Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Every Porsche ever built is a race car.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Rick Sylvestri
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post Martin! Sounsds like a ton o fun.
Jae's a great guy, what did he do to the rear end?

You just helped make a decision about my car, keep it the way it is for a while and get more seat time. As my last DE some spec 944's were all over me. I just got my compition permit from PCA and plan on 4-5 AX's, 4-5 DE's/ TT's per year.
I'll stay with my Euro stock suspension, dot 60 tires and have fun!
Old 09-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Cool Thanks...

for the encouragement. Touf has asked what Jae Lee at Mirage International in San Diego has done for me...suspension tuning.

Jae corner balanced and aligned my car and did the rear bump steer, also known as kinematic toe adjustments.. The rear bump steer adjustments are a trial and error method...tweek this and that until it is perfect. I don't have a clue as to what Jae was doing. All I know is the results.

The car drives very well, never any worries as to what will happen as I drive around the track, corner after corner. I was a little concerned that the handling might be a bit different once I shifted to Hoosiers...the handling is better, and the car is nearly 4 seconds a lap quicker.

In conclusionb, Jae has done my car and those of two of my very picky Porsche pals. They too are 100% satisfied.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:53 PM
touf
Pro

Originally Posted by Rick Sylvestri
I just got my compition permit from PCA and plan on 4-5 AX's, 4-5 DE's/ TT's per year.
I'll stay with my Euro stock suspension, dot 60 tires and have fun!
Hi Rick, planning on coming to Pahrump. I myself have never been pn that track but I heard that the new layout will be very fun.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:47 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
In conclusionb, Jae has done my car and those of two of my very picky Porsche pals. They too are 100% satisfied.
Me too, Jae rules! Too bad no Jae in Boulder...
Old 09-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Martin

Congratulations. Glad you enjoyed it.

Now life will never be the same.

And forget about the slippery slope. It's now a cliff.

Originally Posted by Martin S.
....racing is really not that much different than a Time Trial or DE. The only difference is the start and the open passing.
:
I bet you find there are a few more differences than starts and pass anywhere.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:05 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Cool Mike in Chi.....

writes, "I bet you find there are a few more differences than starts and pass anywhere."

You are correct, but I don't want to put anyone over the slippery cliff! In my experience, it's the focus of the drivers. Everyone wants to win their class, and maybe get the overall win. In Porsche Owners Club, it is gentlemen's rules, one block per corner...also, when in doubt, give your fellow racer some "racing room."

And in racing, you are at the next level...you are up there with the Big Dogs...it feels great.

The biggest difference is the checkered flag; it means a lot more in a race, lots more than signaling the end of a DE session.

Not to disparage any form of track participation, DE or Club Racing...it is all good...and those that participate have lots more fun than folks that don't.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:15 AM
Rick Sylvestri
Racer

Touf,

I'll be there, hope to see you.

Rick
Old 09-06-2006, 07:59 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was fun reading! Martin I bet your face still hurts from smiling~ Chris
Old 09-06-2006, 08:17 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Cool The Grin...

Finishing you first race is one of life's definning Porsche car moments. It is an experience I won't forget. Fortunately I have the race on DVD, for reliving in the "Golden Years".

I still am amazed at the performance of a nearly stock 993 car, handling, brakes, acceleration..I am certain the LSA rear suspension helped out too..Laguna Seca has some very heavy braking at the end of the front straight.

Big Reds, high performance brake fluid, Pagid Black on front, Pagid Orange on the rear...that little car can stop as needed. Thanks for your support.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:22 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Martin,
I'm glad you have finally had the "REAL" racing experience.........nothing like screaming into turn one with 20-30 of your friends to keep you company.............LOL

And as far as Jae Lee & Mirage Intl., "HE DA MAN" when it comes to improving 993 suspensions and full blown track set ups........................No affil (except he also happens to be one of my clients and my suspension guy )

ZP44
Old 09-06-2006, 03:40 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Martin,

Great writup and Thank You. It is always nice to find others who do DE and club racing without having a track only car. I drive mine every day to and from work and then take it to the track. It is a little bit of a PIA, but right now that is what the wallet can afford and allow. I'm hoping that in a couple of years these things wil change.

My car is setup much like yours, but without some of the nice suspension components (monoballs...). The PSS9s are OK on the track, but not very good for racing. I know my driving could also be a lot better to be competitive, but it is the whole experience that is so much fun. I will continue to get to the track when possible and enjoy the car I have.

Enjoy,

-Skip

Quick Reply: Every Porsche ever built is a race car.....