Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Went back to stock airbox cover, lost HP.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 01:10 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by ignomini
I agree with you there. Better flowing cylinder heads, more aggressive cams, and higher rpm equals higher air volume needs. Changing the intake and exhaust makes sense in that scenario.

What we've often seen in the supercharger business is stock intake and exhaust systems flow well enough that changing them has no real effect. However, supply pressurized air, or make other changes to increase air flow capacity of the engine, and then there are additional increases to be had by changing intake/exhaust pieces.

There are exceptions. For whatever reason, Honda (Acura) strangled the RSX Type S. We saw 15-18 more front wheel horsepower simply by changing the intake and adding a header. That was an eye opener.
But, the 1987 Acura Legen would realize a 25HP increase simply by installing headers. The NSX could get an additional 45HP with a whole new exhaust system...
Old 10-27-2006, 01:24 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, can Airboxes be controversial.

In reality, there isn't an airbox mod that you can do that you would ever feel in you ***-O-meter or see on a GPS data logger.

I say...."if you really want to go faster, lighten the car, install a better suspension and add big red brakes".

"All that stuff and a lot of track time will get you much faster than an airbox & muffler upgrade"

ZP44
Old 10-27-2006, 03:19 PM
ignomini
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red rooster
ignomini ,
Cute little A series with a Shorocks blower . Now theres a motor .120bhp ?

Geoff
Thanks. Actually its an Eaton M45 blower. Wouldn't mind an original Shorrock setup though. First dyno session produced 95 rear wheel. Since then ported head, new header, another pound of boost and custom carb needle tuning (aka took a file to the needle). It should be making the "ton" to the rears now. Fun in traffic and it'll surprise the hell out of Mazdaspeed Miatas.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:47 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Also, for those considering drilling or modifying their airbox, please be advised that for any changes done to the airbox, there must also be a change on the engine tray as to not compromise high speed stability and all around high speed balance.

Engine tray mods and airbox mods must be done in tandem to keep the balance of the car correctly.
Attached Images  
Old 10-27-2006, 04:01 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
...In reality, there isn't an airbox mod that you can do that you would ever... see on a GPS data logger...
This appears aimed at me. With all due respect, if you haven't done such a test, isn't this blanket statement a bit premature? Until I hear of somebody else's test data, I'll stick with my own data that said you get a few hp at the upper RPM range. It's one of those "do-it-for-club-racing" type mods IMHO. But yeah, it's mostly worthless.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:42 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It may be worthless, but apparently there's plenty of folks out there who are willing to spend 175 bucks to Fabspeed for some carbon fiber-ey goodness.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:25 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Thaddeus
It may be worthless, but apparently there's plenty of folks out there who are willing to spend 175 bucks to Fabspeed for some carbon fiber-ey goodness.
"Carbon fiber-ey" is about right, LoL. It's actually plastic carbon-look! The PO of my car gave me mine, and that's the only reason I'd know.

Quick Reply: Went back to stock airbox cover, lost HP.