I've been bitten by the 993 bug

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 08:21 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
Default I've been bitten by the 993 bug

Since its introduction in 1989 I have been enamored with the 944 S2 Cabrio. Five years ago I finally purchased one and have been very content with the vehicle as it has been everything I expected it to be. It has even been my daily driver for the past two years and has performed quite flawlessly.

But it has been difficult to ignore just how attractive the 911 models are and what raving reviews they have always received. So I decided I would begin looking for an upgrade. Initially I chose the 996 series as I figured it would be the most logical step for me. It offered all of the modern conveniences that are not part of my 944 and was the newest model I can afford. I drove a few of them and liked how they felt and had my heart set on purchasing one. But after showing pictures of the vehicle to my finacee she was not enthused about the look of the car and pointed to the 964 or 993 as the cars I should look at.

So although I've been a passenger in an air-cooled 911 before (my old mechanic in New Jersey used to pick me up from the train station in one when I was having my car repaired) I've never been able to be a driver in one - until yesterday.

So I found a 95 coupe and took it for a test drive yesterday. First I felt like such an idiot due to the fact that I couldn't figure out how to operate the ignition. Having it on the "wrong" side kind of throws you off! Then of course there are those pedals. I had a VW Bug as my first car but how soon we forget how it feels to press the pedals that are hinged from the bottom. After a few minutes of babying the car however I got quite used to it.

Then I decided to hit the hammer and see what she can do...OMIGOSH I was in shock. First I'm preaching to the chior here but the sound that engine made was the most amazing howl I've ever heard. I couldn't help but keep it over 4000 RPM just to hear what was going on back there. Then the way the car just continues to accelerate from 3000 - 7000 RPM was amazing. I mean the car does have 60 horsepower more than mine but I just didn't expect that sort of difference in the delivery of power. I found myself laughing with delight and wanting to fall behind traffic just so I can feel the acceleration over and over again.

Now the handling was the next thing that amazed me. I simply pointed the wheels where I wanted them to go and it went without any hint of roll or hesitation. The car felt so rock solid and planted itself on the ground around the corners - it was absolutely awesome.

I would have made a purchase right then and there but I have my heart set on a convertible. I just wanted to see if I really wanted an air cooled before I began my proper search.

So needless to say, I'm looking for an interested party to find a loving home for a nice example of a 944 S2 Cabrio so I can move on to this beast known as 993. I'll probably wait until after the holidays so I can concentrate more at that time on my search.

Now my question to you cab owners out there, are the drop-tops as solid as the coupes?

Anyway, looking forward to joining you guys in the near future!
Old 11-05-2006, 08:28 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeeeey come on in brother! We'll have to get togther more often if you get one You'll never go back once you have a 993. What's the ticket price on the S2?
Old 11-05-2006, 08:29 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

I would say the hook has been set Great news

Now, do yourself a favor and get out and drive many many many of these 993's for sale and get a good feel for how they drive and you'll quickly find that they all differ just a little. You'll know a good one from a bad one right away.

Good luck getting some sleep
Old 11-05-2006, 08:34 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
I would say the hook has been set Great news

Now, do yourself a favor and get out and drive many many many of these 993's for sale and get a good feel for how they drive and you'll quickly find that they all differ just a little. You'll know a good one from a bad one right away.

Good luck getting some sleep
Hell yes. Drive as many as you can. Thankfuly I did because I was about to pull the trigger on a sweet black '97 when the cat test drove in a very weird fashion. A CarFax returned not one accident where it was totaled.. but TWO! The title was dismantled/junk. Er.. NO THANKS! Even for the smoking price of $30k. It was the test drive that tipped me off.

Drive a bunch, you'll find the one that reels you in... then of course.. you are done for...
Old 11-05-2006, 08:35 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
First I'm preaching to the chior here but the sound that engine made was the most amazing howl I've ever heard. I couldn't help but keep it over 4000 RPM just to hear what was going on back there.
Ahhh, the Stuttgart Symphony Orchestra gains another subscriber!
Old 11-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Once you get bitten, don't try to pull the sucker off or you'll be infected forever.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:55 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
don't try to pull the sucker off or you'll be infected forever.
Mark are you saying we are a bunch of scabs??
Old 11-05-2006, 09:01 PM
993inNC
Race Car

everytime I try to get away........they puuuull me back in
Old 11-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

LOL. No, nothing so gross, Chris. Let's just say that the bug burrowed so deeply into our bodies that, when we tried to pull it out, we made it worse.

Actually, I think I was bitten at around five years of age. I remember having a cheap 7", yellow, plastic Cadillac (yeah, I know) convertible that I went to bed with. My parents also bought me a Schuco Jag E-type coupe that I somehow lost. I collected, and still have, my old Hot Wheels, as well as Corgi cars such has James Bond's original Aston Martin and the original Batmobile, too trashed to be worth anything. I also collected Porsche brochures from the late '70's/early '80's and lusted after the SC's and Turbo Carreras. I read Road & Tracks and Car & Drivers from cover to cover, over and over again. I had a *** gas-powered Jeep when I was twelve or so and would daydream on car trips that I was piloting the thing along side our station wagon, the Jeep traversing gullies, shoulders, curbs like a frenetic, off-road warrior, making the time to wait to the next stop to the Stuckey's all the more bearable (snapping gum, anyone?) As a teenager, I dreamed of having a 934 or 935 race car that I could drive on the street.

We won't even talk about my obsession with racing...

Not even more cowbell could cure me.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 11-05-2006 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:50 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Yeeeey come on in brother! We'll have to get togther more often if you get one You'll never go back once you have a 993. What's the ticket price on the S2?
The S2 could go for about $10k-$12k as long as the high miles don't scare off a perspective buyer. But I guess it all depends, I see them going sometimes as low as $8000. I'll do what I can to make it attractive to a buyer however...

I've only autocrossed and I'd like to do the same with this car. But eventually I may want to try a DE and other events. Because of this I may also consider a coupe but I'm so used to dropping the top here when the weather is nice - so we'll see. I guess it all depends on what I find and what sets off the emotions the most.

On a funny note, you should have seen the look of disinterest on the misses' face as I rambled on about this car for 30 minutes. I had to call my dad (a muscle-car fan but still appreciative of European cars) to have someone to talk to!

I'll keep you guys posted on my search when it begins in early 2007!
Old 11-05-2006, 11:03 PM
993inNC
Race Car

S2 have rear seats or delete? Might consider it if it has rear seats.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:42 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993inNC
S2 have rear seats or delete? Might consider it if it has rear seats.
It has rear seats - it was the final year they included them as in the 968 they did away with them.

The seats however only have lap belts, no shoulder belts.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:58 AM
John95cab
Instructor

My cab stiffened up considerably with the addition of a front strut brace. Count on spending one to two thousand for a new top. Add RSR (gutted) mufflers and aftermarket HID lights. Next thing you know you will be adding 18" wheels and considering a suspension upgrade. An on it goes but its a labor of love.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:05 AM
IanUK
Advanced

Originally Posted by fpena944
... 996 ... But after showing pictures of the vehicle to my finacee she was not enthused about the look of the car and pointed to the 964 or 993 as the cars I should look at ...

... Now my question to you cab owners out there, are the drop-tops as solid as the coupes?
First, what a girl!

Second, no they are not as solid.

Ian.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:30 PM
waybrig
Instructor

If you're interested, I have a '96 cab you're welcome to kick the tires on to get a feel for what the cab's are like. I'm in the Raleigh area.

My car has around 50,000 miles so it's probably in the condition/age you would be looking at.

I'm not interested in selling at all, but always eager to spread the 993 infection.

I would also love to check out your S2.

Brad

Quick Reply: I've been bitten by the 993 bug