LPMM =

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 05:07 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marco,

Great description of the sound...the sound is nicely regulated by your right foot. Just right when on it but quiet at cruising speeds.

I really like the curved tubing!

Oh, our cars are twins a year apart...I like the Ghetto intake! big ovals PSS-9s although I have clear corners in the front.

Cheers!
Old 10-18-2006, 06:09 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

So many things to think about. Looking at those pics.. makes me wonder what sort of material the stock system is made of. Is it 304 or another stainless alloy or something else entirely?
Old 10-19-2006, 04:46 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not sure what 304 is but it's some kind of stainless steel body with two regular steel pipes which is kind of frustrating. Over here they get pretty rusty looking.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the inlet and outlet pipes are Stainless Steel (or technically: CRS, corosion resistant steel) but they are of a different alloy than the body. There are lots of CRS alloys and they are used for different requirements such as ease of forming, magnetic properties and other issues. The inlet and outlet never get corroded through, they just have a surface corrosion.

Cheers!
Old 10-19-2006, 02:03 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

I'm just wondering if the local steel supply has some aluminized pipe if that would work, but if the outlets are stainless I should stick with stainless. Or at least others are not reporting issues with welding stainless to whatever material it is. I know that some metals do now play well with each other but I'm a software engineer which means I really don't nuthin' about anythin'.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:12 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FotoVeloce
I'm just wondering if the local steel supply has some aluminized pipe if that would work, but if the outlets are stainless I should stick with stainless. Or at least others are not reporting issues with welding stainless to whatever material it is. I know that some metals do now play well with each other but I'm a software engineer which means I really don't nuthin' about anythin'.
As the muffler body is non magnetic, I suspect it is a SS316 alloy, or close clone. The end caps and pipes are (para)magnetic, but appear to be stainless - I suspect they are either SS304 or SS409.
The 40mm SS tubing I welded in was very similar to the latter ( slightly magnetic) - and the point of note is that they fused nicely with standard 0.030 steel MIG wire .... no fancy stainless wire or rod required.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce SEA 993
Marco,

Great description of the sound...the sound is nicely regulated by your right foot. Just right when on it but quiet at cruising speeds.

I really like the curved tubing!

Oh, our cars are twins a year apart...I like the Ghetto intake! big ovals PSS-9s although I have clear corners in the front.

Cheers!
Bruce, or anyone else for that matter, did you play around with straight vs. curved tubing? Was there an appreciable difference between the two?
Old 10-21-2006, 10:25 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Just finished mine a couple of days ago. This is probably one of the best mods on a cost per benefit ratio that I've seen listed here. I've been doing lots of homework on changing the exhaust on my car and was evaluating even going with 100 cel cats and/or RSRs, supercups etc. I just can't belive that I was able to get the sound I was looking for for just over $100 by doing this mod.

Thank you very, very much to everybody who gave me feed back. In particular, thanks first and foremost to Lee, Caveman, Bruce SEA 993 and Danny.

I opted for a 1" stainless pipe because I really wanted to end up with a sound close to the RSRs and I DID. I have my airbox drilled, my engine tray removed and the oval tips currently in the group buy which along with the 1" pipe gives it the perfect note that I was looking for. The sound clips that I heard with the 2" pipe gave it too much depth and strayed too far away from the OEM sound in my humble opinion and the 1" pipe was an excellent solution for me. Also, in discussing this with my wrench, he raised concerns about too large of a pipe taking away too much back pressure, resulting in possible loss of power. I don't know how valid his comment was but nevertheless, I thought I'd put it out there.

On a closing note, after the install, I did noticed that the car revs more freely. I'm not inferring increased power but it seems to breathe better. Anyone else notice this?
Attached Images   
Old 10-21-2006, 11:24 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi LJ,

Nice mod! It is cool that you can choose your diameter and thus your sound volume...hmmm...very cool.

About the car reving more freely or breathing better...I think it sounds better and the aural feedback makes it seem like it is running better. It works for me too!

It reminds me of a show I saw a long time ago called Tech 2000 or something. They were showing some folks working on a noise reduction system that "listened" to the ambient sound and sent out the opposite sound through the speaker system to cancel the noise. The newer Lexus or something have it now...BTW

The next step was to cancel the existing sound and then add in the sound they wanted. So they took a 3 cyl Suzuki and "piped" in a 12 cyl sound from a Ferrari. The viseral feel and driving experience (from a sound standpoint) was really rewarding.

So...I think the quality of the sound feedback gives you a sense of how "good" the engine is running. The LPMM tends to sound good and the engine seems to run with less effort. I would love to claim more efficiency but I think the sound just makes it "feel" good.

I like feeling good so it works!

Cheers!
Old 10-21-2006, 11:34 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blue Ocean
Father it would be great if you do the LPMM vs RSR comparison with sound clips. I know many of us would like to hear the difference.

I'm running RSR's. Yesterday while driving down the highway (around 4k RPM's) I passed by a tricked out M3 with aftermarket exhaust. The guy quickly caught up to me and with a huge grin on his face, pointed to his ears and then gave me a very enthusiastic

Thanks Robin and Leland for making our cars sound like they should!!
+1
Old 10-21-2006, 11:39 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Father,

I just did the curved tubing so I don't have a data point between the two. It just seems intuitive that the flow will go through a curve easier than a 90 deg turn.

With all the LPMM mods out there, we might be able to compare the curved vs straight.

Adios!
Old 07-06-2014, 08:12 AM
f1ava
Instructor

With talk of 1.5" and 2" tubes, there is no mention of whether this is INTERNAL diameter or OUTER diameter.

Can some of you LPMM guys comment?
Old 07-06-2014, 09:31 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by f1ava
With talk of 1.5" and 2" tubes, there is no mention of whether this is INTERNAL diameter or OUTER diameter.

Can some of you LPMM guys comment?
It doesn't matter. I chose 2" ID. but the size of the tubing is entirely up to you.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:40 AM
f1ava
Instructor

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
It doesn't matter. I chose 2" ID. but the size of the tubing is entirely up to you.
Okay , thank you . Wouldn't want any resonating sounds in the cabin due to making the wrong choice for tube sizing!

Also I wondered whether there was a 'sweet spot' for sizing , however the size on this thread (and others) was never specified as ID or OD !
Old 07-06-2014, 10:22 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

If you say where you are located, someone might let you hear them in person.

Quick Reply: LPMM =