Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Well, I did it. Ordered a Bend-Pak lift today....

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 08:34 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cowtown
I'm getting a UHaul truck to pick it up at the Yellow freight dock - liftgate residential delivery would have been $150 more. I've got access to an engine hoist and a 2000lb lifting table at home. Hopefully it will be doable.

I'll get a pizza, have some people over to eat, then say, "by the way guys, can you help me with something in the garage?"

EDIT - for those wondering, asedeals' "sale" price when you call on the scissor lift is $1410. Low-rise is $1717.
Just rent a trailer if you have a truck. Easy to drag off if you get this type. It comes mounted on a wood pallet that slides real easy surprisingly.
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2006, 08:56 PM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just came up with a different approach to selling this purchase to ones spouse. See "auto theft thread" I kill me!
Old 10-18-2006, 11:55 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ceboyd
nice! Can I see an UNDERSIDE photo from when it's on the lift (bottom up)

I'm curious to see how much it covers up under the car (IE is the trans area covered or is it accessable?)
The arms on the Bend-Pak are adjustable, you can move them so the car sits further forward or back on the lift. As for how far forward/back you can go safely I don't know. But there's 18" of adjustment fore/aft in the arms.

As for how high a garage ceiling you need, at this house my garage height is only 9', I can't raise my car all the way on the lift or it would hit the garage door opener, but it high enough to make working on the car much easier.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 10-19-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:52 PM
cowtown
Racer

Bill V or others, could you estimate how long and wide the protective plates that you put under the rollers need to be? I'm shopping for some metal stock.
Thanks!
Colin
Old 10-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

I got 12" x 84" x 1/4" AL (x2) to go under the rollers all the way up to the non-roller end of the lift. It would not be necessary to go all the way though as the rollers only move about 18 - 24". I think "pstraub" has another recent thread w/ photos of his setup (may even be in this thread too). Do a search, there are a couple of threads w/ tips and pics.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:16 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same lift or different:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...55&postcount=1
Old 10-31-2006, 02:19 PM
cowtown
Racer

I've got it all set up now, and it's GREAT! It changes the way I think about working on the car. I wish I'd bought this thing five years ago when I was doing an engine swap project.

Shipping and setup were uneventful. I got a friend to go with me to the Yellow freight dock with his Honda pickup truck (which is pretty small for a pickup - one of those half-bed things). We got the forklift operator to take the lift off the pallette and slide it into the pickup bed, then drove home. At my house, we just slid the lift onto my lifting table, wheeled it to the place I wanted to install it, and lowered it to about 8 inches off the ground. Then we stuck a car jack under each end and lowered it to the floor.

Amazingly, the whole process from pickup to plopping it in my garage was done in 1.5 hours. And no one lost a finger!

Per Bill Verburg and others, I put some 1/2"x24"x4" aluminum stock under the rollers. For the ramps, I only needed one layer of boards to get my Euro M030-height car up there. The Racedeck tiles do give me another 3/8" or so of height in addition to the boards.

The only other thing I did was swapped the hydraulic feed line over to the other cylinder so I could store the pump unit against the wall. Also put a couple grommets in the through-holes where the line goes through the lift's beams to minimize abrasion.

After several rides up and down sitting on the lift with my three year old on my lap, it was time to put the 993 up. No problems at all, and it's so nice to have the engine bay at waist level even for top-side work. I can raise the 993 to maximum lift height in my 9-foot ceiling garage.

One question: I get the advertised 48" or 50" maximum height, but the max. height at a mechanical safety locked position is about 8" inches below max. Does this match other Bend Paks out there?

Colin
Attached Images    

Last edited by cowtown; 10-31-2006 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:36 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 371 Posts

Bill V or others, could you estimate how long and wide the protective plates that you put under the rollers need to be? I'm shopping for some metal stock.
Thanks!
Colin
Mine are overkill, we had some 3/8"x27"x8" sections of aluminum hull plate cut for hawse holes on a boat we built. The pivot is 3/8"x35"x4" same material.

It's hard to see here but plastic sheet under the wood will help keep it from warping as will using p/t wood, I use replaceble plastic sheets and a nice big ss tray under the potentially drippy parts, the wheel stops at the end position a 911 perfectly for lifting, the white ply is needed only on my extremely low blue car. I don't know about you but I have trouble centering the car, the string helps as do the long wood pieces on top of the carpet which also are to prevent the wheels from meeting steel
Old 10-31-2006, 05:58 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 63 Posts

I am installing my Bend Pak lift next week. However I am doing a Parking lift so increase my storage space in the garage (too many cars, lol..)

I will post pics when the job is done. I think it's model 6sp or something like that.. It's the one post lift.

B
Old 10-31-2006, 06:03 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice lift guys.

please do seth... look forward to seeing. i think that's the way to go. very functional. btw: is there a height 'stop' adjustment on these lifts? curious b/c of the mishap that was mentioned here a month or two ago..
Old 11-01-2006, 02:39 PM
cowtown
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Mine are overkill, we had some 3/8"x27"x8" sections of aluminum hull plate cut for hawse holes on a boat we built. The pivot is 3/8"x35"x4" same material.
Wow, that's a lot of metal.

I'm using 1/2"x24"x4" aluminum stock and it seems to work OK. 24" is the bare minimum - the rollers on my lift travel about 23".

Can anyone give me some feedback on this question:

One question: I get the advertised 48" or 50" maximum height, but the max. height at a mechanical safety locked position is about 8" inches below max. Does this match other Bend Paks out there?
Thanks!
Colin
Old 11-01-2006, 02:52 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

The only other thing I did was swapped the hydraulic feed line over to the other cylinder so I could store the pump unit against the wall. Also put a couple grommets in the through-holes where the line goes through the lift's beams to minimize abrasion.
They're set up so you can have the hose running to either side. Mine's on the other side too.

Colin
I can't raise mine up all the way w/ a car on it due to the overhead garage door opener but I think that's the way they all are. FWIW, I've left my lift up, w/ the car on it, for over 72 hrs. and in didn't lower an inch. After using mine for over 6 mos. I'm not the least concerned about it dropping (to the safty catches).
Old 11-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Just an additional note on this lift, I added an additional very thick washer under the large Nylock nuts of the arms. I'm using both the one supplied by Bend-Pac and a second larger washer for each arm. That one washer just didn't seem enough for me.

Quick Reply: Well, I did it. Ordered a Bend-Pak lift today....