Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does putting miles on my 993 make me feel guilty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 02:25 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Now I'm weird, BUT... I don't feel guilty driving mine. I don't feel guilty driving in the rain. I don't feel guilty driving in the snow... after it has been salted. I don't feel guilty taking it through an auto carwash in January to get the snow off. I don't even feel guilty parking in the front half of a grocery store parking lot next to a minivan... with soccer ball decals on them... next to the cart return.

There is nothing wrong with people keeping a car in mint condition - if that is what you have a 993 for. But these cars are not babies or wimpy pieces of plastic wrapped around aluminum. They are tough and can handle daily driving with absolute minimal wear. So if you bought it to drive, I say drive and let the stone chips on the bumper be damned!
Old 11-09-2006, 02:28 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BS911
Now I'm weird, BUT... I don't feel guilty driving mine. I don't feel guilty driving in the rain. I don't feel guilty driving in the snow... after it has been salted. I don't feel guilty taking it through an auto carwash in January to get the snow off. I don't even feel guilty parking in the front half of a grocery store parking lot next to a minivan... with soccer ball decals on them... next to the cart return.

There is nothing wrong with people keeping a car in mint condition - if that is what you have a 993 for. But these cars are not babies or wimpy pieces of plastic wrapped around aluminum. They are tough and can handle daily driving with absolute minimal wear. So if you bought it to drive, I say drive and let the stone chips on the bumper be damned!
Honestly, I wish I could do what you do (namely drive the car in the winter with salted roads). That is the one thing that I can't bring myself to do...thus why my car is getting ready to be put away for the winter (even added the Stabil to a fresh tank of gas this morning).
Old 11-09-2006, 02:32 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Well... Michigan might be a tad tougher than Maryland winters. I'm starting to think about when to put the snow tires on. Probably not for a good few weeks yet. If I can make December that would be great.

To be fair, I do think my car shows more "use" than a non-year-round-driver ... but I wouldn't necessarily equate it to "wear". Don't ask me what the difference is though.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:38 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I was there with my first 911 but now I drive th $hit out of it. Like Phil says, "Life's too short". Another article reminded me that Porsche's are meant to be driven.

Ironically I just got off the phone with a friend who has a Ferrari. He says it's almost TOO expensive to drive.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:08 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its like the new shoe syndrom for some. You get some new white sneakers and do everything possible to make sure they stay brand new. You step over puddles and clean them off at the hint of dirt. After a while, the novelty wears off and then the next thing you know it, your mowing the lawn with them and stepping in dog ****. Ok, not that extreme with a nice car but the same point. After a while, you get over being over **** about things.

He who dies with the lowest miles on a garage queen Porsche, still dies.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:09 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 937 Likes on 566 Posts

Every time I spend $$$ on it, I divide by the number of miles. Then I go drive it another bunch of miles. My wife already knows it is useless to argue with my math, as I have been in denial for 18 years and 2 Porsches. My life is worth more to me per mile than what this costs. Some day I may be only capable of driving an armchair. I will have no regrets that I did it when I could. I took care of my family first, and got 3 children a good start in life. No guilt.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993

YES!!! Well said!!
Old 11-09-2006, 03:44 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Originally Posted by 993RS
Life is too short not to drive one's 993 as much as possible..

... damn straight

i look for excuses to take mine out... bought it w/ 13k on the clock (w/ serious cobwebs under the fenders, etc.) i serviced it & then drove it across country to home in a day & a half. been puttin' miles on ever since just turned 45k & it runs better than it ever has. our 993's love to be driven hard... my car actually runs soooo smooth after a nice italian tune-up.

fwiw: i wanna enoy my toys & friends & then die ! ... oh & then go to heaven & drive some more... hehe hah! ray is there (esp. for all the good- 'diy' works he did here on earth) .
Old 11-09-2006, 03:51 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

That's a funny line.

However being the owner of a Garage Queen myself, I like to think I have one for now, and one for later.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:01 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
That's a funny line.

However being the owner of a Garage Queen myself, I like to think I have one for now, and one for later.

I have only put 3,000 miles on my 77 Bronco since August 2004. Averaging 1500 a year!!! Having 3 vehicles and working out of the house has me rotating vehicles and not driving as much as I used to. Plus, Im a video conferencing person (not a web camera and AOL or MSN, but Tandberg and Polycom hardware) and can get from here to there in about 2 seconds over IP. Yea, "Beam me in Scotty" isnt as far fetched as it used to be.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

I have only put 3,000 miles on my 77 Bronco since August 2004. Averaging 1500 a year!!! Having 3 vehicles and working out of the house has me rotating vehicles and not driving as much as I used to. Plus, Im a video conferencing person (not a web camera and AOL or MSN, but Tandberg and Polycom hardware) and can get from here to there in about 2 seconds over IP. Yea, "Beam me in Scotty" isnt as far fetched as it used to be.
Do you put more miles on in ski season than the rest of the year?

(Both JHMR and Snow King were making snow last week, but it's been in the 50s this week.)
Old 11-09-2006, 06:22 PM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel guilty the same way. I purchased my 993 in Dec 2004 with only 26,000 miles and in less than 2 years with only weekend fair weather driving I put on 16,000 miles and am now at 42,000 miles;

It is now in Storage for the Winter for a well deserved rest.

I went into the garage last night and sat in the 993 and I really miss driving it. On nice weekends I am driving only my Hot rodded Mustang or my Bike but it is definitely not the same even though they are so much faster on a straightline.

Anyways I know how you feel and sometimes it really doesn't make sense - Yeah I think I need to see a shrink!!
Old 11-09-2006, 06:50 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Do you put more miles on in ski season than the rest of the year?

(Both JHMR and Snow King were making snow last week, but it's been in the 50s this week.)
I drive the Bronco mostly in the spring, summer, and fall. Winter it says out of the Canyons. I cant even count the dozens of trips up to Tahoe from the Bay area in the Explorer. Snowbird and Alta from my house is 8 miles. Its a great 15 minute commutte up Little Cottonwood Canyon Yes, Im a powder snob considering the best snow on earth is in my back yard.

It was 70 here yesterday, watching it snow right now but its not sticking. Thats the high desert for ya! I love winter, bring it on!!
Old 11-09-2006, 07:21 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If only the patina of age worked on cars as it does for vintage electric guitars...regardless, to not drive these cars is to put the condition of a machine above the condition of one's soul, unless of course collecting is one's raison d'etre. In that case, buy two - one to keep pristine, the other to consume.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:22 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Arena993
Guilt to me is not driving my car enough
Amen brother ......ZP44

Quick Reply: Why does putting miles on my 993 make me feel guilty?