Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Excellence Magazine 993 Market Prices

Old 12-23-2006, 08:57 PM
porsche fever
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me get this right. my '98 C2S with 18kmi. white with black interior is worth $32K? At the porsche dealer in Newport Beach Ca. a new caymen was on the floor at $78K and a new Cayanne was $175K. As the U.S. dollar keeps tanking I can't believe that if those prices for used 993's are real and that they will stay so low.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:09 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche fever
Let me get this right. my '98 C2S with 18kmi. white with black interior is worth $32K? At the porsche dealer in Newport Beach Ca. a new caymen was on the floor at $78K and a new Cayanne was $175K. As the U.S. dollar keeps tanking I can't believe that if those prices for used 993's are real and that they will stay so low.
Unfortunately, that it THE TRUTH! After all, it was reported to be from EXCELLENCE.......ON THE INTERNET! So, just believe it....and send your address to me, where I will save your sorry *** by sending you $35K!!!!! And a car carrier driven by Uncle Jim, who will take that depreciating hunk of rusting iron away from you before you are completely ruined.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-23-2006, 10:15 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

On no other forum but 993, is there so much hand wringing over market value. If you are a seller, the final price will depend on your needs and the buyer's desire. It's that simple.

Noah
Old 12-23-2006, 10:25 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche fever
No, it's actually worth $37,000. Do we have a deal?
Old 12-23-2006, 10:34 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by N51
On no other forum but 993, is there so much hand wringing over market value. If you are a seller, the final price will depend on your needs and the buyer's desire. It's that simple.

Noah
There is no other decent 993 forum - RENNLIST OWNS BABY!
Old 12-24-2006, 11:10 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by N51

Noah
No hand wringing here...just pointing out poor work done by Excellence. Glad to see you paid attention in Economics 101!
Old 12-24-2006, 11:22 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bull
No hand wringing here...just pointing out poor work done by Excellence. Glad to see you paid attention in Economics 101!
I wonder how they value a '73 RS... after 35 years of depreciation, you can probably pick one up for the price of a 944. Remember guys, "buy the newest one you can afford."
Old 12-24-2006, 01:31 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete Lenzini
My own car is one example of a known purchase price that can be compared with Excellence's market value for my specific year and model.. Why are you even talking about comparing my car to a year older car, not an S, blah blah blah? Check the newest Excellence which I just got today and the price I paid is within a few hundred of the price they show for an excellent car. This is merely one data point to support their prices but there are others...check their reader's sales reports.

One problem is there aren't enough of some models of Porsches that change hands often enough to really establish reliable market values. This might even apply to 993 TT, 2S and 4S models. I know that I have checked Kelley Bluebook and NADA and if you think Excellence is low, take a look at those! I really think some of us have an inflated notion of what are cars are worth. I'd like to hear some more recent reports from some buyers and sellers with actual prices.

One more thing....did I likely pay $10K too much according to Excellence as you suggest? No way! I got a car I wanted at what I considered a fair price and fellas, that's the absolute bottom line as far as I'm concerned! No one twisted my arm and I didn't commit any robbery to get the cash.

Pete
haha.... just reading all this... think that there was a similar thread lately.

those excellence prices are beyond stupid and in a category we call just plain "goofy".

are we biased so we think are cars are worth more money>> nope, just pick A-N-Y major source for selling these cars.... Autotrader, Rennlist, Cars.com, Hemmings.com, PCA.org, any of the highline dealers, etc. Either all human beings in the western hemisphere are pricing their cars way too high to sell *read, like 20k higher* OR Excellence mag is just plain goofy...

i think that Adrienne's point was that, according to Excellent numbers, not only did you pay too much for your car, but all NA 993s are pretty much within $5k of each other in value... which i am sure that even you would agree is just silly... there is no way that a 1995 tiptronic car would sell within $5k of, say, a 1998 C4S manual car, i mean, the original sticker price was some $30k or more difference... you would agree that this is just silly, right...
Old 12-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Having either bought or sold 9 Porsches in the past 8 years, I'm with you on this one!
Old 12-26-2006, 12:38 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

I would agree that you buy these cars for the sole purpose of enjoying them and not as an investment.

I will add that every Porsche I have owned and sold, I have sold for a profit. My original 79 SC I purchased for $15k in 1982 and sold it for $21k in 1986. The others were better gains than that.

Now getting back to Anderson's numbers in Excellence. If you look at pricing of 914's I sold my excellent condition 74 2.0l back in 2003 for $9500 at that time they considered an excellent car to be worth $7150 today they value it at $9763 and I know the woman I sold it to ws offered $15k for it. If you look at pricing for my 94 turbo they would have you believing you could purchase an excellent example for $56,475. To be honest that is down right laughable. I will say I know of one excellent condition car that sold for close to that. However, it was a fluke and most in excellent condition are selling for well above $60k and many well above $70k with a few in the low $90's. Most in the $55k price range I would consider far from excellent and usually have hidden issues. How many Excellent 1997 993 turbo S's have you heard about selling in the $96k price range? I can point out many that have sold for $130 and above, same with the 94 Flachbau's that they claim will bring $18k to $23k over Excellent valued stock 94 turbos. If I could find a 94 Flachbau close to $80k I would buy it in an instant. I missed out on one that had issues and it sold for $89k most others are trading in the $130 to $140 range.

You can go on about many models they report on and in most all cases it is the oddball that sells close to the prices they report. It doesn't mean it doesn't happen but if you show me a car in trully excellent condition that is advertised at the prices they have listed I can show you a car you can make a profit on.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:09 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 383 Posts

Agreed, Anthony. Would add that one can generally make a profit only if one flips the car that was purchased on a screaming hot deal. Insurance and maintenance will quickly eat into any gross profit potential.

-Jim
Old 12-26-2006, 02:01 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember following the price updates on 928's in Exellence. I was upset to see my 1980 was only worth $4-5K in "good" condition so I just hung onto it. Then I saw another update a few years later suggesting the car might be worth something like $8-10K. The car was in way above-average condition but I still spent over $4K just to make it good enough to sell for $6500. Given that this car was definately what would be considered the mid-range in condition there was still no way in hell anyone was going to buy it for anything close to the numbers that Excellence was telling people it should. Excellence was way too optimistic in my opinion.

That the values on 993s seem to be off in the latest article doesn't surprise me in the least. You want real world value go look at what stuff is selling for on ebay or try to call people who already sold their cars on Autotrader etc. and have not yet pulled their ads. That'll tell you. All I know for sure is all things being equal a TT is worth more than an C4S, a C2S is worth less than a C4S, a C4 a little less than that, a C2 a little less. Add or subtract based upon type of transmission, cabrio in summer or winter, miles, condition, mods and whether or not someone wants to pay for your modded car, SAI issues or not (also depends on buyer's level of education about this) etc etc.

I think you get the point. The writer at Excellence has no way of knowing what the real value is on these cars and is generalizing at best. If enough drunks that like P-cars are at the Barrot-Jackson auction AND they want to be on stage and TV that will affect value too....

All due respect but this debate is kind of a waste to anyone trying to buy or sell a 993 because its completely subjective. You get the right buyer you'll get lucky and get more for your car and vice-versa. End of story....
Old 12-26-2006, 02:27 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

A C2S can actually be worth more than a C4S so don't make that assumption. The C2S is the #1 requested car according to buyer broker Dave Maynard. It also wouldn;t surprise me to see either of the NA widebody cars ahead of a Turbo some time in the future.....but what do I know.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:11 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I plan on buying a nice 993 next year (maybe). It's a nice thought that the cars are getting cheaper and cheaper! But in the end, its' the market that drives the prices (no pun intended). Excellence is pretty useless when it comes to valuations.

To me, a very clean, well taken care of 993 will always command a premium. Period! Same thing goes for my 944S2. "Average" value is around $9k. If someone wants my car, they will have to pay me more. Period! Let's not forget the "WOW, I gotta buy this car" mentality that many Porsche buyers have!
Old 12-26-2006, 03:26 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
A C2S can actually be worth more than a C4S so don't make that assumption. The C2S is the #1 requested car according to buyer broker Dave Maynard. It also wouldn;t surprise me to see either of the NA widebody cars ahead of a Turbo some time in the future.....but what do I know.
You make a good point. It really comes down to the individual buyer. Someone who lives in a snowy or rainy region with lots of twisty mountain roads that loves the wide-body of the S probably would pay more for a C4S than a C2S I'd suspect. Perhaps this is the exception rather than the rule. Here in So. Cal. I'd probably opt for a C2S. I don't think I'd be willing to pay more for one than a C4S if faced with the choice though, and as a seller I'd think my C4S (if I owned one) would be worth at least as much. Taking the same out as you....what do I know anyway? Besides, I drive a C2 NB because I thought paying for different front/rear bumpers, badging, and slightly wider rear end wasn't worth the extra expense. I still like the S models though - just not that $$$$$$$ much.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Excellence Magazine 993 Market Prices