Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with options for child sitting up front in a 993?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need help with options for child sitting up front in a 993?!?!

and no I'm not talking about me being the child up front!!

O.K., first off, I have done a search and I'm not finding any answers. I know my two options are as follows:

1) Get the letter of approval from the NHTSA and have a non-Porsche air bag on-off switch installed in my car. I already have the letter and my mechanic said he would install it for me.

2) Purchase the Porsche child seat with the system that plugs intot eh seat belt and bypasses the airbag.

Here are my problems:

1) I can use the non-Porsche system, but I want to make sure it is installed right. My mechanic said you don't have to hook it up to the actual airbag since you can hook the switch up in the same way the factory system is set up. Is this correct or not?

2) The dealer said they do not make a seat with a bypass system for the 993 anymore. If there is one out there that fits our cars, what is the name of it and where is the best place to get one?

Anyone got any ideas which seat works for the 993 airbag bypass (even if it is a 996 design)? or should I just go with the other type of bypass switch?

Thanks
Robert
Old 11-27-2006, 04:16 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've read that the dealer airbag deactivation (and compatible child seats) is only available starting with 1997 models. So that eliminates all options but one right there.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:19 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the switch from www.airbagonoff.com. They have a network of installers that will install for you.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Father of 3
I used the switch from www.airbagonoff.com. They have a network of installers that will install for you.
I contacted them and it was around a $500 install. Is there a way to get the switching part and have it installed by someone else?
Old 11-27-2006, 09:45 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow, that's a lot. My install cost me about $80 per car IIRC or $260 or so all in. I'm sure there is a way. The technical gurus on Rennlist should be able to help you out (I am not one of them).
Old 11-27-2006, 09:55 PM
hyphenf15
Pro

I was able to get my seat in the back. Any reason you have to go front seat? I researched the same after market airbag off place as posted above. But I ended up putting the seat in the back so I did not modify my car. Probably not much help.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:07 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Robert,
Where did you get the switch? How much?
Thanks
Old 11-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Greg! Long time no see.... Well, here's the deal. I purchased the switch from Robert at www.airbagonoff.com for about $145. The problem is that their only local installer in the Nashville, TN area is a company that installs stuff for disabled drivers. No offense to disabled drivers or installers, but I do not think they have experience in pulling the guts out of a 993TT dashboard.

The good news is my mechanic Wicky who owns Renntag Motorwerks in Nashville has installed them before and he said it was probably a 1-2 hour job. So parts and labor should run about $300. I will report back to you when he's done if you are interested in a drive down here. We could go for a fun drive with the kids after he's done!!!
Old 11-28-2006, 05:53 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Robert,
Hope you are doing well, from the looks of your garage business must be! Airbagoff.com referred me to the same type of company in Lexington. I wasn't too keen on that either.
I will see if my local guy is up for the install or not, if not I may make a trip to Nashville.
Let me know how it goes.
Thanks
Old 11-28-2006, 08:22 PM
98_993_cab
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why the front seat??

Just my 2 cents worth ... Echoing 'hyphenf15', why put the kid up front if they can still fit in back? Search the web for more info, e.g. "NHTSA recommends placing all children 12 and under in the rear seat. That is the safest place."

NHTSA http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...pplbag.qa.html

National Safety Belt Coalition http://www.nsc.org/traf/sbc/sbcchild.htm
Old 11-28-2006, 10:08 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 98_993_cab
Just my 2 cents worth ... Echoing 'hyphenf15', why put the kid up front if they can still fit in back? Search the web for more info, e.g. "NHTSA recommends placing all children 12 and under in the rear seat. That is the safest place."

NHTSA http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...pplbag.qa.html

National Safety Belt Coalition http://www.nsc.org/traf/sbc/sbcchild.htm

If we were talking about a sedan, then I agree 100% and my daughter (8 y/o) is always in the back seat in my 530. For the 993, two issues I have. First is the front seat back, even when pulled up is pretty close to her, and she would certainly hit it in an accident. Second, I have not been able to fit a booster seat in the back to my satisfaction, it sits in crooked and not level. I can fit that seat in properly in the front seat though. Also if you need to put a infant seat in the car it is next to impossible to fit it correctly in the back. I think the front with the seat in the full back position is at least as safe it not more so in the 993.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:40 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Just my 2 cents worth
You know, this is a sad thing and endemic of parenting in the U.S. Try reading parenting forums sometimes--there's always someone pushing towards the lowest common denominator. It starts with "it's safer to put your child in back than in front" kind of statements. Why stop there? It's safer to drive your kid around in a Hummer. You're a bad parent for taking him for a ride in the Porsche. It's safer to keep them locked in a padded room with a bicycle helmet on, too.

Good parenting is about letting your children experience the excitement of life, the real world learning experiences that shape their personalities and (hopefully) help them grow into well-rounded, fulfilled, adults. There are *gasp* risks associated with that. I'd rather help my son travel and experence as much as he can in the world--while adequately managing the risks involved--than keep him safe in the back seat of a minivan turning into American Youth Veal like so many others.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:43 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I gave up on the booster in the back seat for my 3 and 6 year old. They ride around back there with just seat belts - low and nestled in the small seats back there. One time driving around with the booster in the back, my son almost choked on the chest belt cause it slipped down bacause the base rides on top of the seat base. Thats not safe!

The bottom line is that you can model accidents but nothing can simulate all accident scenarios. I read that all 2007 Toyotas - including the "safe Camry" you konw the one that with the fat **** - failed due to their headrests. Do you hear of any class action lawsuits or people walking around in neck braces because they were in an accident in their Toyota?

My wife tells me that theres a push from moms she knows are keeping their kids in car seats up to 60-80 lbs. Kids seats have got to be good right? Well I recently read an article that they (I forget who) are finding that keeping a kid in a child seat and not switching them to booster can do more damage due to the design of the smaller belts, the inevitable twisting and gaps between the childs chest and belt than just putting them in a booster and using the car restraint system. Parents are actually doing more damage by "protecting" their kid longer in a car seat!

I trust the cars restraint system and eliminate the additional variables of a 3rd party seat system.

I may sound like I dont care about safety, but it was only 30 years ago that the back seat was used like a toyroom with no seatbelts or car seats for the kids. I think kids (and drivers) are much better off these days...

Good luck on 993 kid car seat nirvana. I never found it. And when your kids are in the car pay even more attention to the road than you normally do - trying to prevent the accident is the best thing you can do.

Last edited by tj90; 11-29-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:09 PM
98_993_cab
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
You know, this is a sad thing and endemic of parenting in the U.S. Try reading parenting forums sometimes--there's always someone pushing towards the lowest common denominator. It starts with "it's safer to put your child in back than in front" kind of statements. Why stop there? It's safer to drive your kid around in a Hummer. You're a bad parent for taking him for a ride in the Porsche. It's safer to keep them locked in a padded room with a bicycle helmet on, too.

Good parenting is about letting your children experience the excitement of life, the real world learning experiences that shape their personalities and (hopefully) help them grow into well-rounded, fulfilled, adults. There are *gasp* risks associated with that. I'd rather help my son travel and experence as much as he can in the world--while adequately managing the risks involved--than keep him safe in the back seat of a minivan turning into American Youth Veal like so many others.
I had a witty reply all queued up for RallyJon, however I decided it wouldn't be prudent to post it at this juncture in time.

BTW, I missed the earlier bit in the thread that was advocating minivans, Hummers, banning kids from Porsches, and eating veal while wearing a bicycle helmet. Hang on a mo... this is a Porsche site?? Who knew!!
Old 11-29-2006, 01:14 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Not here. Your post just stirred up bad memories of asking around on the web trying to find car seats that fit in compact cars. Lots of self-righteous-parents out there who prefer to preach than to answer the d*mn question.

Quick Reply: Need help with options for child sitting up front in a 993?!?!