993 Forum 1995-1998

Broken rear drop link

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 03:23 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken rear drop link

Rear of car felt odd....loose......on inspection the drivers side rear drop link has become detached from the bolt holding it to the rear sway.......other side fine!!!

OK need to get car back on road....where do I get a new drop link from for pss9 set up
Old 10-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Gert...
Old 10-11-2006, 03:36 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Viper bob
Old 10-11-2006, 03:44 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Cant find Viperbob.....but spoke with Gert and he is shipping me one tomorrow for arrival Fri/Mon...what a great guy.....really helpful!!!
Old 10-11-2006, 03:44 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

err.... Bilstein?

They don't sell direct. but here's their US retailer list.

http://www.bilstein.com/retail_us.php
Old 10-11-2006, 03:47 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Thanks all for the very fast responses!!! Has anybody else had one of these go??? Gert seemed to think it was a thing that does happen/

I am running a standard sway bar with PSS9 drop links.....I was considering going up a size in sway bar....what are the other PSS9 users fitting and waht is the best point of purchase!!! ohhh and are the drop links more reliable!!!
Old 10-11-2006, 04:10 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes it's not uncommon to break drop links, and I think that sometimes it's a wear issue and sometimes (probably most of the time) it's a setup issue. I've seen it happen where a broken drop link is replaced then the replacement breaks pretty quickly. Obviously setup related.

Also seems like this problem is most common with those of us who lower our cars a lot and thus have to install longer drop links since the rear sway bar now goes UNDER the lower control arm. Seems to be maybe more sensitive to setup issues. We usually use RS drop links. I would carry 4 spares to my track events, but I'm just too cheap to buy 4 spares.

I've seen threads about broken drop links so a search might turn up interesting info.

Also, bilstein WILL send you spare parts. I bought from them extra locknuts for my PSS9s to hold the drop link mount in place better.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:17 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Eric thanks for the info.......I may end up changing sway bar at some point so may swop to RS links at that point.........I dont think it is set up issues as I was told by a mechanic who fits them and reviewed my set up while he was doing balance and alignment that I had done a perfect job. Height might be an issue.....
Old 10-11-2006, 04:17 PM
Sumtoc
Instructor

Default I have popped two...

According to VB and other posts here it is most often caused by the threaded link bracket (where the top of the link is attached) rotating on the shock body. When re-installing with the new link check to make sure the plane of the upper link mounting point is in the same as the plane of the lower attach point (on the bar). Then tighten the bracket lock ring on the shock to prevent it from rotating again.

Some use a screwdriver and a hammer to tighten the ring, but be careful as the ring is Al and can be damaged this way. Others remove the shock to add another ring to double lock it.

After doing this and tightening both sides, I have had no problems. But now I check them every time I change the oil (or am under the car for other reasons) just to be sure.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

One of my rear drop links (don't remember which one) broke after a fairly mild track day...didn't drop a tire off the track or hit anything. It happened 700 miles (3 months) after initial install of the PSS9s. I got a new one from Gert and haven't had any more issues. At the same time the new link was installed, I had new sway bars installed...front=22mm and rear=21mm.

As far as where to purchase...I personally will never go anywhere except Gert. His prices are fair, his shipping is fast, his service is beyond great...what more could you ask for...
Old 10-11-2006, 04:22 PM
dhicks
Drifting

I am in the right plane...checked meticulously....and yes I used a hammer and screw driver (very blunt) to tighten rings.....but from now on will check every time I am under car!!! It does not seem much of an issue when it goes.....in the dry it is just an uneasy feeling....in the wet it is more pronounced and makes you feel very insecure!!!
Old 10-11-2006, 04:33 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
We usually use RS drop links.
Are these RS drop links a Bilstein piece or a Porsche piece?

Also, I assume it takes a pretty serious hit/jar to break a drop link in the absense of an installation issue..??
Old 10-11-2006, 04:52 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen
Are these RS drop links a Bilstein piece or a Porsche piece?...
Yes, they are Porsche parts for the 993 RS.

Originally Posted by Allen
Also, I assume it takes a pretty serious hit/jar to break a drop link in the absense of an installation issue..??
I would have to think the same thing if you're talking about a new part. These parts do see a lot of stress, so they can eventually fail, at least from prolonged track use they can.

There are suspicions that some other things can cause drop links to fail, such as a worn lower rear ball joint. There was just a thread on this. Also, if your drop link mount or shock body is moving under load, it could cause problems here.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:03 PM
dhicks
Drifting

I will check all when I install new drop link........no accidents and as I said everything "appears" installed correctly, not just to my eye but also a fully paid up mechanic who has been working for ASG Fairfax for over 15 years.........
Old 10-11-2006, 08:41 PM
AW21
Racer

I actually just receive my new Bilstein drop link. Had to order it directly from Bilstein. Call Bill Hindorf @ 800-537-1085

Part #: E4-XB2-Z002A00
Link, Stablizer Bar 407188

It shipped from the Bilstein warehouse in San Diego.

Total was $80.76 shipped for ONE.

Hope mine doesn't break again!

Quick Reply: Broken rear drop link