Who wants 317bhp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 01:43 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by nbooth660
It appears no one on this forum has had experience of live remapping other than in the UK. If these tuners offer 993 tuning how come no one has done it?
The Rennlist & Pelican forum audience is tiny compared to the number of Porsches out there. People have also bought into the marketing that says a generic aftermarket chip upgrade is just as good as individually dyno-tuning a car? For the work involved there is easier/more money to be made by the tuners doing it that way. I'm sure the added cost of dyno time also factors into it?

Originally Posted by nbooth660
Maybe you guys are a victim of your country's size and diversity preventing this capability from being exploited???
There are probably more Porsches in California than all the the rest of the USA combined (or pretty close) and there are/were tuners located there that will dyno-tune the 993.

Originally Posted by Cavemen
What about the ricer community? Surely they do this?
So far the Porsche community has been pretty lucky not having to deal with the release of commercial (or fully functional) motronic tuning software (similar to Hondata). When that happens everyone and their brother starts calling themselves a tuner and you end up with a situation where people are modifying chips not having any clue what they are really doing and completely unaware of the consequences; "i'll just smooth the map so it looks better" or "i'll just bump the timing 12 degrees" or "this book I read says you can generate more power in a NA engine at 12.5:1 AFR so send me the wide-band O2 output plot from your unloaded dyno run and I will modify the fuel trim". Chips sold on eBay (and I think from some "tuners") are just as much of a crapshoot. I've had several people send me their aftermarket chips and when I've looked at them they are almost never what the seller claims but usually a knock-off of some other companies chip or literally a straight bump across a timing map.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason,
Well said.
The small size of the UK means that a small number of tuning locations can easily attract a relatively large number of potential customers.

In the USA travel distances can be enormous so reducing the customer base.

California has a very large Porsche population but also has some of the poorest fuel available. That factor will limit gains made by remapping .

I live mapped a very large number of cars in the UK during 20 years but would not begin to consider such a business in the USA .
There are certainly tuners in the USA who really understand Motronic but they tend to be operating in the areas that attract maximum profit and who can blame them.

All the best

Geoff
Old 11-10-2006, 12:01 PM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I feel bad for you chaps with your fuel,, 99 ron is available everywhere in the UK and BP (British Petroleum) now have 102 at several of their outlets, that would make an interesting basis for mapping!
Old 11-10-2006, 12:05 PM
SJB993
Pro

I was recently working in the U.S. (North Carolina) and saw loads of BP petrol stations. Maybe you guys over there should lobby BP to get some decent petrol shipped over there? But I guess you wouldn't want the UK prices shipped as well.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Steve,
Or the Reading traffic !!

Geoff
Old 11-11-2006, 08:21 PM
loonies
1st Gear

Wink

I live mapped a very large number of cars in the UK during 20 years but would not begin to consider such a business in the USA.

Geoff why not do a quick tour? you have done 100's of these so should be a breeze
Old 11-11-2006, 11:58 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Loonies,
If I was a thrusting young guy like you I might be nuts enough to actually give it a go !
Sounds like Wayne may be taking up the challenge. Bloody good luck !

All my best to yourself and the family,

Geoff
Old 11-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 578 Likes on 397 Posts

I had a chip burned for my 3.8RS at Cyntex on their dyno, runs like a bat out of He**, There are some cold start idle issues which may or may not be related to the chip(I'm working on it)
Old 11-12-2006, 01:29 PM
kb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those wondering ...... I have not been able to reach Wayne in UK yet to talk about what he would require for the "live remap" here. I bought my vehicle with a Cyntex chip already installed, and have been very happy with HP and TQ numbers on 93 premium. Had car dynoed by Curry's in VA 3 years ago. Looks like we need to be talking to Curry's and /or Paul at Cyntex (PA) if we are going to pull this east coast deal through.

Quick Reply: Who wants 317bhp?