Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed new Big oval Tips today (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 02:13 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 256 Posts

Are they bologna cut?
Old 10-19-2006, 03:13 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm waiting... enroute... will be perfect timing b/c i've !!!finally!!! learned how to pull into my steep drive w/ the new low *** suspension
Old 10-19-2006, 03:32 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Originally Posted by FotoVeloce
I just hope he got my order. My PayPal account got messed up and I can't tell if the funds went or not. I'm not stupid but the PayPal info for my account is totally confusing. I'm hoping to hear back from Joss on payment/non-payment soon.. maybe I'll just order another set and if I end up with two.. I'll graft one onto the 964.

josh emailed me back & said he received my pmt & that they'd go out the next day... fwiw. i'd email him & ask.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:44 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Got mine today. Installed them. Unfortunately with no jack/stands, it was a little bit of a challenge. After trying to get my head under the car (barely), I found that the flange was positioned so that the bolt was pointed perpendicular to the ground. I had to reach up under the car but I got it eventually. After taking everything off I cleaned everything with a little steel wool and got all the crap and surface rust off. I repositioned the bolt so that it's parallel to the ground. It'll be a little bit easier to get to next time.

I just hope that I can avoid the dreaded "I-melted-my-bumer-cover-because-the-tips-were-too-close-to-it" syndrome. Right now they are about a finger's width away on all sides (they are about like Freddy's polar silver C4). Does that seem far enough away???
Old 10-20-2006, 06:27 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

am i too late?
Old 10-20-2006, 11:02 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
...I just hope that I can avoid the dreaded "I-melted-my-bumer-cover-because-the-tips-were-too-close-to-it" syndrome. Right now they are about a finger's width away on all sides (they are about like Freddy's polar silver C4). Does that seem far enough away???
A finger's width is how I set mine. On my former 993 I had factory big ovals that were closer (like 3/8") and it wasn't a problem, but I stick to a finger's width to be safe.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:34 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
A finger's width is how I set mine. On my former 993 I had factory big ovals that were closer (like 3/8") and it wasn't a problem, but I stick to a finger's width to be safe.
Thanks Eric!
Old 10-20-2006, 12:36 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the voice of a truely annoying spoiled child......

I got my ovals! I got my ovals!
Old 10-20-2006, 01:00 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
... I found that the flange was positioned so that the bolt was pointed perpendicular to the ground.
I have mine set up this way too. Don't want the bolts/nuts to be visible from the side view. I am not so sure if they are but too lazy to check.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:14 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Originally Posted by hn
I have mine set up this way too. Don't want the bolts/nuts to be visible from the side view. I am not so sure if they are but too lazy to check.
hey hn... long time no see! please come to the funrun on sunday! (see thread: glendora funrun) - be great to see ya. that would make 3 blk cabs!

re: the bolts mine face down & cannot be seen... but they're the motor sound tips.

still no tips for me in the mail... wt

btw: leland::::::::::::::::: nope, i don't think so...
Old 10-20-2006, 01:27 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Got mine this morning...they look preeeety good!!!! According to Freddy, all I need to install is a #13 wrench and the courage to clean the garage floor with my face!!!!
Old 10-20-2006, 01:29 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 24FPS
hey hn... long time no see! please come to the funrun on sunday! (see thread: glendora funrun) - be great to see ya. that would make 3 blk cabs!

re: the bolts mine face down & cannot be seen... but they're the motor sound tips.

still no tips for me in the mail... wt

btw: leland::::::::::::::::: nope, i don't think so...
Hey Rich, I still read Rennlist everyday (trust me, more than once) and know about the Glendora run. I am getting too old for this . The real reason is I don't sleep very well. All the other times in the past, I only had a few hours of sleep the night before. So will see, if I feel well, I'll show up...

If you have the motor sound tips why are u getting these? I think I like the smaller size of the oem better, assuming they are the big oval, not square.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:38 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Originally Posted by hn
Hey Rich, I still read Rennlist everyday (trust me, more than once) and know about the Glendora run. I am getting too old for this . The real reason is I don't sleep very well. All the other times in the past, I only had a few hours of sleep the night before. So will see, if I feel well, I'll show up...

If you have the motor sound tips why are u getting these? I think I like the smaller size of the oem better, assuming they are the big oval, not square.
there is no way you are too old... look @ some of these other guys ! heh eh heh he...
i'm going to guess you must be much older than you look??? -i hear ya though... gotta' take care of your body.
fwiw: thought i'd give 'em a shot & see what they'd look like on. hey $50 is nothin' compared to the factory wides. i may coat them black too...
Old 10-20-2006, 03:58 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Air Kuul TT
Very nice Bruce, thanks for the pics.

Can someone take some pics of the ovals before installing them. TIA
Here you go Tony.
The only thing I did was take a rag with acetone on it, and wipe the overspray off the outer lip. The paint made the edge look rough. Other than that, they are pretty damn nice for $50.00!
Attached Images    
Old 10-20-2006, 04:01 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
Here you go Tony.
The only thing I did was take a rag with acetone on it, and wipe the overspray off the outer lip. The paint made the edge look rough. Other than that, they are pretty damn nice for $50.00!
not bad compared to $700.

Quick Reply: Installed new Big oval Tips today (pics)