Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Every Porsche ever built is a race car.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Cool Every Porsche ever built is a race car.....

that's for certain. I just had my 993 at Laguna Seca for 3 days with the Porsche Owners Club. The car ran flawless all weekend....incredible handling, braking, etc. I ran two races with the car....incredible.

Lots of my colleagues had their cars up on jack stands at various times during the weekend...not my little 993. She was just resting between sessions, in her garage.

In closing, my car is very close to stock othere than some suspension mods. It has a full interior, air conditioning (it works), 6 CD player, license plates front and rear.

Suspension is PSS9s, TRG sways, 993RS rear drop links, ERP toe links, ERP monoball. For tires I run Hoosiers and trade off with Hankook 17" on Cup wheels. I hired a tech to go through the rear bump steer...Jae Lee at Mirage International. Five (5) hours later, it was perfect.

Damn...these 993 cars kick butt.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Martin,

Good to hear! Your first club race, correct? Congrats!

How were the results?
Old 09-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey, Martin -

Glad to hear about the Laguna event. I miss being out there w/ you guys and hope to see you soon.

Rich
Old 09-04-2006, 08:55 PM
901aero
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothin' like it is there? I remember even my ole '77 Carrera 3.0 on the track was amazing. Again no mods really, and the brakes never faded, nothing broke, and I drove it to work on Monday. If everyone that was considering a sports car drove a 911 on the track they would soon see the difference between owning a real sports car versus owning the "image" of a sports car.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:34 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You 'da Man Martin - And did you just happen to drive it to and from the track too?

Best wishes
Old 09-05-2006, 12:22 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Cool

First Club Race....and I must confess, I trailered "Baby" to the track. One of the big reasons, I got tired of begging people to tote tires for me. I go up with tires on the car and two (2) additional sets. That is a major imposition on my race buddies.Also...it is real nice to arrive at the track 100% prepared to go...just pull the car off the trailer....I'm ready! <<<Sponge Bob says this too.

POC race groups are Red (Fastest), Orange (Pretty Damn quick) and Green (Fast). All the drivers in these groups are POC Cup Racing Licensed. At the recent Laguna Seca event, I started out practicing with the Orange...sort of a bust. I would go out at the end of the group, being one of the slower cars, and then I'd never see a car again. I wasn't fast enough to catch the front runners, but sufficiently fast so I didn't get lapped....the race practice turned into one giant time trial with me getting no experience passing or being passed. My times were very consistent...one session I ran nothing but 1:49s, all within 3/10th of a second...this was a huge time trial...not what I had come to do.

Jeff Melnik, the POC VP of Motorsports (All Board Members are VPs), noticed my dilemma and asked me if I wanted to run in the Green Group...why not said I. He said if I did, I'd being running DFL (Dead F&$king Last) in every session, and races too. And that was only fair as the cars I was running against were 3.2 Carrera, so called JI cars and IP cars, 78 to 83 SC cars, and the 944 spec racers with a Boxster thrown in for fun.

Why is my 993 not competitive in Orange? It's real simple...I never read the POC Racing rule book while I was doing my car mods. I was listening to my pals on Rennlist. The PSS9 suspension moved the car out of Stock Class, past Improved to Prepared. I believe that was 2 points for the PSS9s...the 993RS tail gave ma an additional point...I have 3 points and I could have 10 more in my class. I could run slicks, add gears, drop all sorts of weight...I refuse to do this. I have s street car that I take to the track. It has a full interior, air conditioning that works, a 6 CD player and a stock passenger seat....it's heavy for its class. And as we all know, its all about HP and weight...driving skill helps too.

Going forward in the weekend, I would start DFL in all the practice sessions, the daily race qualifiers and the race. This gave me plenty of passing practice. In the first race on Saturday, 10 laps, I started DFL and went from 16th to 7th. On Sunday,starting DFL again, I went from 14th to 4th in 15 laps. Both races I set the fastest time of the race, 1:47.450 on Saturday and a 1:46.502 on Sunday. By the way, the 1:46.502 was a competitive time in the Orannge Group, toward the back, but not DFL.

The best part about racing for me is passing, anywhere, anytime, no passing signal required...the next best thing is the start....talk about an adrenalin rush! The best time I was running in the Orange earlier in the weekend was a 1:49.??? In the Green, as a result of having "rabbits" to chase, I dropped nearly 3 seconds off this time.

In conclusion, the POC Racing Program is extremely well run. The average POC driver probably drives a minimum of two (2) years, about 8 events a year, before they are eligible for the POC Racers Clinic. It takes two (2) successful clinics to earn a Provisional Cup Racing License...and two race weekends of racing to advance past provisional status. Bottom line, the guys and gals you race with have plenty of driving experience and are predictible. Once you do a race...Time Trials will never be the same, they are just a different venue....

Thanks for listening to my babble!!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 12:24 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congrats Martin, sounds like a load of fun!
Old 09-05-2006, 12:30 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,664 Likes on 2,330 Posts

martin, i envy you.
so you ended up racing your white 993RS look car?
i rememberd you trying to buy a dedicated race car?
Old 09-05-2006, 12:41 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Cool Racing the 993

Mooty....I was going to buy a dedicated race car, it just never happened for lots of reasons. My 993 is a great race car....racing is really not that much different than a Time Trial or DE. The only difference is the start and the open passing.

Also, I feel very good racing with POC. Their drivers are very well trained. It is a long arduous process to get a POC Cup Racing License. Once you have one you can pretty much race anywhere.

With an unlimited budget, I would have a Cup Car, an enclosed trailer and a bigger tow rig. And my relationship with my Porsche specialty shop would be much closer...they'd have a lot more of my money. It would be nice to drive a 2700 Lb car with 380 HP and all the other goodies that come with a Cup Car.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:51 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Martin, I certainly enjoyed reading your race report! Congrats! Keep up the good work!!
Old 09-05-2006, 01:21 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,664 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Mooty....I was going to buy a dedicated race car, it just never happened for lots of reasons. My 993 is a great race car....racing is really not that much different than a Time Trial or DE. The only difference is the start and the open passing.

Also, I feel very good racing with POC. Their drivers are very well trained. It is a long arduous process to get a POC Cup Racing License. Once you have one you can pretty much race anywhere.

With an unlimited budget, I would have a Cup Car, an enclosed trailer and a bigger tow rig. And my relationship with my Porsche specialty shop would be much closer...they'd have a lot more of my money. It would be nice to drive a 2700 Lb car with 380 HP and all the other goodies that come with a Cup Car.
hahaha i dream of cup cars too.
i did two gentleman races this year. what a rush. i am not sure i should keep doing it. it's too addictive

POC is a SoCal org right? i think PRC is more active up here.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:26 AM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up Martin! You've removed any remaining doubts about tracking my car again. After 2 DEs at TH, it still hadn't quite sunk in that even loaded up with all the creature comforts, the 993 is built to be driven in competition.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:41 AM
touf
Pro

Martin: Sounds like lots of fun.

One question: What did jae do for you?
Old 09-05-2006, 01:55 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-05-2006, 09:51 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the debrief. Goods great.

Quick Reply: Every Porsche ever built is a race car.....