Sponsored by:

Need HELP/Decision on springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 10:30 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need HELP/Decision on springs

I've looked through the archives and couldn't find anything on this so I thought I'd ask.

Last year I put Gert's Bilstein HD's on my car as the vehicle already had Eibach springs and the shocks were toast. I always had a felling something wasn't quite right and recently decided to get the ROW MO30 springs to get rid of the sagging Eibachs.

I ordered the springs from Sunset Porsche and have the right part numbers. However, my installer is telling me that the springs are too short (like 2" too short). These new springs are so short that he says there is no way to dial down the shock hats to make it so there isn't play between the springs and the mounting.

Has anybody else run into this? Are there other parts to buy to make these work? I am really confused and at a loss as I thought this was a bolt in item.

Help please!!!
Old 11-29-2005, 10:38 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

whats the free length of the new springs? Do the shocks have adjustable lower spring perches?
Old 11-29-2005, 10:42 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's normal... read Dan 96C2 St. Louis section in the suspension FAQ.

http://p-car.com/susfaq.html
Old 11-29-2005, 10:53 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

WOW Kelly what a nice fast response. Thanks for the link. I am priniting now and will take to the installer in the AM. This particular guy is very **** as described on the website and I appreciate his cautiousness.

Thanks again Kelly and my friends at Rennlist
Old 11-29-2005, 10:54 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yet another shop that has no idea how to install these items (or is able to look for any resource from another shop or the internet) on a 993. He may be ****, but also not experienced with these cars.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:56 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great link kelly... never read this one b4.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:06 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

ViperBob,

I always appreciate your comments except this time.

This installer has prepared more Le mans and MANY other race cars than many others. He simply hadn't seen this setup and is used to putting in the full coil over type suspension and didn't want to waste my money which I appreciate.

See his website for the non believers

http://www.premiersportscarservice.com/
Old 11-29-2005, 11:39 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, that is a great link and ran across it when I was researching suspension options back in the day. Dan has always been a great source for accurate, informative and easy to understand posts.

I agree w/ Bob, though... the installer just hasn't a clue on these cars, but hopefully with the instructions you provide he will do a great install on your car. Let us know how it turns out as these cars are very particular with regard to suspension and alignment setup.

If done right, you will love the new suspension.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:53 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slant911
ViperBob,

I always appreciate your comments except this time.

This installer has prepared more Le mans and MANY other race cars than many others. He simply hadn't seen this setup and is used to putting in the full coil over type suspension and didn't want to waste my money which I appreciate.

See his website for the non believers

http://www.premiersportscarservice.com/
John - I would not jump on Bob or Kim too quickly on this. They are questioning your shop's familiarity with 993s and in particular this set-up (ie non-coilover), not insulting their overall capabilities. While they have great experience in prepping race cars they may be less experienced in street applicaitons than other shops.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:32 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 701 Likes on 419 Posts

I've been investigating the possiblility of lowering with one of Gert's combos (HD's with either H&R or RoW M030 springs-haven't decided) , but can't get my head around how/why there is the gap that John brings up. Suspect that Porsche RoW M030 spring/shock combo wasn't designed that way and it's counter-intuitive to have so much "slop". Hate to spend almost $3K, then find out it's not what I had in mind- anyone that could shed some light or comment on this?

Thanks! -Jim
Old 11-30-2005, 10:19 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I installed my Bilstein HD/ ROW 030s, I followed the suggestion to use a wire tie to hold the spring in place with the shock hats. Worked well for me.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:40 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 701 Likes on 419 Posts

Thanks, Dave. It probably does work OK as a number of folks seem to have done it. Guess my question is more directed at this being a "proper" design/fit or is it leaning a bit toward "jury-rig"? Is there any down-side to the short spring? There is no hurry to do the project, so whatever I end up doing, I want to be sure that it's right.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:54 AM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "short spring" is no problem. Once the car is on the ground and has weight on it all is good.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:59 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Craig is right on. I have had the setup for the last 5000 miles and one Autocross and I am very satisfied with the result. (although lowering to ROW "Euro-Sport" height is just a bit low for convenient servicing- IMHO)
Old 11-30-2005, 06:39 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't recall whether it's covered in the suspension faq, but make sure they install the springs the right side up (my old shop had them upside down ). I'm sorry that I don't recall which side is the right side but I do know it's in a post somewhere in this forum. Lots of help right? Maybe someone can chime in w/ the proper info.

I would have looked that up but I am on a very slow connection since I have just moved. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Need HELP/Decision on springs