Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed new Big oval Tips today (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 04:20 PM
LuftKopf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a light touch with 0000 steel wool and the paint/edge feathered away nicely.

Glad you guys like these.

Funny, I put a second set on my Cab a week after installing and loving them on my Coupe.

I'm standing there going... Strange... They just don't look as good as on the coupe.

Went for a ride, came back, and on that backward glance we all give our cars, it hit me.
they were on upside down.

Duh.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:13 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
Here you go Tony.
The only thing I did was take a rag with acetone on it, and wipe the overspray off the outer lip. The paint made the edge look rough. Other than that, they are pretty damn nice for $50.00!

Darrin,

You are da man... thanks for remembering

Yeah those look pretty nice and they do look just like the OEM Big Ovals...
Old 10-20-2006, 07:54 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Air Kuul TT
Darrin,

You are da man... thanks for remembering

Yeah those look pretty nice and they do look just like the OEM Big Ovals...
Yeah, once they're bolted up underneath the body, I think it will be hard to tell the difference.....unless you look at your bank account! About 1/10th of the cost!
Old 10-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,146 Likes on 1,824 Posts

I guess Darin won me to posting pics before install, sorry Tony. I thought I got them on Friday but I actually didn't receive and install them until yesterday. I did take pre-install pics for you though. Mine had a couple of blemishes that are not visible after install anyway and the overspray on the outer lip is an easy fix. Fantastic value for $50. My previous tips were a used aftermarket set from eBay that cost me some $120 used ($260 new) and these look much better!!!
Old 10-20-2006, 11:23 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Here you go Tony.
The only thing I did was take a rag with acetone on it, and wipe the overspray off the outer lip. The paint made the edge look rough. Other than that, they are pretty damn nice for $50.00!

fwiw: got mine too... could not believe how substantial they feel. nice & weighty.

i'll put mine on in the morning after a nice wash...

mahalo again guys... sweet gb! & i think the cheapest!

i swear they must have them made in china to offer prices like this.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:28 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Originally Posted by LJ in Van
I guess Darin won me to posting pics before install, sorry Tony. I thought I got them on Friday but I actually didn't receive and install them until yesterday. I did take pre-install pics for you though. Mine had a couple of blemishes that are not visible after install anyway and the overspray on the outer lip is an easy fix. Fantastic value for $50. My previous tips were a used aftermarket set from eBay that cost me some $120 used ($260 new) and these look much better!!!

LJ,

Thank you too for remembering my request. Do post some pix with them on your ride
Old 10-20-2006, 11:45 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Originally Posted by Air Kuul TT
LJ,

Thank you too for remembering my request. Do post some pix with them on your ride

look like they'll fit toe ny???
Old 10-21-2006, 04:22 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

I took a handful of photos when I unpacked them and installed them. Still need to snap one pick of the post-install from rear. I do have one that compares the stock tip (which I *thought* looked OK) and the new one. Nice. The units are very nice. I don't think a $500 would be worth it for the cosmetic effect.

The ones C5dude is selling are pretty good! Better quality than the stock Porsche units I took off!! Painted black on the inside, polished on the outside. I didn't feel like I needed to do anything except bolt them on. Very VERY happy customer!!

Now.. any chance the same outfit makes a set for my crusty old '90 964?
Old 10-21-2006, 07:46 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Originally Posted by FotoVeloce
...Very VERY happy customer!!...

... like someone said... for the price of a tank of gas!

btw: anyone else? i just got done putting them on & my car actually sounds a bit dirtier... in a good way. anyone else notice a throatier tone change?

& btw: chris: the correct way to mount 'em is to match the body line w/ the flanges & the longer part of the lip is on top right? wanna be sure just in case!
Old 10-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Royalcarrera
Intermediate

Default SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL

Just installed my tips,could not be more pleased, Sincerely Porsche, Royal
Old 10-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Freddy
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Pedro, Let us have some pictures of your car with them installed!!!
Old 10-21-2006, 09:34 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Just placed my order! Also orderd the RS short shift kit from Gert... woohoo!!!!
Old 10-21-2006, 09:58 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,146 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Not the greatest pictures but the point is they're installed. 24FPS: Yes, the tone is deeper than with the OEM regular tips. Unfortunately for me, I already had aftermarket ones and these ones have a lighter note than my old ones. I noticed a difference immediately after I switched them but the difference was relatively small and after driving it a few miles I don't notice the loss to much. Aside from this small drawback particular to my car, they look great and I'm very happy with them!
Attached Images   
Old 10-22-2006, 10:22 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i just shot josh an email. i'm hoping i'm not too late and i really hope he's willing to ship to a military APO addy.

lee
Old 10-22-2006, 02:55 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Default Here are my photo contributions

Here you go Tony.
Curious. Were yours not pained on the inside? Mine where sprayed black insde the tips. I like the way the megaphine interior of the tip looks. Compared to my factory Porsche tips these things are spectacular!

So I've added my phots contributions to the thread.

First the tips as delivered. Look pretty good.

Next a picture of what the interior of the tip and cone constrution looks like (model: Mini-Me)

Comparison of the crusty stock little tips compared to new. No question they are of suitable quality for my Pcar.

Last.. side-by-side comparison of what the stock tip and the afermaret tip looks like. Nice update for sure! Really.. PLEASE.. make a tip like this for my 964!
Attached Images     

Last edited by FotoVeloce; 10-22-2006 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Added pictures

Quick Reply: Installed new Big oval Tips today (pics)