Sponsored by:

Recaro A8 help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 05:24 PM
titleist1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recaro A8 help?

Just installed Recaro A8 and love the seat, however the inside turn **** does rub heavily against the center console, has anyone removed this **** to solve the problem and what is involved in removing it. Thanks for any help
Attached Images  
Old 10-17-2006, 05:34 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Jim,

Which seat brackets are you using? Do you have pics?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:32 AM
titleist1
Racer

I will post some pics after wknd, the slider has the straight bar that connects between the 2 rails.It came with seat, have noticed that some have a single pull instead, i may have been sent wrong brackets.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:51 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Do you have any pictures of the ****? How does it attach to the shaft, splined, or squared? Set screw perhaps?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:59 AM
titleist1
Racer

This is not my car but good pic of ****, not sure how to get it off.
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2006, 11:07 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Jim,

Is you **** sitting at the same level as in the pic? I'm thinking you don't have the right slider/bracket therefor the seat is sitting too low.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:16 AM
titleist1
Racer

I will check, it might be too low, thanks
Old 10-18-2006, 12:23 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Jim,

I recently installed a set of A8s in my car. Yes, the **** does rub the center console. I doubt that your seats are too low. I have the Recaro height adjustable sliders and Wedge Engineering brackets. Right now my seats are as high as they can get without touching the roofliner and the **** is rubbing against the center console bigtime. I have heard of people removing the inner recline ****, but can't figure out how to do that. Well, I can figure out how to do it (I stripped my seats down to the nuts and bolts before I redid them), but I can't figure out how to do it and keep the seats working correctly. The ***** are the only thing that holds the bar connecting them in place. If you DID in fact remove the ****, I think the connecting bar would be free to flop around. The bar is there to allow the even recline of both sides of the seat. If it gets off in any way the result would be that the left side and the right side of the seat would be in different states of recline. That would in fact be "not good".

The best solution that I can think up is to get someone like wedge engineering to make an offset bracket for the seats. I think that if the seats were moved about 1/2" towards their respective doors, it would alleviate the rubbing problem against the center console and we would still not be hitting the doors with the outside of the seat. I haven't investigated this, but with the number of people that have been putting A8s into their 993s lately, maybe we can contact Wedge or someone like them and get them to produce some custom brackets for us.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

FWIW, I have installed many Recaro seats in 993's. The A8, SRD, Speed all use a similar recline mechanism. If you mount the seat low, or use it far back on the slides, the inner **** should be removed to not damage the carpet and the shaft the **** was on shortened. Doing this is not too bad of a job as long as the seat is out.

First, the recline **** simply pulls off. If you remove the center trim cover for the ****, it's easy to see how the **** is simply pressed on. With the **** off, I typically cover the seat with plastic and use an abrasive cut off wheel (even as small as a Dremel tool) to cut the shaft shorter. Shortening this shaft does not affect the recline mechanism.

The only time I did not remove the inner **** was for a person who had me mount the seats on 1 inch spacers. This raised the seat enough to have the distance to the console open up due to the console narrowing as it goes up from the floor.

Hope this helps out...
Old 10-18-2006, 12:46 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Thanks Jim... Where can I get the spacers?
Old 10-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim . . . your advice seems to always help someone. Good on ya brother!

Scott
Old 10-18-2006, 12:58 PM
titleist1
Racer

Thanks for all the imput, seems like the spacer idea should work best.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:02 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Morton
With the **** off, I typically cover the seat with plastic and use an abrasive cut off wheel (even as small as a Dremel tool) to cut the shaft shorter. Shortening this shaft does not affect the recline mechanism.
Hey Jim,

I feel like when I was taking apart the seats, once I removed the *****, the bar was free to move laterally. Is there any chance of the bar becoming "disengaged" from the outside recliner **** if the inside **** is removed???
Old 10-18-2006, 01:12 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Morton
The only time I did not remove the inner **** was for a person who had me mount the seats on 1 inch spacers. This raised the seat enough to have the distance to the console open up due to the console narrowing as it goes up from the floor.
Just curious... did you do this with an A8? Mine are super high because I haven't had a chance to cut down the sliders yet. As they are, the top of the headrest is about 2" from the roofliner and if I pull the seats forward to get into the back seat, the headrest of the seat rubs on the roofliner. They are HIGH! Anyway, my **** still rubs on the center console in a big way. I could try to raise the seat a little more, but then I would be sitting WAY high and I would also lose the accessability to the back seat cause I couldn't pull the seatback forward.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Mike:

1.) The bar is welded to other pieces in the mechanism. it will not move laterally if the **** is removed.

2.) Yes, I did the **** removal on the A8's I restored (with the one exception noted). btw, I know what you mean on the overall height. That set I did had the headreats quite high...

Quick Reply: Recaro A8 help?