Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Got My First Rolex! A Green Submariner!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006 | 11:09 PM
Pzkw993
Instructor

Originally Posted by CP
In a watch, I see the correct time.
Not in a Rolex you won't, COSC certification aside!

It's probably a measure of our degraded, cowardly age that grown men spend a moment of their time thinking about watches, Porsches, mutual funds, or houses. Sixty-five years ago, the men of my family were storming across Africa scattering the British like rodents, wearing whatever watch the Wehrmacht handed out. Thirty-five years ago, my father turned down a chance to play professional baseball so he could volunteer for Vietnam. He was wearing a cheap Hamilton, I believe. Today I sit on a message board and read endless bragging about such outrageously sissified topics as equity in homes and non-timed trackdays. Thank G-d I have an eight thousand dollar watch to wear while I do it.

There's some kind of lesson here, but I'm going to do my best to ignore it.
Old 11-30-2006 | 11:18 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally Posted by Pzkw993
Not in a Rolex you won't, COSC certification aside!

It's probably a measure of our degraded, cowardly age that grown men spend a moment of their time thinking about watches, Porsches, mutual funds, or houses. Sixty-five years ago, the men of my family were storming across Africa scattering the British like rodents, wearing whatever watch the Wehrmacht handed out. Thirty-five years ago, my father turned down a chance to play professional baseball so he could volunteer for Vietnam. He was wearing a cheap Hamilton, I believe. Today I sit on a message board and read endless bragging about such outrageously sissified topics as equity in homes and non-timed trackdays. Thank G-d I have an eight thousand dollar watch to wear while I do it.

yes,
You are spending far too much time on "message boards"
Is that a white 993 you have?
Old 11-30-2006 | 11:34 PM
Pzkw993
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fillipe
yes,
You are spending far too much time on "message boards"
Is that a white 993 you have?
Yup. '95 GP White, very few options (LSD, ABD, power seats, factory color-matched Cup IIs)

Old 11-30-2006 | 11:38 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Yup. '95 GP White, very few options (LSD, ABD, power seats, factory color-matched Cup IIs)

very nice. Little body roll.......what suspension do you have?
Old 11-30-2006 | 11:48 PM
Pzkw993
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fillipe
very nice. Little body roll.......what suspension do you have?
Unfortunately, it's the stock, 74,200-mile factory US non-M030 springs and shocks... enough to PAX reasonably well at regional events but not enough to do anything other than hold up the tail of a Solo National. After evaluating what it would take to make the car nationally competitive, I decided just to buy a Boxster S and run that at Nationals instead
Old 12-01-2006 | 01:05 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thirty-five years ago, my father turned down a chance to play professional baseball so he could volunteer for Vietnam. He was wearing a cheap Hamilton, I believe.
It never became an uncomfortable hunk of metal stuck up someone's *** did it? (nod to Pulp Fiction). I can't think of the name of the actor who turned the watch over to the young Bruce Willis.
Old 12-01-2006 | 01:45 AM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John H
It never became an uncomfortable hunk of metal stuck up someone's *** did it? (nod to Pulp Fiction). I can't think of the name of the actor who turned the watch over to the young Bruce Willis.
Christopher Walken. Great scene.
Old 12-01-2006 | 02:09 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Dont worry - considering the current state of Geopolitics (Iran's apocalyptic prayers at the UN and "urgent" warnings to the nobel Americans) we may all get an opportunity to wear camos..... In an instant forgetting all about equity and fancy watches.
Old 12-08-2006 | 08:14 PM
Future911
Intermediate

This is a 60mm the biggest ive ever found period... And its the biggest i'll ever own..
Old 12-08-2006 | 08:18 PM
Future911
Intermediate

Sorry here it is
Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2006 | 05:37 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trojanman
Christopher Walken. Great scene.
Agreed! Perfect casting.
Old 12-11-2006 | 09:35 PM
Future911
Intermediate

Yes it is james..
Old 12-19-2006 | 07:46 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

This is quite the thread and an great wealth of watch information.

Is there any value to buying vintage Rolex watches, or does the premium you pay out weight the new price.

Anyway, since it is Christmas and I bought my C4S this year I was thinking of getting a rolex watch for my wife. I was looking at a new Ladies President, but I would be interested in finding a vintage watch in great shape. Any recomendations of a good dealer for new/ used rolex.

This is what I was thinking.
http://www.tic-tock.com/images/watches/C32516.jpg
Old 12-19-2006 | 08:25 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Don't know if anyone has posted, but I went for the Blancpain Flyback...understated and a brilliant piece of kit. Best time I've ever had from an automatic....
Old 12-19-2006 | 08:49 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

to jaholmes: As far as vintage Rolex info, check out Timezone.com, the Rolex vintage forum for all the information you would or could ever need!

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...eadt&frm_id=63

Good luck,
Steve R

Quick Reply: OT: Got My First Rolex! A Green Submariner!