Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Got My First Rolex! A Green Submariner!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 01:25 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,686 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by H20NOO
http://www.tic-tock.com/wingates/wat...on-Constantin/

A dozen Vacheron's for under $10k.

That Royal Eagle Chrono - Large Date Stainless is a nice addition to any wrist at $9,750 (retail $14,500) with NO SALES TAX!

Royal Oak for $5,450 (http://www.tic-tock.com/wingates/watch-detail/20737)

A dozen Royal Oak Offshore(s) for $13,850 (new) and a titanium Royal Oak Offshore for $11,650 (pre-owned). http://www.tic-tock.com/wingates/wat...demars-Piguet/

All - much better choices than any Rolex in my opinion.

MC

ah... i should not have asked..... now i am in trouble.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:29 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow,
you guys have some great watches.
I feel unworthy........I only have two IWC's, one Roler.Prez a Glasshutte Orginal......and a few seikos.
Hey If anyone needs a Roler Prez, mine may be for sale..soon...........
Old 11-27-2006, 04:10 AM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice watch I collect them. always believed that rolex is the best watch out there . great investment...
Old 11-27-2006, 10:28 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fillipe
wow,
you guys have some great watches.
I feel unworthy........I only have two IWC's, one Roler.Prez a Glasshutte Orginal......and a few seikos.
Hey If anyone needs a Roler Prez, mine may be for sale..soon...........

Now there's a watch I truly admire but rarely mention because so few people have heard of it. Glasshutte Original - another of the German watches emerging to challenge Swiss horological supremacy. What model G.O. if you don't mind me asking?

MC
Old 11-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by H20NOO
Now there's a watch I truly admire but rarely mention because so few people have heard of it. Glasshutte Original - another of the German watches emerging to challenge Swiss horological supremacy. What model G.O. if you don't mind me asking?

MC
Panoreserve
Old 11-27-2006, 06:43 PM
Pzkw993
Instructor

There sure are a lot of big players on this board I don't have a lot of stuff - my father gave me an IWC Portugese FA Jones, and I won an IWC Ingenieur AMG for FTD at the AMG Challenge. My daily wear/autocrossing watch is an Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow. It's durable and the '05 models have apparently fixed the intial return-to-zero problems.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:48 PM
mborkow
Drifting

the panerais are really beautiful. but i have to ask: are they as well made as swiss watches? my experience with italian merchandise (in general) is that when it works, it works better than anything else...but that it will spend a lot of time in the shop and will require a lot of maintenace (sorta like ferraris, or high end espresso machines)
Old 11-27-2006, 06:57 PM
creator8
Instructor

Originally Posted by mborkow
the panerais are really beautiful. but i have to ask: are they as well made as swiss watches? my experience with italian merchandise (in general) is that when it works, it works better than anything else...but that it will spend a lot of time in the shop and will require a lot of maintenace (sorta like ferraris, or high end espresso machines)
I have three Panerai's in my collection and personally they are my favorites. Always keep great time and are very durable. I love the simple look of them and the weight. I wear all my watches on a regular basis. No probs with Italian merch here. I also have a Stainless and gold Sub which after 19 years has corrosion on the gold of the hands. I guess its ready for a service!

A Rolex is a must have for any collection and you can't beat the classic though distinctive design of the Panerais.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:02 PM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Swiss made, Italian design.... Panerai has a fanatical following much like Ferrari and Porsche. Panerai also makes a line of Ferrari watches.

http://www.panerai.com/s_page.xpd?id...2&id_sezione=4
Old 11-27-2006, 07:49 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just sent my Seadweller in for a clean and servicing and it's been running non stop for 20 YEARS this past October (except for a few cleanings). I can sell it for more than I paid for it very easily. Hard to say that about a lot of things. I have to admit I've been eyeing the Daytona but apparently they are very hard to get your hands on. BTW, what is the best route if trading a Rolex in...is it better to sell it on the open market? I was told about 10 years ago or so by a Rolex dealer that they'd give me 50% of CURRENT retail price on my Seadweller towards a new watch but I don't know if anyone would still honor that.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:02 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

I was actually really close to purchasing a Sub when I ran across the Panerai brand and fell in love/lust. As others have indicated, the design is distinctive and unique in it's simplicity... although the size and weight of the case is substantial. Mine is a titanium case on a leather strap and it's still quite heavy. I'd guess it would be too much on a SS bracelet.

As others have said, the Panerai following is nothing short of passionate and their brand-specific forum on TimeZone is akin to our 993 forum here on Rennlist. Maybe that's why I bought one!

Cheers and Fight On.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:13 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Seems like members here like substential and hefty watch pieces. I like light ones. If I can get by, I'd rather not wear a watch at all.

I have an Omega Seamaster (circa 1950 vintage) I inherited from my dad. I wear it daily. It is a great watch.

Otherwise, I am as ignorant in fine watches as in fine wine.

CP
Old 11-28-2006, 02:27 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Glasshutte: this is not a piece for beginners. when my collection exceeds 10 pcs, i will add one.
for the distant future, saving for a lange 1
transatlantic chrono

because of this very thread, i completed my rolex collectoin TODAY (exp 1, exp 2, sea dweller, SS daytona). i drove from SF to LA, met up with PDX Tim, bought his BNIB blk dial SSD, and drove from LA back to SF: 8am to 8pm. tim was great to deal with and the watch is beautiful.

next immediate target would be pam 127, or 217, and 212 (all eric's fault).
Old 11-28-2006, 02:50 AM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mooty congrats. I'm not sure your Rolex collection is complete, what about a wht dial SSD?
Old 11-28-2006, 03:01 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by EricGT3
Mooty congrats. I'm not sure your Rolex collection is complete, what about a wht dial SSD?
as soon as you pass your spot on the "assured" waiting list, i will take it off your hands.

Quick Reply: OT: Got My First Rolex! A Green Submariner!