Sponsored by:

C2S versus C4S

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 11:21 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
I almost bought a C4S (cause I had to have the fat butt) but found out in dec of 96 that the C2S was comming out. The brakes feel different it and it is slightly different to drive. Drive both and decide. But, It I lived in North Dakota a C4S would be my first choice. Also, new, the C4S was about 10 grand more. Big brakes are cool, but on the street the standard brakes will flatten you eye *****. Ask the lady in the Mini Van who pulled out in front of me this morning. I don't think there is much if any difference in the C4S vs C2S suspension. If you got very serious with the car you would probably replace the stock suspension any way.
10k more..wow...
Old 10-06-2006, 03:16 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

c4s is the better choice for the bigger brakes alone. You won't notice 110# but you will notice the brakes. I personally, couldn't justify the $$ for a c2s when I was looking because it was basically a c2 with a wider rear but no other upgrades...
Old 10-06-2006, 03:17 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Every test I have seen shows almost identical brake performance. The advantage to the Big Reds is less fade over time.

Varying degrees of excellence though.

I don't know about you but I can the feel the difference before and after dropping my son (and his heavy bag o' books) off at school.

Didn't someone have some numbers to show the amount of HP it feels like you gain based on weight reduction?
Old 10-06-2006, 03:34 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Popcorn is ready...
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2006, 03:49 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Popcorn is ready...

lol,

Weather is not an issue for you, so I believe
PRICE and
CONDITION of the car should be the deciding factor.

good luck
Old 10-06-2006, 04:08 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Popcorn is ready...
bout time...lol
Old 10-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
I have had two C2S's and put them into all conditions from racing to driving in the snow. They both had good grip but nothing compared to the C4S. Tonight in a wet parking lot I tried to get the car to spin its tires from a stand still and it didn't do anything but grip the road. Very impressive.
If you drive in a wet climate, I would lean to the C4S. Either car is a great ride.
OH MY GAWD...Your drove the c4s in the rain??.....That car WAS a garage queen
Old 10-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh Phil

When is the new ride arriving?
Old 10-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally Posted by Berkley
When is the new ride arriving?
soon..........just got to take care of a few loose ends.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Fill
OH MY GAWD...Your drove the c4s in the rain??.....That car WAS a garage queen
And it didn't even melt!
Old 10-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
Every test I have seen shows almost identical brake performance. The advantage to the Big Reds is less fade over time.

Varying degrees of excellence though.

I don't know about you but I can the feel the difference before and after dropping my son (and his heavy bag o' books) off at school.

Didn't someone have some numbers to show the amount of HP it feels like you gain based on weight reduction?
The Big Redmain advantage is thermal capacity during track use, but they are capable of generating more brake torque as well, you will need tires, suspension and pads to take full advantge though.

taking 110# out of these cars makes a big difference, where the weight comes from is also important, 1# removed from the bumpers is far more important than 1# removed from the passenger seat.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
The Big Redmain advantage is thermal capacity during track use, but they are capable of generating more brake torque as well, you will need tires, suspension and pads to take full advantge though.

taking 110# out of these cars makes a big difference, where the weight comes from is also important, 1# removed from the bumpers is far more important than 1# removed from the passenger seat.
Absolutely. The 100# between the front axle is not a huge deal. I added almost 200# to my C2S because I needed ballast to meet weight and it did not affect my lap times. It did change how the car handled in a few corners (improved in some, worse in others) though.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:32 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Freddy
C4 is better for high speed driving as well. Once in Germany I did a trip from Hamburg to Berlin and then Berlin to Dresden - that was in 1996 - and I was driving a 993 C4 Coupe - I did most of the trip on the old eastern Germany on the old concrete highways linking Berlin to Dresden at speeds between 155 and 175mph and you could feel the extra safety from 4 wheel drive all the time on the drivability of the car. Pointless to say how much better it is on the rain… While other cars struggle to keep 80mph, you can drive this beast at 150mph (as long as you have new tires and an empty highway) feeling full control of the car.

OK.. you can’t spin your tires… but you will drive faster than most cars on the street and safer as well.

If your intention is for a track car… then the 100lbs could make a difference… otherwise the C4 is always a faster car.

Comparing the C2S with the C4S… getting the C4S will mean a 993TT without the twin turbo while the C2S is a turbo look 993 – Two totally different cars.
In My Opinion this is not concrete.
To feel safer in a C4 on the Autobahn?
You should have pulled over, jumped in a C2 and then after that, make a comparision in safety feeling. It is just an impression and mental.
You were impressed of the speed, thats why you were doing 175mph while the car's top speed is 168mph on a circuit with a porsche test driver.
And myself 2 to 3 times on the Autobahn each month, I did 168 mph with my Twin turbo ONCE and that was not easy at all. I had 450bhp.
In my Carrera 2, I am at 160mph MAX. with rpm at 6500 for 5 secs tops

Porsche C4S has the Turbo's brake calipers and discs because of weight and inertia in All wheels. The mechanical brake system is not the same with the turbo starting with the reservoir.
The struts are the same if with option M030, but the Springs are not at all.
Last but not least, The sway bars are not the same with the turbo, and guess what, they are smaller than the Carrera S.
C4S were produced more, and today in the german blue book, are worth less than the Carrera S.
Porsche even made a statistical study back in 1993.
Their potential clients (high income) insisted on Carrera 4 because they thought always 4 is better than 2 (more options) neglecting totally that 4 is for 4 wheel drive.
You and me know that in 2006, but ask anyone on the street, which is better, a carrera 2S or a carrera 4S? they will always say 4S because 4 is better than 3 than 2 than 1

I like the C4S weight balance though
Old 10-06-2006, 08:03 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
1# removed from the bumpers is far more important than 1# removed from the passenger seat.

And 1lb removed from the brake rotor or wheel = about 5lbs of "static" weight removed from the rest of the car.

Big reds weigh quite a bit more than the standard brakes. I've had both on my 993 and for daily driving, you'll appreciate the performance advantage of the lighter brakes more than you'll ever appreciate the fade resistance of big reds.

MC
Old 10-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Freddy
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Geolab,

As an owner of a 96 C2 Cabrio with 29.000 miles and a 95 C4 Cabrio with 6.000 miles all I can tell you is that my C4 is faster than the C2. Maybe it was built on a better day but the fact is that it is faster.

Regarding the Autobahn... all I can tell you is what I saw on the Speedometer several times... and that was 280kms/h... 5th gear up to 250kms/h and then 6th till the end... a great feeling... what was real speed? I have no idea... all I can say is what was on the speedometer and that was 280kms/h for sure... what a great trip!!!

I got a picture of me and the car on my way through Berlin

In real life the C4 is a better car than the C2.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: C2S versus C4S