Sponsored by:

Brakes - when to replace the rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 11:20 AM
95 Carerra
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes - when to replace the rotors

While my pads on my 95 993 are ok, the rotors are getting to the point, I believe, where they may need replacing. Couple of questions:

- My rotors do have a slight lip at the outer rim. Someone told that that once this happens, I should be on the look out to replace. How big is this lip allowed to get before getting into trouble? Or is the thickness of the rotor the key, and how thin should it not be allowed to get?

- Is there a DIY website for rotor and pad replacement? P-car doesn't seem to have this topic, nor rennlist (although it has website link problems at the moment)

Thank you.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:21 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Or is the thickness of the rotor the key, and how thin should it not be allowed to get?
Yes. 30mm.

Also, I noticed the inside face of my rotors wore more quickly than the outside. So they may need replacement even if there's little apparent wear on the outside.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:58 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Porsche also says to replace if the cracks reach a certain length. I think it's 7mm in front, but you should do a search to confirm, unless somebody else knows offhand.

An additional replacement criteria is if the cracks in the holes start connecting to adjacent holes. Or if the cracks start extending out to the rim of the rotor.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:21 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had new rotors and pads at 30k and most recently 57k. Miles probably dont mean as much as actual wear. My mechanic mentioned it a few times starting at 49k to replace the fronts. I had them turned 39k. The previous set up was Zimmerman and not sure what the pads were but whatever they were, they are a little loud. Im now with OEM and Textar pads. They didnt last that long either.

As far as DIY, Im sure there are several links on this forum. Im not a DIY person.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:22 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Zimmerman set up didnt last that long is what I meant.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:34 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 Carerra
While my pads on my 95 993 are ok, the rotors are getting to the point, I believe, where they may need replacing. Couple of questions:

- My rotors do have a slight lip at the outer rim. Someone told that that once this happens, I should be on the look out to replace. How big is this lip allowed to get before getting into trouble? Or is the thickness of the rotor the key, and how thin should it not be allowed to get?

- Is there a DIY website for rotor and pad replacement? P-car doesn't seem to have this topic, nor rennlist (although it has website link problems at the moment)

Thank you.
As long as your pads are OK, there is no problem.
A small lip on the outer edge of a disc brake is normal wear sign.
RallyJon gave you the limit porsche recommends not to surpass.
New disc brakes come with a 33mm thickness.
A 1.5 mm lip on each side will give you an idea that your discs are to be changed.
Be aware that if you change to new discs, you have to put new pads, and never the old ones.
As for DIY, it is exactly as changing any disc brakes on any car.
One small detail, is to sand extensively the area where your new disc brake will mount.
its the flat area on the wheel hub where the wheel threaded bolts hang out.
Usually this area is slightly rusted and should be well cleaned.
If not, you may risk wobbling while braking.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:55 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by geolab
...Be aware that if you change to new discs, you have to put new pads, and never the old ones...
I disagree. Using old pads with new rotors is perfectly fine.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Jim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to the Porsche Service Manual, the disks are 32mm new, and the minimum acceptable thickness is 30mm. They can be machined as long as both sides are machined symmetrically. (I've never heard of anyone wanting to do this). If the lip is more than 1mm on either side, you should replace. Agree that old pads will fit new rotors quickly, (after a few hot stops), but "as long as you're in there...."
Old 10-02-2006, 02:11 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
If you say so
Old 10-02-2006, 02:39 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think while you are monkeying with the rotors you might as well replace the pads. But I am of the one trip is better than two school.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's the DIY from P-car. Not sure how you missed it. http://p-car.com/diy/brakepads/
Old 10-02-2006, 03:23 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
I've put in new rotors with old pads all of the time and not had any issues. Ideally, though, I'd want to put all-new components in.

From what I've seen, I think the problem is that grooving in both rotor and pad can occur that can be exacerbated by a grooved pad that alters a new rotor. I wonder how deep the grooves would get if you kept on putting on grooved pads with new rotors over the course of ten swaps?
Old 10-02-2006, 03:40 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by geolab
If you say so
Instead of just acting dismissive, why don't you try posting some evidence that PAG recommends always replacing pads when new rotors are installed?
Old 10-02-2006, 03:49 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
...From what I've seen, I think the problem is that grooving in both rotor and pad can occur that can be exacerbated by a grooved pad that alters a new rotor. I wonder how deep the grooves would get if you kept on putting on grooved pads with new rotors over the course of ten swaps?
The workshop manual states that when you install new pads (onto existing rotors), the pads will adapt to the uneven profile of the rotors pretty quickly. I think their point was that the rotor's holes (and otherwise "high abrasiveness" of the rotors) help that process. At any rate, i think it's safe to say that a pad with uneven profile (i.e. a used pad) will adapt pretty quickly to match your new flat rotors.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:50 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Its highly recommended to bed new rotors with old pads, and opposite as well..

Quick Reply: Brakes - when to replace the rotors