When Bilstein Install goes Bad!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 08:48 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
When he installed the spring into the car with the new strut, the rear height was so low that the back of the car touched the ground. I am assuming that he had the perches adjusted up all the way.
Again, this would cause me to question his level of 993-specific competance. Since adjusting the rear height means unbolting a portion of the suspension, the trick is to get the height dialed in before the strut assembly goes back in the car. Jeff's instructions speak very clearly to this and include suggested measurements to get it right the first time.

I hope this works out for you - keep us informed.

Andreas
Old 08-31-2006, 08:50 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
PSS9s are a different flavor. Are you sure you need that setup?

Andreas
He quoted me a price that matches Gert and I don't have to pay shipping and he can get them Friday and go to work immediately. So my end price will be cheaper than Gert. Besides, the Bilsein HD price he quoted me was much higher than Gert or Shox.com.

They may be overkill, but that is better than something less than I want and then doing it over a second time (i.e., Eibach springs). That will cost more in the long run.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:52 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Again, this would cause me to question his level of 993-specific competance. Since adjusting the rear height means unbolting a portion of the suspension, the trick is to get the height dialed in before the strut assembly goes back in the car. Jeff's instructions speak very clearly to this and include suggested measurements to get it right the first time.

I hope this works out for you - keep us informed.

Andreas
Will do. Unfortunately, I am between a rock and a hard place. Rick is the best Dayton, Ohio has and I have no time to take the car anywhere else. So I am committed to work this through with him.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:53 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NEVER ASSUME that any shop regardless of the race cars parked at the front door can think on their own. MANY of spiffy nationally known shops and worldwide Porsche tuners I have had to walk through an install (most Porsche dealers are a given). Sad but true. Have them give me a call and I can probably save you a few $$s (unless you really want to go to the PSS9s)...

Oh and your part numbers are not even close to correct. The front will be like a VE3-B648(or649) and the rears will be more like BE5-6130 (or could be 6131 if older stock).

Last edited by viperbob; 08-31-2006 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:04 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by viperbob
NEVER ASSUME that any shop regardless of the race cars parked at the front door can think on their own. MANY of spiffy nationally known shops and worldwide Porsche tuners I have had to walk through an install (most Porsche dealers is a given). Sad but true. Have them give me a call and I can probably save you a few $$s (unless you really want to go to the PSS9s)...

Oh and your part numbers are not even close to correct. The front will be like a VE3-B648(or649) and the rears will be more like BE5-6130 (or could be 6131 if older stock).
Ha! maybe he got the wrong shock!

Glad to see you are back!!! People really start talking when you disappear!
Old 08-31-2006, 09:10 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
Well, I am not at the shop that did the install, but he claims that when he pulled the stock US spring out of my car and sat it next to my new RoW M030 spring, the M030 spring was between 2 to 3 inches shorter.
Is anyone able to address this, when they compaired their original springs to the ROW M030 springs were they 2 - 3 in. shorter?

I haven't done this yet though I plan to shortly but I would expect 1 - 1.5 in. shorter but not 2 - 3 in., but I don't think that should cause the car to sit on the ground.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:12 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

If you are only changing the suspension for looks and it isn't shot. Then I would go the route of putting the car back to it's original setup. Pay him for his time. Return the product, even if restock fee.
Drive car to new destination.
Then get the equipment to have it done. Don't do it out of frustration, and lack of time.
Just my .02.

Either way - safe trip !......
Old 08-31-2006, 09:17 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarmG993
If you are only changing the suspension for looks and it isn't shot. Then I would go the route of putting the car back to it's original setup. Pay him for his time. Return the product, even if restock fee.
Drive car to new destination.
Then get the equipment to have it done. Don't do it out of frustration, and lack of time.
Just my .02.

Either way - safe trip !......
I am doing it because I want a better suspension for the car and I want it to drive well for the trip to Florida. The shocks I have now (original OEM) are pretty bad and tend to bounce a lot and they are degenerating quickly. So I am cleaning house with the car and getting all the issues ironed out now so that I don't end up with down time later.

That, and i want a better performance car than what I have, but don't want to get out of the 993. I really like the car and want to get the most out of it.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:19 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by motonut
Is anyone able to address this, when they compaired their original springs to the ROW M030 springs were they 2 - 3 in. shorter?

I haven't done this yet though I plan to shortly but I would expect 1 - 1.5 in. shorter but not 2 - 3 in., but I don't think that should cause the car to sit on the ground.
The springs are much shorter, but the ride height is not.....Look at all the shots of the cars that have done this and you will see that you are able to get a nice looking more European and non-slammed look out of your car
Old 08-31-2006, 09:25 PM
Bill (NC)
Racer

My guy ran into the same thing when putting my HD's on with what he called Euro springs in the back. We ordered a set of H&R's and they worked great, ride is great and just as low as before. Bout $330 from PP.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:48 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by viperbob
The springs are much shorter, but the ride height is not

You definitely need to have your mechanic call V-Bob. This is a fairly technical install on the rear. If the shock collars are not preset correctly the car will be too low. If the shocks are wrong, or the drop link turned the wrong way, even more bad things can happen. Bilstein sometimes packages the shocks in mislabeled boxes. Also he will need to use different drop links, at least with the M030 bars. It will take five minutes for the mech to check the part numbers and pre-install height. The PSS-9 is a more aggresive setup that you probably won't use unless you track the car. Nine out of ten Rennlisters say: Call Viper Bob.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:54 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts
You definitely need to have your mechanic call V-Bob. This is a fairly technical install on the rear. If the shock collars are not preset correctly the car will be too low. If the shocks are wrong, or the drop link turned the wrong way, even more bad things can happen. Bilstein sometimes packages the shocks in mislabeled boxes. Also he will need to use different drop links, at least with the M030 bars. It will take five minutes for the mech to check the part numbers and pre-install height. The PSS-9 is a more aggresive setup that you probably won't use unless you track the car. Nine out of ten Rennlisters say: Call Viper Bob.
I would be happy to have Rick call Bob, but I am sure that Bob has enough to do as it is. So, I am hoping that Rick can just get this done once and for all.

Tracking the car is something I really would like to do, but I have had issues with the car (suspension included) that needed to be addressed. Now all those issues are addressed and the suspension is next.

As I stated earlier, I am leaving for Florida and the car needs to be fixed before I go. At this point we are floundering, so I am willing to throw some money at the problem if that is what it takes knowing the PSS9s are a good product.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:18 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's clear you have your mind set on getting it done before you go, but consider that if you get down to Florida and have an issue w/ the install you will just have to pay someone new to fix it, since you couldn't go back to the installer to take care of it. That said, I did a similar thing just before I moved out to Boulder, though I had utmost trust in the guy that did my work.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:22 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Before you start tossing $$$'s around. I had the exact same issue with my car/installer. He is a world renowned Porsche race car tech, won 24 hours le mans, yada, yada, yada. However, he had only worked on one 993 before with nearly all his experience is with 996 based vehicles. My installer bolted the MO30 springs up and called me in a panic that the springs were like 2 inches too short. I pinged this board and of course got the answer that this is totally normal. So if your installer hasn't actually set the perches correct and installed back in the car then he is speculating that the car will sit on the ground if he puts these "too short" springs in. The actually are not too short and ride is perfect.

See my panic here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/240696-need-help-decision-on-springs.html

If he has actually installed them with the perches set properly then disregard, but be sure of that first.

My $.02
Old 08-31-2006, 10:28 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Jeff's write-up with photos...https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/258810-diy-suspension-install-for-dummies.html

There's is a very good photo of the rear spring...which looks short by itself..once mounted on the collars it will be fine...
Also linked in my signature. Thanks for posting the link, Trinitony.

Marv, have your guy contact Bob. If he is offering it up, take advantage of it. He really knows what he is talking about when it comes to these suspension installs.

Quick Reply: When Bilstein Install goes Bad!