Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Recaro A8 help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 03:01 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

There exists a side plate that is specific for "**** delete" (did i just write that?). Don't know if Recaro still has it. I have one in my car, solves everything.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:48 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Morton
Mike:

1.) The bar is welded to other pieces in the mechanism. it will not move laterally if the **** is removed.
That's weird. Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, here is the bar I am talking about (excuse the bad pictures):

And here is where the bar fits in on the seatback recline mechanism (this is the inside that faces the seats, not the outside):

As you can see, mine weren't welded to the mechanism. Maybe it's because mine are series 2 seats???

As I remember now, the bar itself was round (cylindrical) for the most part and turned square on the ends. The square ends went through the square holes on the recline mechanism and operated those. There was a little bit left that shot to the outside of the seat. The recline ***** were then attached to those little bits of bar. Because the bar only turned square on the ends, I guess this would prevent the lateral movement of the bar, cause you can't push a round bar through a square hole. Unfortuantely I couldn't find any pics of the bar to confirm that it is definitely only square on the ends. I did however just take off the recline ***** and the bar seemed pretty sturdy.

I would imagine it wouldn't be a huge deal to lop off the end of the bar. As long as the bar will still turn the mechanism I would think it should work fine.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:49 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GeorgeK
There exists a side plate that is specific for "**** delete" (did i just write that?). Don't know if Recaro still has it. I have one in my car, solves everything.
I tried to order parts for these seats recently and I turned up nothing. Went through a Rennlist sponsor and also tried to go through Recaro and neither were helpful. Maybe someone else will have some luck.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:53 PM
titleist1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you tell series 1 from series 2 seats?
Old 10-18-2006, 05:06 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

What about machining a billet Aluminum **** -- low profile. This would be quite easy to have a few dozen spun-off..
Old 10-18-2006, 05:08 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by titleist1
How do you tell series 1 from series 2 seats?
The series one have a plastic "tub" around the outside of the seat bottom, while the series 2 use the same seat bottom as the SRD (at least that's what I've been told), and don't have any plastic on the bottom. I guess they made the change because plastic tubs on the seat bottoms on the series 1 were prone to breaking from getting in and out of the car. So I guess to fix the problem, they just frankensteined the seatback from the A8 and the seat bottom from the SRD and "voila", A8 series 2!
Old 10-18-2006, 05:10 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris walrod
What about machining a billet Aluminum **** -- low profile. This would be quite easy to have a few dozen spun-off..
Now you're talking!
Old 10-18-2006, 05:14 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by gonzilla
Now you're talking!
Send me a **** (doesnt seem kinda weird that a bunch of men talking about the size of their *****, placement of their *****, posting pictures of their *****, even what their ***** are rubbing), and I will have a go at it.

As long as there isnt any splining involved, I can make it.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:27 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Send me a **** (doesnt seem kinda weird that a bunch of men talking about the size of their *****, placement of their *****, posting pictures of their *****, even what their ***** are rubbing), and I will have a go at it.

As long as there isnt any splining involved, I can make it.
Chris - sent you a PM
Old 10-18-2006, 05:29 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by titleist1
This is not my car but good pic of ****, not sure how to get it off.
Hi Jim,

This is my RUF. My inside ***** do press on the center counsel, but not rubbing big time. If I opened the car doors, I could easily turn the *****, and adjust the seat back tilt.

The car came this way, so I could not claim credit for it. It is also true that after Jim raised my seats 1" with spacers, I have more room to put my hands on those *****.

Good luck with your installations. Just love the A-8s.

CP
Old 10-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scott
Old 10-18-2006, 09:24 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Mike:

Its been several months since I had the seats apart, but I am sure the rod (yes, that one) has some method of holding it between the two recline mechanisms, maybe a welded washer as shoulder, or circlip. I recall this as I know how I needed to installed the properly clocked recline mechanisms on the rod.

As far as a "billet" ****, nice idea. Only problem is why is an inner **** needed on the 911, once the l vs. r seat is installed. The Recaro **** is more than adequate on the outside.

Now, if someone wants to make an improved recline or way to lock the recline (pin in the wheel type thing), that would be cool !!!! I looked at the Recaro friction style recline mechanism for some time, trying to fab an easy position lock. Nothing was obvious to me....

I will see if I can find the pics of my A8 restore.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Originally Posted by gonzilla
Chris - sent you a PM
Chris,

I need them too... like 4. I don't have my seats with me otherwise I can go and look at them.

Mike,

Are you sending Chris a **** glad its your **** and not mine
Old 10-19-2006, 12:16 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Air Kuul TT
Chris,

I need them too... like 4. I don't have my seats with me otherwise I can go and look at them.

Mike,

Are you sending Chris a **** glad its your **** and not mine
Maybe someone should write a song about "deatchable *****"?

Scott
Old 10-19-2006, 01:25 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Lyrics to a funny song.....

Last edited by chris walrod; 10-19-2006 at 03:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Recaro A8 help?