When Bilstein Install goes Bad!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 06:37 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 565 Posts
Default When Bilstein Install goes Bad!

I am mad as hell.

My installer ripped my car apart and tried to install Bilstein HD with a set of RoW M030 springs and the rear springs appear to be way too short (thy have brown stripe painted on them and it looks like the right part). The car's rear end literally sits on the ground.

So, we have to make a choice and he orders new Eibach springs, which I am learning are not very good springs.

What a bastardization of my car!

I don't know if my installer is having the problem or I have a set of rear springs that are not correct.

The rear shocks appear to be the right number (VE3B648H), so it must be my springs.

Did I mention that I am mad?
Old 08-31-2006, 06:43 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
I am mad as hell.

My installer ripped my car apart and tried to install Bilstein HD with a set of RoW M030 springs and the rear springs appear to be way too short (thy have brown stripe painted on them and it looks like the right part). The car's rear end literally sits on the ground.

So, we have to make a choice and he orders new Eibach springs, which I am learning are not very good springs.

What a bastardization of my car!

I don't know if my installer is having the problem or I have a set of rear springs that are not correct.

The rear shocks appear to be the right number (VE3B648H), so it must be my springs.

Did I mention that I am mad?
I installed that same setup a couple months ago and had zero problems....can you measure the lenght of the rear springs and compare it to someone else spring...did you look at Jeff's wirte-up
Old 08-31-2006, 06:51 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

I don't know where his write up is.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:53 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Marv..wats u email add'..let me forward you a doc..
Old 08-31-2006, 06:56 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Jeff's write-up with photos...https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/258810-diy-suspension-install-for-dummies.html

There's is a very good photo of the rear spring...which looks short by itself..once mounted on the collars it will be fine...
Old 08-31-2006, 06:58 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Marv, can you post a pic, even camera-phone, of how low your car is sitting now? Pic of the HDs installed with the springs (ie. in the car) would be useful too. Many here swear by HD/ROW M030, something must be up.

Incidentally, I thought the Eibachs actually sit lower than M030??
Old 08-31-2006, 07:14 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

I talked to my wife and explained everything I know. She said to pay any restocking fees and get something that works and is low risk.

I told my installer to get me a set of PSS9s and be done with it. My hope is that since they already come with the springs and struts that it would make his install life easier and more important, get my car together in time for my departure next week!
Old 08-31-2006, 07:14 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rear springs not touching both the top and bottom collars for the backs is normal before you put them under weight...then they seat on their own and all is good.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:26 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slider
rear springs not touching both the top and bottom collars for the backs is normal before you put them under weight...then they seat on their own and all is good.
Well, I am not at the shop that did the install, but he claims that when he pulled the stock US spring out of my car and sat it next to my new RoW M030 spring, the M030 spring was between 2 to 3 inches shorter.

When he installed the spring into the car with the new strut, the rear height was so low that the back of the car touched the ground. I am assuming that he had the perches adjusted up all the way.

I don't know if he got the wrong strut (he ordered them) or I have a set of wrong springs or he is installing them wrong.

However, we are out of time and I can't wait any longer for this to be resolved since I am moving next week to Florida and I am driving my car, which will be my only ride in Florida. The safest route is to just get a set of PSS9s, which he can get locally at a price equal to Gert.

My hope is that he will be able to install the PSS9s without any issues.

Then again, we are smoking a lot of hope lately!
Old 08-31-2006, 07:31 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something must be wrong because my ride height didn't change much at all between M030 and eibachs. The collars are adjustable in the rear. Does your installer know that?
Old 08-31-2006, 08:11 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck, though sounds like the installer doesn't know what he's doing. PSS9's still will need to be adjusted for ride height.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:13 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TroyN
Good luck, though sounds like the installer doesn't know what he's doing. PSS9's still will need to be adjusted for ride height.
My thought exactly... I know you're tight on time but you don't want to have to redo this job.... Good Luck.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:29 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Well, I am not at the shop that did the install, but he claims that when he pulled the stock US spring out of my car and sat it next to my new RoW M030 spring, the M030 spring was between 2 to 3 inches shorter.

When he installed the spring into the car with the new strut, the rear height was so low that the back of the car touched the ground. I am assuming that he had the perches adjusted up all the way.

I don't know if he got the wrong strut (he ordered them) or I have a set of wrong springs or he is installing them wrong.

However, we are out of time and I can't wait any longer for this to be resolved since I am moving next week to Florida and I am driving my car, which will be my only ride in Florida. The safest route is to just get a set of PSS9s, which he can get locally at a price equal to Gert.

My hope is that he will be able to install the PSS9s without any issues.

Then again, we are smoking a lot of hope lately!
Listen..if he is having problems with this..no way I would let him do PSS9. Before doing my suspension I had no idea how to jack the car up or anything..following Jeff's (ur da man) directions together with vpbob directions I was able to do it. I'm no mechanic...all I'm saying is that you might want to re-think things...
Old 08-31-2006, 08:43 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

I second Tony's thoughts. By your description, it really does not sound as if your installer is qualified to do this install. Has he worked on 993 suspensions before?

While replacing the shocks and springs on these cars is not rocket science, I would not rush a job like this, or advocate that an installer rush it either. I did the work myself and spread it out over two days. I wanted to make sure that everything went in correctly, that I torqued fasteners as they should be, and that I delivered the car to the shop correctly set up for its final alignment and height adjustment (which took 4 hours). I installed the Bilstein HD shocks and ROW M030 coils from Gert. The install went smoothly, and the resulting ride (~ Sport height) is worlds better than my original 40,000-mile suspension.

PSS9s are a different flavor. Are you sure you need that setup?

Andreas
Old 08-31-2006, 08:44 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Air Kuul TT
My thought exactly... I know you're tight on time but you don't want to have to redo this job.... Good Luck.
I won't know what went wrong until I get my M030 springs back. I will measure the free unsprung length and post it to the group. Maybe someone can do the same or has the measurement of the free length to compare.

This guy works on race cars, including a 904. He also races. Technically, he should have the skill and knowledge, but he may not have a lot of 993 experience.

Another issue is I supplied the springs and he supplied the Bilsteins. That can be frustrating for him because he can't always control what the customer brings. He is right that it is always better to order things as a complete kit from one source. To that end I will let him order the PSS9s and any thing else he needs. If something goes wrong, then I am not part of that problem.

Quick Reply: When Bilstein Install goes Bad!