Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here is a 1997 carrera S for sale

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 12:27 AM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

I have been watching this thread. Love the color and the S factor. But, I am going to have to step in and be Mr. Unpopular. 140k???: No way. It looks like a good deal, but the reality of this story does not read like someone buying a car with high milage and cheap replacement parts. Sorry but who ever paid 28k is looking at another 8k for engine and 6k for the transmission, plus all the other little BS that wears like shocks. Anyone who thinks these car require the same attention as a American truck with high mileage is in for a big surprize. When all is said and done 42k for a 160k mile 993S? Big pimping, here's my S with 160k miles. Hilarious.!
Old 10-14-2006, 12:35 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jimwood
I have been watching this thread. Love the color and the S factor. But, I am going to have to step in and be Mr. Unpopular. 140k???: No way. Sorry but who ever paid 28k is looking at another 8k for engine and 6k for the transmission, plus all the other little BS that wears like shocks. So 42k for a 160k mile 993S? Miles on these cars count, its not a Ford 302. What a joke.

BTW who ever recommended Swiss Trax for garage flooring: Thanks!
The price was more like $27K. This car will make a great driver!!
Old 10-14-2006, 12:42 AM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

It will make a great driver, so long as the buyer understands that the 993 was designed first and foremost as a performance car. So shelling out 10k for a used engine should be expected. You burn the tranny, have 6k ready.

Bottomline, these cars carry a premium in upkeep; therefore, know what you are getting into.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:44 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
The price was more like $27K. This car will make a great driver!!
I'm with you, Chris. 140K? It's a baby.

BTW, Chris, check your PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:03 AM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gonzilla
I'm with you, Chris. 140K? It's a baby.

BTW, Chris, check your PM.
Interesting that you think a 140k mileage 993 is a baby. Certainly, this statement implies low upkeep and many trouble free miles ahead. My experience with my LOW mileage 993 is different, as are other experiences I have read. Ask around. Those who have a 993 with less than 50k have experienced costly upkeep costs, as I have. Some have it worse, SAI repairs at well less than 50k are priced for the well to do.

At "140k? It's a baby?" Is this a Honda? Give me a break. The only engine with 140k I would consider as a baby is an American turbo diesel. Calling a 993 engine with 140k a baby is ignorant bliss at its best, and it simply doesn't compart with logic or others experiences. Wishful thinking at best.

So I ask you, is there a reason this car is 27k? Yes. No such thing as a free ride; so, don't expect one here. Road rash? Sounda hot! If I can share experiences with someone with the ability to purchase a lower mileage S then good; that's the point. Spend more to get a lower mileage car. But the bottomline is that if you can't afford a low mileage 993 of any year or body style you better have a backup car because the dealer isn't going to cut you a deal because it's a rare color and rare S.

Last edited by jimwood; 10-14-2006 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:23 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimwood
Interesting that you think a 140k mileage 993 is a baby. Certainly, this statement implies low upkeep and many trouble free miles ahead. My experience with my LOW mileage 993 is different, as are other experiences I have read. Ask around. Those who have a 993 with less than 50k have experienced costly upkeep costs, as I have. Some have it worse, SAI repairs at well less than 50k are priced for the well to do.

At "140k? It's a baby?" Is this a Honda? Give me a break. The only engine with 140k I would consider as a baby is an American turbo diesel. Calling a 993 engine with 140k a baby is ignorant bliss at its best, and it simply doesn't compart with logic or others experiences. Wishful thinking at best.

So I ask you, is there a reason this car is 27k? Yes. No such thing as a free ride; so, don't expect one here. Road rash? Sounda hot! If I can educate with someone with the ability to purchase a lower mileage S then good; that's the point. Spend more to get a lower mileage car. But the bottomline is that if you can't afford a low mileage 993 of any year or body style you better have a backup car because the dealer isn't going to cut you a deal because it's a rare color and rare S.
Based on your last few posts I get the impression you are upset.... taking this whole thing a bit personally?
Old 10-14-2006, 01:25 AM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Nothing's free. That's my point. Still laughing after reading your post. Truth hurts; you know.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:35 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I hope I didn't come off as being rude... just trying to lighten things up a bit.
Understand your point too.
The great thing about these cars is after you dump a ton of money into them they are still Porsches!
Do that with a Honda... and, well, you got a Honda.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:43 AM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Definitely didn't come off rude. I'm just pissed I didn't buy it first.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:45 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I also saw that when it first popped up, but was in no position to take the time to go off to SJ on a wild chase. Looking for a cab, anyway. These are the cars I love to have fall into my lap. I think it was priced farily, and hopefully the new owner feels he paid a fair price for what it is (and what it isn't).

Having purchased two high milers pretty cheap in the past 3 years ('97 4S with every option imaginable @ 100K, '93 RSA @ 130K), you couldn't have interested me in the least with zero mileage garage queens. I don't want to obsess over a rock chip, or if there's a small oil leak. I've spent basically zero on both.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:04 AM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Well, Charlie wanted to buy it. I guess the new owner will have to explain why he can't have it.

Old 10-14-2006, 02:23 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 993 cab. for $25k with 106k miles only with carfax n some P O records plus visuals inspection n test drive No PPI and then with TLC n some $$ for suspension and oil change (tranny also ) and other stuff (cosmetic) to make her look like a garage queen .
End result she`s bitching , what a fantastic summer fun fun fun n joy . One 1600km Rally , one 700 km rally and even a show n shine fund raiser all with other great porsche owner . Bottom line is not about odometer it`s all about TRIPOMETER !!!! Just give me more porche miles and another 993 for a track project .
Got to go to bed now got to get up early going for a 6am run with the other porche junkies Saturday .
Old 10-14-2006, 04:00 AM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Anything that needs fixing or replacing is just an opportunity to upgrade. If it needs a new tranny, it's just an opportunity to re-gear etc. I replaced my suspension with only 15k miles on the car. These cars are money pits regardless of how many miles are on them. There is not much logical about buying these cars anyway. Half the fun is spending money on them like some mistress.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:15 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

If I was in the US, I would have bought it sight unseen.
At this price, IMHO there is zero risk.
Even if you dismantle it, you would get a lot more on ebay.

By the way, there is a german garage offering a total porsche 993 engine rebuilt on ebay, with
oils, filters, etc for 2900 euros Tax included. Thats $3625 , with 2 yrs or 25000 km guarranty. They seem pro.
Its tempting even if your engine is good.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple of things. First you guys should be checking mobile.de and other European car sales sites to find out about the high mileage 993s (or any other model/brand for that matter), Germans seem to have a much different approach to owning Porsches, we cherish and protect them like jewelry, they drive the heck out of them almost like any other car, end result is that these cars can go a long way before acting up. On the flip side, this 140K clearly has fewer miles of driving pleasure to offer than most others, a 40K mile car surely is worth more it's got 100K more miles to go before reaching this car's 'age', and that's a lot of laps!!

A good deal for some, bad for others, depends what you're looking for. For that money I would have rather bought a lower mileage non-S 993, but that's just me!

Regards,
Chris

Quick Reply: Here is a 1997 carrera S for sale