993 Forum 1995-1998

Market Trends

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 04:35 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Market Trends

I thought I would share the board real market values......Since I got a clean bill of health on my cancer biopsy, my wonderful new bride and my adorable nine year old little girl from Russia ( adopted @ nine months ) thought Dad needed a Porshe for mental health reasons.

I have been doing due dilgence on two Porsches and both were sold to third parties yesterday"

'97 993 C4S one owner with a ton of options and 23,000 miles, great color combination and all books and service records.....I was at $57,500 and the owner sold it for around $59,000......

'98 993 Cab. one owner with under 10,000 miles, loaded with usable options and great color combination, books, service records etc....I called to offer $51,500 and the owner had already accepted an offer of $50,500......

Both Porsches were mint, Serviced by the book and well cared for....Oh by the way, neither was a Tiptronic....The good ones go fast

Hope this data if helpful
Old 10-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

If you handled all of those other things, you'll find a good car. Congratulations all around!
Old 10-06-2006, 04:50 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clean low-mileage cars will always get the premium, that's for sure. For someone who wants the original car with low mileage and plans on keeping it low mileage by using it as a 2nd or 3rd car (driving say 2-3K miles/year), I always recommended ponying up the extra money (within reason of course)- there's nothing like driving the cars that are just like they left the showroom.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:57 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Guess the prices show the premium the public will pay for low mileage cars.

But more importantly, congratulations on the biopsy report.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:06 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 554 Posts

Happy to hear you're on the top of the world!!! Life is precious.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:20 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Berkley
neither was a Tiptronic....
If the first was a tiptronic, you would have made a deal at $100 000 ....

It would have been unique
Old 10-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The priceless items are a great family to share your excellent health .... the rest is mere 'horse trading' for the right car - of which there is more than one .... enjoy the search.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:52 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Default Geolab

Good Catch....no Tips. until 996 arrival for C4
Old 10-06-2006, 11:11 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

After paying $31k for my 95 cab with 49k mi, I found a concours condition 98 black on black cab with only 24k km (14k mi), 1 owner, full leather interior, sport seats, 18" technology etc. The asking price was a wopping $75k CND ($67K USD). I thought they were crazy and thought I'd wait a few weeks and make an offer in the high $50's, which is a stretch but would have paid it given that it was a perfect 10 for me in terms of color, options and condition. The car sold in less than four weeks, going into the fall in rainy Vancouver, for $72K CND ($64). Would have loved to own the car but at that price, I think I'll keep my cab AND look for a TT.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:28 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm happy that the prices of at least 2 cars are relatively high ... That's good.

But, having a car that's a decade old and only having 10,000 to 15,000 miles is probably not a good deal. I mean, cars need to be driven to keep them from deteriorating from garage rot. Yeah, you can replace stuff, fix stuff, and all that jazz. But, the car will not be as good as a car that is driven on a regular basis.

Just MHO. Others may differ.

Altho, I dont' get a chance to drive my 993 as much as I would like .... work is only 7 miles away and in the cold weather the car barely gets warmed up before I shut it down for 8 hours. Not good. And, I don't like driving it when the salt is on the roads here in New England.

But, that being said, I still manage to drive the car 5K a year and usually a100 miles at a whack. Wish I could drive it more, tho.

I did not buy my '96 993 to keep it in the garage. I bought it to drive. I believe that driving these cars is more important that waiting for a sale to come along. And most of us will not make money on these cars anyway.

Gas it, wash it and drive it like ya stole it ...!

BAGGER
Old 10-07-2006, 01:33 AM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Default Bagger

You are right about use within reason......I got a call this evening from a long time Porsche addict......He wants me to look at a '98 993 Cab. that is two miles from my home......it has 21,000 miles and the second owner has driven it 300 miles since he bought it 2001 from the local Porsche dealer...mostly for annual service

The owner simply has no time.....maybe that is why he is extremely wealthy...we shall see what is under this rock
Old 10-07-2006, 01:43 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

You are right about use within reason......I got a call this evening from a long time Porsche addict......He wants me to look at a '98 993 Cab. that is two miles from my home......it has 21,000 miles and the second owner has driven it 300 miles since he bought it 2001 from the local Porsche dealer...mostly for annual service

The owner simply has no time.....maybe that is why he is extremely wealthy...we shall see what is under this rock
HEY! Hopefully there is treasure waiting under this rock! Good Luck!
Old 10-07-2006, 01:47 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bol & may ferry porsche's angel smile upon you. great news re: the biopsy & the new addition too. life is good... go find that 993!
Old 10-07-2006, 01:49 AM
LuftKopf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Berk:

Wishing you more good luck, this time on the Porsche hunt. You've definitely earned the reward.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:02 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
I'm happy that the prices of at least 2 cars are relatively high ... That's good.

But, having a car that's a decade old and only having 10,000 to 15,000 miles is probably not a good deal. I mean, cars need to be driven to keep them from deteriorating from garage rot. Yeah, you can replace stuff, fix stuff, and all that jazz. But, the car will not be as good as a car that is driven on a regular basis.

Just MHO. Others may differ.

BAGGER
I'm one of those who differ strongly with certain conditions...I bought my car (yes a 1993 964, not a 993 ) when it was 10 years old with 13,000 miles on it. The prior owner drove it only on the weekends and in good weather. Since buying the car I've driven it about 2,500 miles per year (now at 22K and change). I also only drive in good weather and on the weekends. I have had zero problems with the car (except had the climate control unit fixed- nothing to do with miles), and the car was in perfect condition when I bought it and still is. When I bought it it still had the original front tires (which I quickly changed due to age), and original V-belts on it. No leaks, no issues. When I drive the car, I always drive it to full operating temperature, and never go full throttle or high RPM until the car has cycled up to it's operating temperature.

My point is, if a car has low mileage or even very low mileage, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the car will have problems. The questions to ask the seller (or to attempt to verify with records, carfax info, etc) is if the car was driven regularly. Difficult to determine if the regular driving was in short or long trips, but that is difficult on a car with average or high mileage as well (those cars could have 1-2 long trips per year and then be driven to the train station 2 minutes away 260 days per year).

To me it was more than worth the premium price because I have an all original car that is in showroom condition, which I drive only when I will really enjoy it (i.e. I don't commute in the car or drive it in blizzards). I paid a little more, but was better to me than buying a car with 70,000 miles that needed work to make perfect (bringing the total purchase price close to what I paid), and then still having a car with 70,000 miles after all said & done.

I am not writing this to brag about my car, I'm using my car as an example to show the opposite way of thinking. At the end of the day, these are all just used cars, so everything is subject to getting the right car for you and your budget, researching, and luck. Fortunately for those that buy higher mileage cars that are well maintained, these cars are built extremely well and can keep going ang going if you want them to

-Andrew

Quick Reply: Market Trends