Sponsored by:

Excellence Magazine 993 Market Prices

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 10:42 PM
wayne325
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bull
Just sold my '97 C2S today, and the Excellence article gives me the uncontrollable laughs!
Do tell...
Old 12-23-2006, 01:04 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are worried about the value of a 993. Do you have any idea of what you can get a "decent' home in SoCal for these days? About 35 "excellent" 993s (that's 5 (993s) less than last year). Cars depreciate - that's why they're are the worst investment ever. Why do you think our old 993's should be appreciating?

Enjoy the one's "we" got a bitch'n deal on....if you have 35K laying around buy a rental in OH, NC or VA (you'll do much better) and you'll be able to buy a 993 later for that much less and still have a gain on your 35K.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:30 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 690 Likes on 413 Posts

David, this thread isn't about 993's-or any car- as an appreciating financial investment and no one has suggested that these cars are supposed to appreciate in value. The point of this thread is that the going price of a 993 is higher (in some cases, much higher) than the prices indicated in the recent Excellence article.

But, to the point that you've created, I'm guessing that most here have already acheived enough to afford to throw away some play money on these kinds of toys. I strongly doubt that anyone here considers their 993 to be part of an investment portfolio- that would be crazy.

Then again, you did mention that SoCal real estate lost 12% last year. You would have done better financially buying 40 993's last year!

-Jim
Old 12-23-2006, 09:55 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jimbo3
David, this thread isn't about 993's-or any car- as an appreciating financial investment and no one has suggested that these cars are supposed to appreciate in value. The point of this thread is that the going price of a 993 is higher (in some cases, much higher) than the prices indicated in the recent Excellence article.

But, to the point that you've created, I'm guessing that most here have already acheived enough to afford to throw away some play money on these kinds of toys. I strongly doubt that anyone here considers their 993 to be part of an investment portfolio- that would be crazy.

Then again, you did mention that SoCal real estate lost 12% last year. You would have done better financially buying 40 993's last year!

-Jim
Really? I guess we should call up Barret-Jackson before they sell any more Hemi Cudas for $400k, obviously they've been misinformed
Old 12-23-2006, 11:17 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Few and far between, Pcar. If cars are the solid investment you say they are, which do you recommend I buy today that will at least double my money in under ten years, after all expenses? (That's roughly a 7% rate compounded, for the financially challenged.)

I'll split any gains with you if you agree to cover any loss. I'm just messing with you, but I would make the deal with you. I'd love to drive a car on your dime for 10 years...

-Jim
Old 12-23-2006, 11:44 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wayne325
Do tell...
While the actual price paid is the business of the buyer, I will say that the first number was not a 3..or a 4....or a 6...or higher higher than 6 or lower than 3.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:53 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by David Ray

Enjoy the one's "we" got a bitch'n deal on....if you have 35K laying around buy a rental in OH, NC or VA (you'll do much better) and you'll be able to buy a 993 later for that much less and still have a gain on your 35K.
BTDT, and still doing that.

Who said anything about 993s "appreciating"????? They are part of the disposable toy collection, not the portfolio.

And I have made money on Porsches, but none have been less than 35 years old. The last was a fully restored, Parade winning '61 Roadster (resto and win by PO), which sold for 17% more than I paid 3 years after I bought it....just before being shipped to Barrett-Jackson. Sometimes I get lucky, but not often.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:40 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by David Ray
You guys are worried about the value of a 993. Do you have any idea of what you can get a "decent' home in SoCal for these days? About 35 "excellent" 993s (that's 5 (993s) less than last year). .
12% loss?! Is that right. Here in the "low rent" district of O-side, we lost ~6% last year. The times are achanging however. THe first "bank owned" for sale sign went up in my neighboorhood last night. Uh-Oh!
Old 12-23-2006, 12:48 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Few and far between, Pcar. If cars are the solid investment you say they are, which do you recommend I buy today that will at least double my money in under ten years, after all expenses? (That's roughly a 7% rate compounded, for the financially challenged.)

I'll split any gains with you if you agree to cover any loss. I'm just messing with you, but I would make the deal with you. I'd love to drive a car on your dime for 10 years...

-Jim
Collector's car market is very finnicky. One year the Hemi Cudas are the car to have, then suddenly there's a Corvette craze and the collectors dump their Cudas. It's fun to watch on Barrett-Jackson, but I would never play that game with my money

I don't ever think of a Pcar as an investment. But if you want a car that will hold value and probably creep up in value over the long term, a 993 is a pretty good choice. I'm not saying anyone will be making any money here. In fact, factor in maintenance if you drive the car, and you'll still lose money in real terms. But resale will remain strong imho.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:03 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jnx
At $35,213 for an "Excellent" 98 993S, I will take 25 of them please.
Agree. Guess they have different definition of "excellent".
Old 12-23-2006, 02:20 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

People are swooning in my Township because values only went up 6% this year. Shows you how easily people can begin to feel "entitled" to 25+% each year.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:37 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

No worries, Bob. Your local tax man will assure everyone that their property is worth 25% more...
Old 12-23-2006, 03:07 PM
BrokenE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, this thread is about whether the valuations in Excellence are correct or not right? So back to that: I'm sure Excellence bases their numbers on actual data, however, I would like to see where these cars are being bought and sold. Because if you look at the classifieds here, or Holt, or RPM, those prices are way above. Yet maybe that's what we here get used to seeing. Keep in mind that the cars here, Holt and RPM are top of excellent condition, plus a lot of them have mods. So we see top of the line cars with top of the line pricing. In comparison, the cars taht excellence is reporting on are probably just average condition, with "excellent" pricing probably being an estimated adder.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

No worries, Bob. Your local tax man will assure everyone that their property is worth 25% more...
Fortunately, we aren't revalued/reassesed every year, and as long as we don't vote in a budget increase ("usually" smarter than that!), and the rising tide lifts all ships, who cares what the value is?
Old 12-23-2006, 03:17 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by BrokenE
OK, this thread is about whether the valuations in Excellence are correct or not right? So back to that: I'm sure Excellence bases their numbers on actual data, however, I would like to see where these cars are being bought and sold. Because if you look at the classifieds here, or Holt, or RPM, those prices are way above. Yet maybe that's what we here get used to seeing. Keep in mind that the cars here, Holt and RPM are top of excellent condition, plus a lot of them have mods. So we see top of the line cars with top of the line pricing. In comparison, the cars taht excellence is reporting on are probably just average condition, with "excellent" pricing probably being an estimated adder.
Great in theory, but the sell sheets from the Regional Hi-Line auction in this area show the 993s going across the block for far more money than Excellence reports. I would suggest that their values are NOT based on actual, current data.

Quick Reply: Excellence Magazine 993 Market Prices