Sponsored by:

Is LA Porsche Dismantlers always like this? Survey says...yes, pretty much

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 11:57 AM
fetus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had bad luck with them that turned out to be good luck. I asked for a pair of Turbo sway bars. They sent me an RS front sway bar and a rear turbo bar from an earlier porsche which of course didn't fit. However I gave them a call and they swapped the rear sway bar with the correct one. Of course I decided to keep the front sway bar.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I tried to price out a 97 ECU to swap out my 96. They are about $1100 brand new from Sunset. LA phoned me back and told me that price was $800 and the core charge was $300. I pointed out that the price was more than brand new and I will have TWO ECU's ; they seemed unconcerned and basically told me they sell lots of them and take it or leave it. I left it.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-22-2007, 01:21 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've spent a lot of $$ w/Todd and he has always treated me right. A couple things a bit high on price, a couple of things an excellent buy..it all panned out. I always go there in person. I think only way to do it. You would not belive how crazy the phones are there, so I can understand some of the frustration...They are now in a new facility that makes parts retrevial much easier for them. I can't vouch for working w/anyone but Todd or any ebay stuff. I do know that just about anything that's a buy it now on ebay can be negotiated down in price w/a call. Anyway, I can tell you if there has ever been a problem, he's fixed it. But like anything, call Sunset and a few other places and go in w/knowledge. Whoever posted about the ECU did the right thing. I have to give LAPD two thumbs up.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:59 PM
baron95993
Pro

Went to visit them 2 years ago ask before we drove there could we look around (and he said sure), when we got to his location would not let us look at anything. He told us we could look from the road what ever we saw from the road was good enough. I ask him was all of his employees that much of a *** he said he was the owner. The only reason we were not totally pissed was his wife came out she was very nice and looked like a stripped. We talked with her for 30 mins and left.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:46 PM
Peter Badore
Advanced

I can't comment on LA Porsche Dismantlers but for two others mentioned I have had direct experience that is worth sharing. DC Automotive is a first class operation. I bought a new 964 windshield from them that they shipped promptly and added extra dunnage and protection based on their experience to prevent damage. It arrived in perfect condition. German Auto dismantlers (GAD, Inc) is to be avoided except maybe on eBay where there is a feedback forum. GAD frequently misrepresents their non eBay sales to the point of fraud. I have many documented examples of the cars they sold that were nothing like what the buyers expected based on GAD descriptions. Avoid them.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:12 PM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've had a couple of GREAT experiences with DC Automotive. Very helpful on the phone, product and shipped was just as I expected.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:35 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Badore
German Auto dismantlers (GAD, Inc) is to be avoided except maybe on eBay where there is a feedback forum. GAD frequently misrepresents their non eBay sales to the point of fraud. I have many documented examples of the cars they sold that were nothing like what the buyers expected based on GAD descriptions. Avoid them.
Their eBay sales are just as bad if not worse. GAD got me on eBay by double charging my CC and instead of removing the second charge they shipped another item. I've smartened up over the years and come to the conclusion that I can buy brand-new items from Porsche for about the same money (sometimes even less) that the dismantlers are charging.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:53 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jnnking
I've had a couple of GREAT experiences with DC Automotive. Very helpful on the phone, product and shipped was just as I expected.
I've only dealt w/ DC A. once but I found this to be the case on my transaction. I'll do business w/ them again.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:58 PM
Peter Badore
Advanced

"Their eBay sales are just as bad if not worse."
So they manage to take advantage of and cheat some of their eBay customers. That sounds right for the likes of GAD and Joe Cogbill. Avoid if at all possible.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:05 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how the hell do they have a 100% feedback if there are so many unhappy customers?
Old 04-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 993C4Smontreal
how the hell do they have a 100% feedback if there are so many unhappy customers?
Because they tell their buyers that good buyer feedback will only be provided if the buyer provides them with good feedback.
"Please leave positive feedback for me on eBay and I'll do the same for you."

Quick Reply: Is LA Porsche Dismantlers always like this? Survey says...yes, pretty much