993 Forum 1995-1998

garage lift recommendations please

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 11:33 AM
mbb993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default garage lift recommendations please

Planning a garage expansion/renovation and am considering a two post car lift. I have never used one so have no idea what to look for. What brand/specs to consider?
Old 04-18-2007, 04:46 PM
vuugti
Addict
Rennlist Member

Search, search, search, this has been covered ad nauseam.

Andy
Old 04-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Greg Smith Pro 9 9000lb lift. Super heavy duty, very heavy construction. I have one and have installed another...great lift for the money. Check out Greg Smith

Just my twe cents from a happy customer.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-18-2007, 09:12 PM
mbb993
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike J
Greg Smith Pro 9 9000lb lift. Super heavy duty, very heavy construction. I have one and have installed another...great lift for the money. Check out Greg Smith

Just my twe cents from a happy customer.

Cheers,

Mike
Thanks for the advice Mike. First hand info always best.
Only limitation is my ceiling height will be maximum of 11'

Wow, that's a great price. Best one I have seen so far. I checked out the Bend Pak and Rotary lifts. My mechanic uses a Rotary but I see they are quite a bit more expensive but I have no clue as to their quality.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Mark,

My ceilings under the joists are 10'4", the PRO 9F is 9'4" if you get the one with the cables on the floor. With a 11' ceiling you should be able to lift your 993 over 6' in the air.

I looked at Rotary. Too expensive. I looked a Pend Pak. Too expensive. I looked at a few other brands...too dicey. I looked at Greg Smith...they are very large (two 50,000 ft warehouses) and sell thousands of lifts so I figured the specs looked good, they are large to backup their product, and other Rennlisters have bought sissor lifts from them so they should check out. I talked to them and it turned out they source their lifts from the same factory in China that Rotary does. The pump is US orgin though.

I recieved the lift, installed in about 4 hours, and began using it. In the meanwhile I went down to a Porsche Independant and checked out their lifts...they looked positively spindly compared to the monster I have a home.

I think I paid about $1645 for the 9000lb lift and have an oil drain included for $35...but we were buying three lifts at a time.

Check out my old thread on the installation...its full of pics:

2 Post Lift Thread

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: garage lift recommendations please