Sponsored by:

Winter Driving - C2

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 06:10 PM
danmarch
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Driving - C2

Hello All...My old Saab is dying and I am considering using my C2 as a daily driver through the winter. My commute is 65 miles from New Hampshire to Boston (highway 99% of the way). I would love some input as to whether this is a good idea or not. I would definitely put some snows on to ensure best traction.

Thanks in advance...Dan
Old 10-15-2006, 06:27 PM
obchuck
Racer

I don't know about the snow part (although rear engine and "it's a Porsche" are the argument for it) but you'd make me feel better about using my C2 for my 100 mile round trip daily commute!
Old 10-15-2006, 06:47 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here: I am planning to drive my C2 this winter. Put some winter tires and watch out for the idiots on the road.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:54 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 258 Posts

There is no doubt the car could manage with the right tires. The question is do you want to subject the body to the salt and the risk from other drivers that decide to commute without snow tires? Sixty five miles is a fairly long commute so just getting a beater could leave you stranded a long way from home. Maybe drive the C2 for just this one winter season then buy a front wheel drive car in good condition before the next season sets in.

As to tires, I haven't had a chance to test them yet but I just bought Dunlop Winter Sport M3's for my car. Previously I've used Blizzak's. The Dunlops are considered Performance Winter tires as opposed to full snow tires. During the winter where I live, snow may be on the road less than 10% of the time. The remainder of the time there could be snow on the ground but no accumulation on the roads. The Performance Winters are supposed to provide less squirm during the winter when the roads are dry, but still provide the traction needed during those periods when snow is actually on the road. They are not as good as full snow tires during major accumulations but are they are still supposed to perform well in the snow; much better than the all seasons. I guess I'll find out this winter since I live at the bottom of some steep hills.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:12 PM
obchuck
Racer

Steep hills in Kansas?!?!?! Just kidding. I lived in Kansas for 12 years and went to KU; and let me tell you, at least in Lawrence, there are some hills that look a whole helluva lot like the hills in Frisco - so you could imagine the difficulty of trying to climb them covered in snow/ice!

Best of luck w/the Dunlops!
Old 10-15-2006, 08:32 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just do it.

I drive my C2 (on 17" Blizzaks) all winter long in Chicago. I've had it in over 12" of snow with no problems.

With 60% of the weight over the rears the car gets great traction. Plus, it's a lot of fun seeing the shocked look on SUV drivers faces when you pull away from them at stoplights.....
Old 10-16-2006, 12:36 AM
rkass
Racer

From my experience with my old C2 (funny now I have a c4 and don't drive it in winter) Ray is spot on. Nothing like seeing everyone look at you as you go by them in left lane in the porsche scooby doo mobile, really priceless and the car will love you for the driving. Snow really isn't the enemy its ice. But that is same for any car. I would rinse car off or figure where you will do so as you do not want all that crap sitting on car. I would get the best snow tire you can afford = IIRC I was using 18 blizzaks no problem although most here would counsel you on 17s. Point is that this car is great in snow and its a blast to drive it where you can safely slide it around. For most part, if this winter is same as others, rent a car for the really bad 10 days, and drive in the clear for the rest of the days. Good luck.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:31 PM
danmarch
3rd Gear

Cool

Thanks Gang...I appreciate the feedback. With 82k on the car and another 150k-200k in life, I think I will drive the pee pee out of it.

Gotta admit, I was impressed with some of the hard core 993 drivers tooling around in the harsh New Hampshire winters last year!

Old 10-16-2006, 09:31 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are interested in some Dunlop SP Sports (17" set from Tire Rack with rims) let me know. I don't think Brunhilde is going to play in the snow this year.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:28 PM
95cab
Instructor

I might be able to part with my bra - let me know if you're interested - the sand and salt from the cars ahead of you will be slightly less painful to bear with some protection up front. I've decided the 38K miles isn't enough to start subjecting it to that 12-month use.

Quick Reply: Winter Driving - C2