993 Forum 1995-1998

I've been bitten by the 993 bug

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 10:12 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944

On a funny note, you should have seen the look of disinterest on the misses' face as I rambled on about this car for 30 minutes. I had to call my dad (a muscle-car fan but still appreciative of European cars) to have someone to talk to!
Should'a called me Fernando, I would'a had you in that car in 30 minutes
Send me the details on the S2 and pics too itbracer45@netzero.com < email
Old 11-06-2006, 10:26 PM
ciarmas2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an 89 s2 for 5 years great car good like you decided to upgrade.Looked at and drove a 99 and a 2000 911 nice cars but something missing then went for a test drive in a 95 c4 cab and was sold on it right away i wasn't really a cab fan but getting used driving with top down.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,795 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Congrats and welcome. Cabs are not as solid as coupes...no convertible ever will. However, a 993 cab is as tight as you're going to get in the convertible world. I do AX and my car is tight as a drum with no squeaks.

Being that you live in NC, you may want to consider a C4 and you may also want to consider starting your search now. The market in your area will be soft between now and Feb and it will be the best time to find a good deal. Better selection comes around in the spring but then you'll be paying a premium. My 2c.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:25 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Waybrig - Thanks for the offer. I'm a little tied up for the next couple of weeks but I'll keep in touch and maybe we'll set something up in the near future.

Chris - I won't be able to send you any recent pics until probably Wednesday night as they are all on my home machine and I have work function to attend to tonight. But if you want to see pics that are now a couple of years old there is a link to them in my signature.

LJ in Van - I would actually consider either a C2 or C4. It just all depends on what is out there and how I feel about that particular vehicle. My car didn't perform very well here in slippery conditions until I bought all-season tires for it. It doesn't snow often here but it does rain so I think as long as I have the right tires either one should theoretically work for me.

As a convertible I always thought my car was quite solid too but I wasn't sure if the 993s were built the same way - that's definately good to hear.

Shopping in the winter is a dual-edged sword for me because I'll be trying to get rid of another convertible at the same time. So I guess it all evens out - but after the holidays I will definately start looking more intensely and start my search!

Thank you to all!
Old 11-07-2006, 02:40 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No cab will ever be as strong as a coupe, but the 993 cab's are around 70% stiffer than the 964 series cabs and about as strong as 964 coupes.

If you like the wind in your hair, go for the cab, if you intend to track the car a lot, get a coupe.

No matter what, it's too late for you!, the 993 bug has bitten and there is no cure short of ownership!

Good Luck!.........................................ZP44
Old 11-07-2006, 03:02 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

yes indeed.. I've been fortunate to enjoy my 993 since new so I know what it is like... and will indeed miss my car when it sells..

It is nice to see so many new faces even now... welcome and g-luck on your search...
Old 11-10-2006, 11:41 PM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Interesting story: I just sold my 1989 S2 coupe (118k miles) for 11,000 here in Socal. It was probably a 8.7 out of 10 (which won't win you any Olympics) but was clean and thoroughly maintained with records from the original owner (Newport Beach Porsche) to me. Plus I probably have dropped over 4K into the car for service since i owned it. Cab's out here usually have a higher value but I don't know your car.

Interesting enough, I pick up my 1995 993 C2 tomorrow morning!!!! It is an incredible car and I can't wait to HAVE it (if you know what I mean) (it's like the frik- geisha girl movie).

And before I get "all" the "why aren't you a member" replies - I have tried (several times) to register on site and never get the confirming email. (John has been advised of my problem).

Pic's will come shortly and i will be at the 12/10 993 conference in Torrence.

fpena944; good luck in your quest and may you too come the the air cooled side.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:54 AM
umfan866
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi... good luck in your search. I am tempted by 993s and may be able to squeak
into a '95 coupe somehow but I am mostly looking at 87-89 3.2s. I have not yet driven
a 993 yet but I am told they are much more powerful, handle more politely, and negatives
are more expensive to work on and less "raw" ie driver involvement than the 3.2s and
964 that came before it. I do hope to drive one soon to figure it out for myself --lately
I've gotten so good at test driving Porsche's I can now easily tell the difference in sound
and feel between an SC, a Carrera, and modded Carrera's that had headers, chips,
and/or custom exhausts, and of course overall CONDITION varies so much--bottom line
is that you really should drive as many examples as you can...

For 99 buyer guiedes-- on the newstands now in Excellence Magazine there
is an article on how to buy a 993, and on newstands now there is also a buyers
guide in 911 & Porsche World.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:53 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

"For 99 buyer guides...."

Huh?

tino
Old 11-12-2006, 03:57 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by soltino
"For 99 buyer guides...."

Huh?

tino
Man.. if I only I'd known they made a'99 993.. I'd have gotten one of those!

Quick Reply: I've been bitten by the 993 bug