Sponsored by:

Slightly OT, New Z06 impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 09:08 PM
B2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Came to my 993 from having a Vette

I came to my 993 after one year owing a black '02 Vette coupe, no doubt a stealth, very fast machine.

As I do most my cruising on PCH in Southern California, the Vette it was a pain in the **** to navigate and park. Visibility sucked and it got hung up on the slightest dips into a driveways.

The bloody doors alone were so long getting out in any decent size parking spot turned me into a gymnast.

For just everyday, real life driving (no dyno read outs or track times) there's no comparasion to the fun of driving a 993.

Besides, new Vettes are as common as Honda's.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:43 PM
quick
Intermediate

If P-car guys and Corvette guys didn't have some lively banter, what would the world be coming to? Which group of drivers play more in the street? Which group of drivers have more comb-overs? Which group of drivers are fatter? Whatever....

I've owned both, too--an older 911SC and I have a 2003 Z06 now. I haven't driven a newer p-car on the track, so I do not have anything contemporary to compare it with from first hand experience, but the C5Z is very quick on the track--any track. 911 GT3s, bone stock, in my experience present a driver's tossup with a C5Z, bone stock. I've run with them many times in my former 04 Z06. 911 Turbos with Sport Cups are probably comparable or maybe a little quicker than the Z, bone stock. I think the AWD turbo is easier to drive really fast than the GT3. The stock C5Z will overheat at the track after about 20 or so minutes, requiring a slower lap or two for cool down--easily remedied with a $60 oil cooler, however-- and the brakes do need bleeding on a daily basis from hard track duty. Other than that, they are nearly indestructible, despite all of the quality comments here. There are at least two diff ways to address quality--squeaks, rattles and leather quality v mech reliability--mechanically, C5Zs are nearly bulletproof.

Now, what no one has mentioned about the C6 Z06 is that it was developed in harmony with the C6R race car. It was tested by Johnny O'Connell and other C6R drivers; it has a dry sump motor; it has coolers for everything; it has very light weight for its size; it has an engine with a big displacement but very small external dimensions set way back and low in the chassis for about 50/50 wt distribu and a low center of gravity; it is very, very fast in every way--straights or corners. It has an unobtrusive stability control system so even lesser drivers can go very, very fast.

It has three shortcomings--its brakes have imposing specs, but they are hard to maintain for the track--lots of little brake pads rather than 2 large pads per caliper and silly drilled rotors. Serious track junkies replace them with Stop Tech or other aftermarket sets. It has had some roof delamination problems with the outside SMC--fixed under warranty and all, but embarrasing. And, at really high speeds, it really hasn't enough downforce, but Chevy doesn't want to kill tire wear and gas mileage.

It is also a fine, tractable and quiet grocery getter. The motor doesn't open up its singing voice until the muffler's secondary exhaust valves open at higher RPMs. It is rated at 16/26 EPA mileage, even with all of that motor. You can have a new 07 Z for about 77,000; any competitive P-Car is surely over 100K.

What's the better car? I dunno--depends on your criteria, of which there are many. But, at the track, any stock street Porsche, short of a Carrera GT or maybe a GT2, and maybe even a GT2, will probably find its hands full with a C6 Z06 with similar drivers at the helm. The 'Ring times address that pretty well. What does that prove? Well, it proves what it proves.

See you at the track....
Old 01-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by quick
What's the better car? I dunno--depends on your criteria, of which there are many. But, at the track, any stock street Porsche, short of a Carrera GT or maybe a GT2, and maybe even a GT2, will probably find its hands full with a C6 Z06 with similar drivers at the helm. The 'Ring times address that pretty well. What does that prove? Well, it proves what it proves.
what it proves is that the c6 is quick at the 'ring. not many places compare to the 'ring- certainly not most of the tracks we all visit.

i agree with your comments, with the exception of the last part about the vette v. gt2. but really, what makes one car 'better' than another? i think that's where all the spirited discussion comes from. none of us can agree on what to argue about!
Old 01-03-2007, 08:18 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Which car is better, the one you bought! For me a Porsche 996C4S, for you probably the 993. The one thing I thing we can agree is that the Corvette is an outstanding car but since I bought a Porsche then we all know that it is a proven fact that a Porsche is better hands down!

Quick Reply: Slightly OT, New Z06 impressions