993 Forum 1995-1998

Ticking noise...help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 02:10 AM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise...help!

As a 993 newbie, I'm trying to figure what I should do next with this noise. The engine has a ticking noise which is most pronouced from 2000 to 3000 rpm, although it's not there all the time. I would say that the noise is there half the time when I take the car out. I couldn't associate it with cold or warm weather. It could also be there regardless of whether the engine is warm or cold. I haven't noticed much difference in power either.

The car is currently running on 0W-40 Mobil one, last changed about 2000 miles ago by the previous owner. The car has close to 76k on it.

I've done a search on this forum regarding ticking noise/hydraulic lifters, but I still can't decide if I should try a switch to 15W-50 first (some people seem to have success with this), or if I should just replace the lifters (if so, I'm probably gonna do the exhaust side myself). Any thoughts from the lifter gurus?
Old 11-02-2006, 02:23 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Typically lifter noise is most pronounced at idle. Is this something that just started making noise? Does it sound like one single lifter making noise? In other words, is this one ticking sound louder than the rest?
Old 11-02-2006, 02:26 AM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

I do slight ticking at idle, but this gets louder above 2000 rpm..... I may not hear it as much after 3000 rpm since there is a lot more engine noise, but the funny thing is that it's not always there. I am wondering if one lifter is collapsed intermittently.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:16 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am experiencing a very similar noise, it is very annoying. And I do feel a slight corresponding "softness" in the power when the ticking noise is there. I'm replacing the exhaust side lfters myself as soon as possible. Hopefully this cures it!
Old 11-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds very much like a lifter. When engine idling, get a bigass screw driver, tip end to the engine and handle on your ear you're able to locate where the noise is coming from. This way you know what lifters to look.

Greg,
Have you checked your dual ditributor belt?
Old 11-02-2006, 10:09 AM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

When I had my motor rebuilt (other problems led to it - not lifter noise) at about 70k miles on my '97 every single lifter was collapsed. Most of them simple fell out during removal because the o-rings were GONE.

I think the lifters should probably all be replaced on a 75k motor. I have heard others report that the newer o-ring material has a much longer life than the original material - but based on what I saw in my motor when it came apart I would bet that 50% of the original 993 lifters out there are collapsed.

Nothing to freak out about but I think lifter replacement is just a normal part of 'long-term' maintenance of these motors.

Warning - I'm a bit AR about such things and tend to err on the side of making sure everything is perfect.

Ben
Old 11-02-2006, 11:09 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Ben-
Interesting info. I don't think you're AR about it. My former 993 was really low on power (215 rwhp), and lifters are my leading theory as to why. It did tick (at just 40k miles), though I never inspected the lifters.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:18 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

I think it is lifter noise as well... Mine did the same - but it wasn't as noticible while the engine was cold. Once it was warm - the ticking became more pronounced throughout the RPM range..

Also - I agree with Ben.. the lifters should be replaced as part of a long term maintenance schedule.. When you pull a collapsed lifter and look at it - you'll suffer a mild corony arrest (I can say that - as I did.. ) ..

John D.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:27 AM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the input so far. I'll try the screwdriver method today to see if I can localize the source...... if it's on the exhaust side, I can replace them myself (probably all 6). But if it's on the intake side, I may have to find a shop to do it (doesn't the intake side require an engine drop?)
Old 11-02-2006, 11:38 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Are the intake-side lifters as prone to failure as the exhaust-side lifters? Should they last longer than the exhaust lifters? Would the noise be louder/different with collapsed exhaust-side lifters as opposed to intake-side?

Finn - I haven't looked at the belt in about 6 months, but I think it's fine. I'm not down on power very much, I just notice a small difference when the car is ticking compared to when it's not ticking. It might be all in my mind though. As I understand it, the distributor belt failing would result in a dramatic decrease in power.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:46 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mike993c2s
....But if it's on the intake side, I may have to find a shop to do it (doesn't the intake side require an engine drop?)
Hey Mike...

While it doesn't "require" a full engine drop - it would be a whole lot easier, and probably actually be quicker then trying to do a partial drop and the time spent removing all the engine tin/parts to gain access to the intake lifters...

I did a DIY a while ago - Posted here.... , if that helps??

John
Old 11-02-2006, 12:23 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Hopefully, it's your lifters. As many of you know, I experienced a "ticking" sound on mine at 48k miles. I ended up replacing all lifters (o-rings shot on most of them) and still ticking. Solution was a top-end rebuild caused by whasted exhaust valve guides on the farthest forward two cylinders. The root of the problem was a mouse's nest built ontop of the cooling fins (prior to my ownership), restricting airflow, overheating said cylinders.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:48 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

John,

I've seen your other post. It's very helpful. I don't have the equipment to do an engine drop, and even if I do, I'm a little hesitant to do it by myself. I'm about to go back to the garage to check the noise.....
Old 11-02-2006, 01:51 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Dam mice!!!
Old 11-02-2006, 05:42 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Question: Are the intake-side lifters as prone to failure as the exhaust-side lifters? Should they last longer than the exhaust lifters? Would the noise be louder/different with collapsed exhaust-side lifters as opposed to intake-side?

Quick Reply: Ticking noise...help!