Inadequate/No Muffler in NYS

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Inadequate/No Muffler in NYS

Does anyone know the fine for Inadequate/No Muffler (375-31) in New York State?
How about the fine for Inadequate/No Front Plate (402-1)in New York State?

Thanks
Old 09-28-2006, 12:14 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't know NY but I got muffler ticket here in Fla and it was about $60.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:15 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dudley
Does anyone know the fine for Inadequate/No Muffler (375-31) in New York State?

Thanks
The plate ticket is $45 I believe. I have gotten a few of those while parked from the same damn meter guy!
Old 09-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Sounds like someone's thinking of Supercups!
Old 09-28-2006, 12:37 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been stopped a few times and none of the officers said anything about my exhaust.

Tip - when you get stopped, pull over to the side of the road, roll both front windows down, then shut down the car. That way, the officer doesn't have to talk over the exhaust. I roll both windows down because some cops like to walk up on the passenger side so they aren't between you and traffic. Nobody has said anything about my front plate, either!
Old 09-28-2006, 12:41 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrwin
The plate ticket is $45 I believe. I have gotten a few of those while parked from the same damn meter guy!
Make photocopy of front plate..laminate and keep handy..
Old 09-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Make photocopy of front plate..laminate and keep handy..
I even tried putting the plate on my dash, but still got a ticket and it said "Plate on dash".
Old 09-28-2006, 04:59 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrwin
I even tried putting the plate on my dash, but still got a ticket and it said "Plate on dash".
Buy him coffee
Old 09-28-2006, 05:37 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

How can a NY police officer ticket you for not having a Massachusetts front plate? What happens when you have a green Massachusetts license plate which means you were only issued one plate for the rear and nothing for the front?
Old 09-28-2006, 05:40 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
How can a NY police officer ticket you for not having a Massachusetts front plate? What happens when you have a green Massachusetts license plate which means you were only issued one plate for the rear and nothing for the front?
I don't believe so. Anything out of state is out of their jurisdiction.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
I guess you are right Jason. I should come clean. Here is the story behind my question.

About 3 hours from the Glen and halfway home on an empty road, my radar detector went off. I hit my brakes and looked around for the bogey. I saw a NY State Trooper parked in the trees of the Interstate Median. As I passed him, I had gotten down to 65 mph. I cruised ahead, looking behind me.

Crap, he pulled out and started to follow me. A half mile later, he turned on his lights and I pulled into the breakdown lane. He walked up to the car and I rolled down the window. “License and registration.” I handed him the documents.

He said, “Do you know why I stopped you?” I said no. He asked if I knew how fast I was driving. I said, “No, I don’t. I am sorry but I was zoned out, heading home and I was not paying attention to speed.” He said, “Pick a number. 70, 80, 90.” I said I had no idea. He said, “I got you at 95 after you hit your brakes.” He looked in the car and asked me where I was coming from. With a helmet, rollbar, fire extinguisher, assorted race tape and tech inspection stickers, I figured Church was not a good answer. I told him Watkins Glen.

He asked when was the last time I got a speeding ticket. I told him 10 years. (I assumed he meant convicted.) He walked around the car, looking at my front plate. He walked to the window and said, “Your license plate is not standard. I am giving you a ticket for a non-standard plate.” I said, “What’s wrong with my plate?” He leaned down to my window and said, “You don’t understand. I am giving you a ticket for your front plate.” “Thank you,” I said.

He left for his cruiser. Fifteen minutes later he came back with the ticket. He told me he decided to write the ticket for Inadequate Muffler. He said that it was not a moving violation and I would not get any insurance points. He instructed me to mail in the ticket and if I plead guilty, he said the court will send me the amount of the fine. He added, “If you plead not guilty, I will explain to the court how fast you were actually going.” I said thank you again.

Before he turned to leave, he took another look at my dash. He asked me, “Is that the Valentine 1?” Rats, I forgot to take down the remote readout of my Valentine. I said yes it was. He said, “Those are the best you can get. If I caught you, you must have really been zoned out!” I agreed and he left.

I mailed in the ticket today. Pleading guilty for Inadequate/No Muffler.

This guy was very cool.

Last edited by Dudley; 09-28-2006 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:28 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

HAHA Dudley great story - I wish I could have been so lucky with my latest ticket.

Reminds me when my brother-in-law and I were in GA heading to the shooting range with guns in the back seat. I was driving my g-friends car, no proof of insurance, no registration and a DL from Texas. Anyway, he stops us for speeding, asks us where we are headed with the "armory" in the back seat - oh crap, Im in trouble! We tell him the shooting range - he happened to be very familiar with the one we are going to. He checks out the pistols. Asks a bunch of gun tech questions. Our story checked out - he sent us on our way! No ticket! I think the guns saved us.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:28 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Dave, I'd be surprised if it costs more than $60 or so. Although with all the NYS surcharges...

Oh, wlecome back
Old 09-28-2006, 09:32 PM
LuftKopf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great story, and good fortune.
not sure of the fines but nice break...

You know, he might have felt sorry for you being from Shroozbry...home of one of Mass' finest speed trap theme parks...

I'm an ex Bostonian, as you may guess...

these stats are great!http://www.boston.com/globe/metro/pa...own_large.html
Old 09-28-2006, 09:58 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess you are right Jason. I should come clean. Here is the story behind my question.

About 3 hours from the Glen and halfway home on an empty road, my radar detector went off. I hit my brakes and looked around for the bogey. I saw a NY State Trooper parked in the trees of the Interstate Median. As I passed him, I had gotten down to 65 mph. I cruised ahead, looking behind me.

Crap, he pulled out and started to follow me. A half mile later, he turned on his lights and I pulled into the breakdown lane. He walked up to the car and I rolled down the window. “License and registration.” I handed him the documents.

He said, “Do you know why I stopped you?” I said no. He asked if I knew how fast I was driving. I said, “No, I don’t. I am sorry but I was zoned out, heading home and I was not paying attention to speed.” He said, “Pick a number. 70, 80, 90.” I said I had no idea. He said, “I got you at 95 after you hit your brakes.” He looked in the car and asked me where I was coming from. With a helmet, rollbar, fire extinguisher, assorted race tape and tech inspection stickers, I figured Church was not a good answer. I told him Watkins Glen.

He asked when was the last time I got a speeding ticket. I told him 10 years. (I assumed he meant convicted.) He walked around the car, looking at my front plate. He walked to the window and said, “Your license plate is not standard. I am giving you a ticket for a non-standard plate.” I said, “What’s wrong with my plate?” He leaned down to my window and said, “You don’t understand. I am giving you a ticket for your front plate.” “Thank you,” I said.

He left for his cruiser. Fifteen minutes later he came back with the ticket. He told me he decided to write the ticket for Inadequate Muffler. He said that it was not a moving violation and I would not get any insurance points. He instructed me to mail in the ticket and if I plead guilty, he said the court will send me the amount of the fine. He added, “If you plead not guilty, I will explain to the court how fast you were actually going.” I said thank you again.

Before he turned to leave, he took another look at my dash. He asked me, “Is that the Valentine 1?” Rats, I forgot to take down the remote readout of my Valentine. I said yes it was. He said, “Those are the best you can get. If I caught you, you must have really been zoned out!” I agreed and he left.

I mailed in the ticket today. Pleading guilty for Inadequate/No Muffler.

This guy was very cool.
What do you know - a cool cop. They do exist, they're just the extreme minority in my experience.

Quick Reply: Inadequate/No Muffler in NYS