Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does putting miles on my 993 make me feel guilty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 08:49 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Honestly, I wish I could do what you do (namely drive the car in the winter with salted roads). That is the one thing that I can't bring myself to do...thus why my car is getting ready to be put away for the winter (even added the Stabil to a fresh tank of gas this morning).
Drive it through the winter. My winters are a little snowier than Michigans, probably a little colder but equally as long. Enjoy that car. Wash it when it gets salty. The only issue is pock marks on the bumper cover after a few winters, so what spend a few hundred and re-spray it. The only rust I have on my car is where all Porsche's rust near the lower corners of the windows. Fixed that this past spring (very very minor rust). My body shop commented what great condition the car is in. I recently "Waxoyled" the undercarriage and such so it should be good for a few more winters. Just take care of it, it'll be fine.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...
Old 11-09-2006, 09:43 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are 2 classes of cars:

The kind that wear out and get thrown away because they aren't worth keeping up. Most cars fall in this category.

The other category of cars are those that are so well made, that a reasonable amount of maintenence and care will keep them running indefinitely. Older Volvos, older Mercedes, and most Porsches fall into this category.

I plan to keep and drive and maintain my car for many years to come. When it needs a clutch, it will get a clutch. When the engine needs rebuilding, it will get rebuilt. When the paint is too ratty, it will get painted. And I will be enjoying driving all those years.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:28 AM
Deanriffs
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just remember, even if you end up driving your 993 "into the ground" you can always sell it and start over with a different car, a pristine garage queen 993 if so desired, correct?

These mental games can help...okay, maybe I'm a little off!
Old 11-10-2006, 12:43 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,041 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanriffs
Just remember, even if you end up driving your 993 "into the ground" you can always sell it and start over with a different car, a pristine garage queen 993 if so desired, correct?

These mental games can help...okay, maybe I'm a little off!
That's not a mental game, it's my MO. Toys are made to be played with not for storing behind glass cabinets. And when you're done playing with it, be it because you've worn it out from too much playing or because you're bored of it (hard to conceive), there is always another one around the corner.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:11 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Take your car to the track and let the miles rack up there. You'll get more smiles per mile than on the street, have far fewer miles on the car and get to know your car's capabilities, as well as be able to refine your own skills, far better than time spent on the road. I've had my car for four years and have only racked up about 10,000 miles on it, most of it track miles. The pure pleasure I've gotten out of tracking this car has been far greater than watching it sit in the garage or tooling around the highway at 75mph.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:29 AM
Monty
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine's done 160,000 miles and rarely needs any oil top up and goes like stink. Engine never been opened. Just make sure oil/filters changed as per service schedule and you warm it up before spanking it and yours will probably easily double it's mileage too.

Seriously, there are lots of high mileage 993's out there so drive it !!
Old 11-10-2006, 10:21 AM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

On a very similar note... Here's a question I've always wondered about that maybe guys like Mark could answer...

How would you compare track miles vs street miles as far as wear and tear goes? Both cosmetically and mechanically?
Old 11-10-2006, 12:57 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From my own experience, I personally consider track miles to be a 1-5+ kind of thing....1 track mile = 5+ street miles.
I have never had any 911 that I have owned break while driving through traffic at 80mph but I have had my share of mechanical failures on the track.....especially gearbox & clutch failures.

Try running the POC 4hr enduro and have your 915 transmission fluid cooler pump fail, my tranny got so hot that the dog teeth were literally fused to the sliders!, requiring a complete rebuild to the tune of $3500.00............................I've never even heard of that happening on the street!

Maybe if you only drove the track at highway speeds and didn't late brake into corners and short shifted, it might come down to 1-3 or something like that, but don't be fooled, track racing is very very hard on any vehicle and 993's are not exempt.

ZP44
Old 11-10-2006, 01:19 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think about miles...I just follow 2 rules for any vintage/classic P-car (yes...IMHO the 993 already falls in this category!)...

1- I never drive in bad weather...if there's considerable chance of rain...the car stays in the garage.
2- I don't take the car for short drives...if it's coming out of the garage, it'll be for way more than the necessary distance to reach ideal operation temperature.

Drive, respect and keep them for the next custodian...
Old 11-10-2006, 01:23 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What can I say? I gave in to my guilt and purchased a used 99 Nissan Altima from the dealer last night. My buddy is a technician there and went through the car. Not a gem but its going to be perfect for commuting and anytime I'm afraid of driving or parking the 993 someplace (it may even help me avoid the potential for getting in fights - at least while not on the hockey rink anyway! See my earlier threads with rants on people parking too close on purpose or pretending to kick my car for no reason.) I think I just turned my 993 into a high-mile garage queen!
Old 11-10-2006, 01:39 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedro356C
I don't think about miles...I just follow 2 rules for any vintage/classic P-car (yes...IMHO the 993 already falls in this category!)...

1- I never drive in bad weather...if there's considerable chance of rain...the car stays in the garage.
2- I don't take the car for short drives...if it's coming out of the garage, it'll be for way more than the necessary distance to reach ideal operation temperature.

Drive, respect and keep them for the next custodian...
Im pretty much the same way accept I take it for short trips all the time but end up taking the scenic route and it turns into a 20 mile venture! If Im going to the grocery store thats 2 blocks from my house, bank on me being back home in 45 minutes.

I dont drive in rain/snow/bad weather.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:18 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

I am now the same way as you guys who don't drive in bad weather, short trips to the store etc. although in sunny CA as a weekend ride now, I bet I'll still put on more miles!
Old 11-10-2006, 05:59 PM
mborkow
Drifting

you saving the miles for the next owner? you bought the car. the miles are yours. use them.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:01 PM
mborkow
Drifting

i guess if you have a cab that makes sense...but i can't think of a reason not to drive a 993 coupe in the rain (especially a 4 or 4S).
Old 11-10-2006, 07:17 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mborkow
you saving the miles for the next owner? you bought the car. the miles are yours. use them.
While that is probably a reasonable point the counter arguement to that is simply a few less miles is a few less bucks on repairs to worn out parts. Very expensive parts I might add!

I think a few less days behind the wheel for commuting will make driving the car a little more exciting each time that I do and will no doubt lower my maintenance costs or at least extend the time between those expenses.

And what will I do with those dollars I don't spend on more frequent maintenance expenses and my new Altima?

THE SLIPPERY SLOPE AWAITS!!!!!

Quick Reply: Why does putting miles on my 993 make me feel guilty?