993 Forum 1995-1998

Zimmerman Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 03:52 PM
Flyingtexan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zimmerman Rotors

Anyone used the Zimmerman Rotors from Pelican Parts? Bout to do the full Monte on my 96 and wondering if their worth the discount over the oem stuff.

Thanks
Old 09-28-2006, 03:57 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Good read here: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/299835-best-source-for-brakes.html

It appears that Sunset sells OE, Porsche box rotors for the same price Pelican sells Zimmermans. I'm a bit incredulous, but people swear it's true.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:01 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Its really true thats where mine came from....and.....very important this......they do NOT rust like the Z ones!!!!!
Old 09-28-2006, 04:09 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 416 Posts

Zimmermans rust, who cares? They work the same, if you want to have a garage queen/concours winner then go for OE. Otherwise if you track the car, which means you WILL crack your rotors and if you can save some a couple of hundred $$ on the Zimmermans, giddy up.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:14 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
Zimmermans rust, who cares? They work the same, if you want to have a garage queen/concours winner then go for OE. Otherwise if you track the car, which means you WILL crack your rotors and if you can save some a couple of hundred $$ on the Zimmermans, giddy up.
FWIW,...Zimmerman's are softer than OEM's and not last as long. IMHO, its been more cost-effective to buy the factory rotors.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:22 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
FWIW,...Zimmerman's are softer than OEM's and not last as long. IMHO, its been more cost-effective to buy the factory rotors.
In the words of Homer Simpson, DOH! I did not know that. Further evidence that a little information is a dangerous thing. And thank you Steve for not making me feel like a total dope by adding that magic acronym of IMHO. Just goes to show you that we should all stick with what we do best.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Sunset sells the front rotors for $105 or so. Cheap, cheap.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:33 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It's interesting if you back out the numbers. Sunset says they sell for cost +15%. That makes their cost $91 or so. I believe Wayne (at Pelican) pays the same prices dealers do. So does that mean Wayne is taking a whopping 82% markup? That really doesn't make sense to me. There's something missing here...
Old 09-28-2006, 04:45 PM
dhicks
Drifting

hehehehe I had done that calcualtion a while ago as well........were you ion Sales and Marketing at some point too??? I just cant help doing stuff like that.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:27 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its a matter of spending a few extra $$$ on OEM, do it. I think the pricing from Sunset will be less than the Zimmermans on Pelican-I went through all that and stuck with OEM rotors and Textar pads. Not saying Zimmermans are bad but I would rather spend a few extra $$$ on quality. Take it from a guy who has been down the same path as you are today. Im not an expert but just went down your road a month ago.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:43 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

+1
Old 09-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who makes the Porsche part? I always thought they were just quality-checked Zimmerman's that had been painted.

edit: Oh never mind...Jason Andreas addresses it in the linked post. They are NOT just painted Zs.

Last edited by Jack of Hearts; 09-28-2006 at 10:18 PM. Reason: duh
Old 09-29-2006, 12:13 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased Zimmermans only to read here on Rennlist that they weren't as good as OE stuff. I thought what I was getting with the Zimmies was the same basic component by the same people minus a porsche part # and some heat tolerant primer paint. I had them installed and was trying to figure out why "OEM" rotors and pads (Pagids) were squealing so much with a seach here on RL before I realized what I had done The folks at AJUSA were kind enough to take back my slightly used pagids and refunded my money PLUS actually gave me a few extra bucks back on what I paid for the Zimmies. That WAS cost effective due to the savings but I don't think you are going to get that slamming a deal like I did. Plus there was PAIN involved. So off to the dealer I went for the OE Textar pads and Pep Boys for some heat resistant engine primer paint. I just recently painted the tops of the rotor hats black and can't figure out why rotors come with an ugly primer color in the first place. If I could do it all over again I'd just go to the dealer or Sunset (no tax) and get my stuff there. Good Luck!
Old 09-29-2006, 07:56 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 996 Likes on 529 Posts

It's a safety item and not worth compromising my life (and anyone else's) for false economy.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:15 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
+1
I miss Ray again, he'd have perfect reply to this.

As Steve W. already said, it's not (only) cosmetic problem with Zimmermans. There's plenty of us here who have tried and found out that they don't last as long. And this especially if you use your brakes as they are meant to be (hard).

Quick Reply: Zimmerman Rotors