Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Stripped headlight adjustment screws - any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Reuben
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped headlight adjustment screws - any suggestions?

Somehow, over the years, the screws for adjusting my headlights (both sides) have ceased to function, whether using an Allen key from inside the trunk or even with the light assembly out.

Before I embark on a major DIY job (I am thinking along the lines of opening up some jubilee clips and attaching two to each headlight - for vertical and horizontal adjustment) I just wanted to garner some input from other Rennlisters who may have experienced a similar problem. Replacing the headlights is an expensive option, to be avoided if at all possible.

And yes, I have done a search...

Thank you!
Old 12-08-2006, 03:32 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I had the same problem, but just on one headlight. The adjusting mechanism inside the headlight unit is made of white plastic, and is not the most durable. You can buy good used headlights as replacement, or you can buy headlights that are in poor shape maybe for a lower price, and swap the adjusting mechanism (that's what I did). You can find these on ebay, just be aware that the L and R units are different. I paid around $100 for a unit in pretty good shape--the lens was sand-pitted, otherwise it was good.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:18 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Does anyone have a link to a good 993 headlight aiming description? Since lowering the car, the headlights seem off. Not sure if they really are, or if I just never checked in the past. If it matters, I have the factory Litronics.

Andreas
Old 12-08-2006, 08:02 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I had the same problem. Fortunately I had an accident on that side and needed to replace the smashed light. ;-)

I took it all apart before this and could not get to work properly- it ended up being too high but I could adjust the lateral adjuster so tho high I aimed it down the road away from oncoming traffic.

The lights are cheap from Vertex- buy a pair- when I had to replace mine after the accident, the new one's lens was so crystal clear I now need to replace the other fully functional one.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:09 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

You can buy the lenses separately. There is a pair on ebay for about $80 each. Again, they are L and R, so be sure to get the side you need.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:31 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Did not know that- thanks.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:41 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just did this adjustment to a light unit on mine a week or so ago. I fully disassembled mine to the point where I could grab hold of one of the threaded rods. I lubed it with Pedro's (not just for windshield gaskets anymore!) and used a pair of pliers on the area of thread that would not be needed. I simply matched the adjustments of both threaded rods to my correctly aimed light and it was all good. Those aluminum allen head adjustment screws just pop outward and then you can pull the rods out. Just take it slow and be gentle. It will all come apart and you'll be set. Only tough part is if the other light is nowhere close in its adjustment. Then it may be a trial and error method. Good news is you still have 48+ hours of weekend left to get it done! Good Luck!
Old 12-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Reuben
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Appreciate the input and suggesttions. I'll try to modify my headlight assemblies before throwing in the proverbial towel and ordering new parts.

Quick Reply: Stripped headlight adjustment screws - any suggestions?