993 Forum 1995-1998

Announcement: Carrera 4 - bought for $15,000 2 days ago

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 04:45 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Yeah that was a little uncool man. With 71 posts (and a USER) don't come in here and **** on the man's wheaties you haven't earned (or paid for) the right to do so. He got a smoking deal (as it looks on the surface). Leave it be. If he's FOS, so be it, he's happy with it. I would done the same thing he did and not thought twice.

Having said that, our new friend Mr. Alpina needs to pony up for the membership so he can fully enjoy the perks and wisdom of this place if he is going to upset the cart with a purchase (and post)like that.
well, my point was not that he didn't buy the car or get the price that he did.

My point is, that for a guy with 9 posts, who claims that he will turn a 15k 993 into "one of the worlds nicest 993s" because of undisclosed "street cred", its a little hard to believe. If he had said that he's been working on porsches for xx number of years and whatever, it would have been much more believeable.

Im not saying the guy is fos, im sure he's not, but I think its odd to go around mentioning "street cred" (which sounds like a line from fast & furious), without saying what that credibility is.

no harm intended.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

That is a pretty nice looking car for $15K. Will this be the first N/A car where the mods cost more than the car?

Greg H.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:01 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alpinadvl
.... And the person I bought the car from is actually a porsche enthusiast....he has had every style 911 since 78 I believe, and bought a 996 C4S 1 week after we shook hands on the 993. In addition, he used to sell a specific enthusiast products for every year 911. I am not saying who he is on purpose....but everyone who has owned a 911 since the 911sc will know this guy. When I was sitting in his work area chatting with him, I asked him...."wait a minute.....what is this and that doing all over your work area?" Turns out I knew him, even though I had only heard of this guy. So the car was a unique find, and the person was also - and we have already made plans to stay in touch (I think he just cant "let go" of the 993 ! )
OK, I'll bite... who did you buy the car from?
Why in the world would it be a secret?

BTW, congrats on the deal.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:02 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Dude,

You should be arrested for that good deal. Congrats and you should join because the resources here are incredable and one needs to support the community.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:10 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Quad,
I know, I only have "9 posts" and the "street cred" comment does sound a little "fast-and-furious" (lol, funny comment) - but didn't mean it that way. my comment, "993's are special cars....and when I am done with mine, it will be one of the nicest 993s out there ! " ....Is just my anticipation of taking good care and doing tasteful upgrades to the car. When I am done, make a judgement then.

As far as credibility and experience - yes, I have some experience, but most importantly, I have a lot of connections across the pond in Stuttgart, Weissach, Leonberg, and Pfaffenhausen and I am on first name basis with all your favorite people in the porsche tuning world including some famous porsche race car drivers and ex-porsche test drivers.

But, I was referring to something else... but I will come clean with what this is with this community on my own timetable. I just was enjoying this new car, it puts a grin on my face for the past 72 hours....the 993's are amazing cars. So, hopefully, we can move on to the business of enjoying these fine cars.

993inNC,
Having said that, our new friend Mr. Alpina needs to pony up for the membership so he can fully enjoy the perks and wisdom of this place if he is going to upset the cart with a purchase (and post)like that.
----> Response: 2 yr membership purchase 1 minute ago!!!!

I like the comments that this puts smiles on people's faces, I also like the idea of people stopping other porsche owners on the highway to make a deal! The more the better!!!
The following users liked this post:
ehanauer (03-26-2020)
Old 12-14-2006, 06:17 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD

--> I will ask him if it is ok to post about him.... I was just trying to respect his privacy. (I hope others would do the same).
Old 12-14-2006, 06:18 PM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice and smart buy and well worth the risk as now you can mod like crazy!!
Old 12-14-2006, 06:52 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

--> I will ask him if it is ok to post about him.... I was just trying to respect his privacy. (I hope others would do the same).
Ah, I see. Not a bad idea I guess.
You just got me curious
Old 12-14-2006, 07:26 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quad,
I know, I only have "9 posts" and the "street cred" comment does sound a little "fast-and-furious" (lol, funny comment) - but didn't mean it that way. my comment, "993's are special cars....and when I am done with mine, it will be one of the nicest 993s out there ! " ....Is just my anticipation of taking good care and doing tasteful upgrades to the car. When I am done, make a judgement then.

As far as credibility and experience - yes, I have some experience, but most importantly, I have a lot of connections across the pond in Stuttgart, Weissach, Leonberg, and Pfaffenhausen and I am on first name basis with all your favorite people in the porsche tuning world including some famous porsche race car drivers and ex-porsche test drivers.

But, I was referring to something else... but I will come clean with what this is with this community on my own timetable. I just was enjoying this new car, it puts a grin on my face for the past 72 hours....the 993's are amazing cars. So, hopefully, we can move on to the business of enjoying these fine cars.

993inNC,

I like the comments that this puts smiles on people's faces, I also like the idea of people stopping other porsche owners on the highway to make a deal! The more the better!!!
I applaud your ability to keep composer when others would take off like a rocket haing felt the sense of being "flamed".
Welcome to the "list". Look forward to experiencing your described "cred"
Old 12-14-2006, 07:43 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey alpinadvl..!

You beat me with your purchase!!! I got mine from a lead from Alfie at Ira (thanks again Alfie!!) for a whopping $16,000 - which did include an extra set of wheels, though..

That was back in November of 2003.... And I'm still loving it!!!!!

Now - about the color of your car - PERFECT!!!
About a little body work needed - PERFECT!!!
About the RSRs, LWF, filling the bumperette holes, clear turn signals, filling the headlight washers, PSS9s, lowering, Gerts SS kit, replacing the lamp assembly's, shifter upgrade, 18" twist rims, pulling the engine, redoing the lifters, taking care of any rust, replacing the windshield, doing... Nevermind... (PUSH down that slippery slope )

Seriously - CONGRATS!!! Your 993, being white - can flat out - run faster and better than any 993 out there ('cept mine )...

And it's a C4, you say?? (Mine, too )

John D.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:08 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Quad,

993inNC,

Is this 993 for Michael Richards, Jerry?
Old 12-14-2006, 08:23 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD

If you are curious...nothing that a $20 carfax can't cure...
VIN number : WPOAA2998SS323461
Old 12-14-2006, 08:25 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Any porsche enthusiast knows the market. Why would anyone leave money on the table? A freaking SC is worth 15k.... If the car pans out, you are still giving it away at 25k. This whole thing does not make sense....
Old 12-14-2006, 08:27 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great find Alpina. I hope to find a similar deal on a GT3 one day! (white...of course)

Welcome to Rennlist.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:31 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Great find Alpina. I hope to find a similar deal on a GT3 one day! (white...of course)

Welcome to Rennlist.
+1.........accept for the white, we all know BLACK is stealthier

Quick Reply: Announcement: Carrera 4 - bought for $15,000 2 days ago