993 Forum 1995-1998

Here is a 1997 carrera S for sale

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 03:51 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jimwood
Interesting that you think a 140k mileage 993 is a baby. Certainly, this statement implies low upkeep and many trouble free miles ahead. My experience with my LOW mileage 993 is different, as are other experiences I have read. Ask around. Those who have a 993 with less than 50k have experienced costly upkeep costs, as I have. Some have it worse, SAI repairs at well less than 50k are priced for the well to do.

At "140k? It's a baby?" Is this a Honda? Give me a break. The only engine with 140k I would consider as a baby is an American turbo diesel. Calling a 993 engine with 140k a baby is ignorant bliss at its best, and it simply doesn't compart with logic or others experiences. Wishful thinking at best.

So I ask you, is there a reason this car is 27k? Yes. No such thing as a free ride; so, don't expect one here. Road rash? Sounda hot! If I can share experiences with someone with the ability to purchase a lower mileage S then good; that's the point. Spend more to get a lower mileage car. But the bottomline is that if you can't afford a low mileage 993 of any year or body style you better have a backup car because the dealer isn't going to cut you a deal because it's a rare color and rare S.
Wow! Nice reply! FWIW, I agree with you about spending a little more to get a lower-mileage car. However, I still think that car looked like a good deal from where I stood. From what I've been led to understand, these engines are pretty robust (apart from the valve guides), and when not driven into the ground, can be expected to last well beyond 140K miles (escpecially the bottom end). Sure, you may have to do some maintenance, maybe a top end at worst (which would kind of suck), but they're certainly not ready for the scrap heap at 200K. I too have a 993 (69K miles) and haven't experienced many problems with it (knocking on wood), and judging from the service records, the previoous two owners experienced nothing outside of periodic maintenance. I pay attention to its maintenance schedule and take care of stuff as it comes up. In any event, I've grown up with german cars my whole life. My mom's got a 1988 MB 300E with almost 300K on the clock that drives like it was 2 years old with 1/10 the miles. BTW, I still like the "ignorant bliss" part. As far as "SAI repairs that are priced for the well to do", here's a link to how to clean your SAI ports (cost is listed at $200 for parts): http://p-car.com/diy/sai/1/sai.htm

And yeah, maintenance on these cars is going to cost more than a Honda. For good reason (try oil changes in both). I'm sure that 90% of the people in the market for a 10 year old Porsche aren't expecting a free ride. There's my 2 cents.

All that being said, I wish the new owner of that vesuvio metallic beauty all the best. Enjoy that car!
Old 10-14-2006, 04:56 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim: So would you buy a clean, well maintained 993 S with a rebuilt engine and tranny for 40K?
I'd be tempted.

Jack
Old 10-14-2006, 05:08 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fwiw: some find a $27k 993s more affordable (to get in to) than a $47k - $60k one... "get in to" being key here. nothin' wrong w/ that.

& tbh... if you love & have always wanted a porsche you will learn to 'diy'... & scrape & save for the rest. somethin' guys w/ very healthy incomes still have to do when their families & investments 'come first'

Quick Reply: Here is a 1997 carrera S for sale