Sponsored by:

Mystery Wiper Fluid Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006 | 02:44 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mystery Wiper Fluid Warning Light

this one is starting to bug me and I didn't see anything in search. My wiper fluid warning light illuminates weekly, even though I continue to fill the reservoir with water. I notice the light will come on either when parked on a slope or during heavy acceleration, so the sensor must be in the forward section of the tank. I don't see a leak and the front luggage area is dry, so this is something of a mystery to me. Lastly, I rarely use wiper fluid to wash the windshield or the front headlights. thoughts?
Old 12-07-2006 | 02:52 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

That's funny, mine started doing the same thing. I never use the washer fluid, so I thought maybe it just got low on it's own, over time. So, I filled mine all the way up, and then the next day, light came on again. I don't see any leakage, like the tank is cracked. It's been a very intermitten thing, so I haven't got in there to investigate it yet. Let me know if you fix this, and I will do the same.
Old 12-07-2006 | 02:56 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think some clarification may be needed. It almost seems like you both may have different problems.

Is the tank level going down over a short amount of time, thereby causing the light to go on? Then, when refilled, the light goes out for a while?

Or, did the light go on, you refilled the tank, then the light continues to come on despite the tank still being filled?

Despite a lack of fluid on the ground or trunk, it would seem to be easy to determine if this is a leak in the tank or a bad switch/wiring issue.
Old 12-07-2006 | 03:30 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

The tank doesn't appear to be going down. The light illuminates irratically, sometimes after heavy accel, and sometimes goes out by itself. I am suspecting a sensor problem, either mechanical or electrical, but have not investigeted it yet.
Old 12-07-2006 | 05:18 PM
Randy 1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. I thought I was the only one. I've had the light, but steadily. Haven't had the chance to check the resevoir to see if it's dropping, but I never use the washer fluid, even for headlights.
Old 12-07-2006 | 05:37 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

for me, it goes like this: get light; fill tank; light goes out. One week later, light goes on, fill tank, light goes off, and so forth. Not sure if this'll cause any damage, but I could put some dye into the tank and hit it with a UV light, similar to checking for A/C leaks. I too suspect its a sensor, but I have no clue where to look/start.

Darin - you still liking that LWF? I've been procrastinating, but I'm planning next April to make this happen...maybe organize an engine drop party for east bay listers...
Old 12-07-2006 | 06:41 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slider
for me, it goes like this: get light; fill tank; light goes out. One week later, light goes on, fill tank, light goes off, and so forth. Not sure if this'll cause any damage, but I could put some dye into the tank and hit it with a UV light, similar to checking for A/C leaks. I too suspect its a sensor, but I have no clue where to look/start.

Darin - you still liking that LWF? I've been procrastinating, but I'm planning next April to make this happen...maybe organize an engine drop party for east bay listers...
Oh yeah. A new Rennlist buddy (practically in my backyard), Mark, just pulled his engine this weekend. He is doing the DM setup, because he has a '95. I am definately still liking the LWF!
Old 12-07-2006 | 07:32 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

The sending unit sucks on these things. VERY easy to change. Removing the forward inner fender liner on the drivers side and the three bolts that hold in the reservior will give you access. First, the reservoir is like 11 quarts anyway. The light is supposed to go on when it gets down to around 4 quarts... CRAZY>>>
Old 12-07-2006 | 07:58 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by viperbob
First, the reservoir is like 11 quarts anyway. The light is supposed to go on when it gets down to around 4 quarts... CRAZY>>>
So, does anyone know how to trick the sender so the light doesn't come on? I don't have easy access to a wiring diagram. I guess if the switch was normally open, you could just unplug it??? I'd like to drain the tank and save 20lbs. since I never use any of the squirters.
Old 12-07-2006 | 08:34 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by VNTGSPD
So, does anyone know how to trick the sender so the light doesn't come on? I don't have easy access to a wiring diagram. I guess if the switch was normally open, you could just unplug it??? I'd like to drain the tank and save 20lbs. since I never use any of the squirters.

You are correct. Disconnect the sensor and the system will be happy... I also removed the tank from my car. The thing with motors weighs around 8-9 lbs...
Old 12-08-2006 | 01:49 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

thanks Bob. good to have you back on the board on a regular basis.

Quick Reply: Mystery Wiper Fluid Warning Light