a 747-400 Check Pilot and before the Porsche the big toy was a Cessna 185 on big amphib. floats.

OT: There was a lady at the Flying Club that is closely related to the Thompson family (9th on Forbes richest people in the world-$20billion ) She has a Beaver on Amphib Floats, a Bell Long Range helicopter, some other big helicopter, a Sukhoi stunt plane, etc etc. The Club didn't have a Heli-pad so she paid for it, she use to fly her 'copter to pick-up her kids at school-she landed on the football field. She also has a pad at the boat dock to fly to her cottage. And you thought a Carrera GT was expensive...
Old 12-30-2006, 10:14 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mystery solved!!!!!

That's why my 996 sounds like a ricer!!!!
Old 12-30-2006, 10:42 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some may remember that Porsche also worked very closely with NISSAN in designing their first car. When it was completed, NISSAN sent a cable to Porsche telling them that they needed a name for the car, and they needed it in 24 hours. Porsche's reply........"Dat soon?"

Old 12-30-2006, 10:59 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Although anything is possible, Herr Professor Dr. Porsche tended to drive cars with one color scheme, a shade of forrest green with a dark brown leather interior.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:20 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cleanme
Beaver on Amphib Floats,...
Those are so incredible.

I got my SES (single engine sea) add-on in a 1946 Piper J-3 on floats. There is nothing like floatplane flying.

I wonder if the good Doctor has one for sale....
Old 12-31-2006, 02:02 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Those are so incredible.

I got my SES (single engine sea) add-on in a 1946 Piper J-3 on floats. There is nothing like floatplane flying.

I wonder if the good Doctor has one for sale....

Got my add on (as BFR) at Lake Hood in Anchorage three years ago in a Cessna 206 with amphib floats, very challenging & expensive!, but lots of fun! The hardest part for me to get used to was, how high you are off the water at touchdown as opposed to a land plane on a runway.

Got to ride along on a supply delivery to a remote camp in a float Beaver owned by Rusts Flying Service while I was there. It was noisy, smelly, uncomfortable and that big radial P&W felt like it was going to shake itself apart, but it took me back to a time when flying was uninhibited, more pure and couldn't have been anymore fun even if Walt Disney had invented it!

Go give it a whirl!...................ZP44

Quick Reply: Wild Claims! Subaru built the 996 engine? Ferry's personal 993?