Sponsored by:

993 clutch install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 01:37 AM
Mid Atlantic Motorwerkes
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 clutch install?

hey, just wondering if you need to pull motor during clutch install on '96 C4S? the book says you have to, however we have not done one and i would like to know if anyone has any specifics on the matter and how long it takes to do one? thanks...
Old 08-23-2006, 01:44 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Will this clutch work be on a lift (real lift) or a garage floor special?
Old 08-23-2006, 01:51 AM
Mid Atlantic Motorwerkes
4th Gear

yes, real shop lift...
Old 08-23-2006, 01:55 AM
omilu
Instructor

I think you can drop the trans
Old 08-23-2006, 02:00 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Maybe before you work on a C4S you should know this? ;-) Sorry don't need to be harsh but I would not want someone working on my car (other than myself) who is doing a major mechanical job for the first time......

The procedure is in the shop manual.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:05 AM
Mid Atlantic Motorwerkes
4th Gear

point well taken Mike, however my tech works on my Grand Am Cup team, highly talented, but just not on this car which is my street toy that i'm building up... the reason i ask is that he's well trained w/ a wrench in hand but had some question when the AllData program i have at my shop said to drop motor as well during install and it just doesn't seem like it has to be dropped? that is why i'm asking "before" it gets underway.. haha... thanks for all your guys input. Greg
Old 08-23-2006, 02:14 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

If there is other maintenance that you may be due for, or near due for, might be best to drop the whole shebang. Plugs, P/S belt, engine sound pad etc. are all very easy to get to with the lump out of the way. Plus dropping the engine forces you to change the P/S fluid, or at least a lot of it -- scratch that, this is hydroboost for the 4S and TT IIRC.

Also keep in mind reinstalling the trans (with engine in the car) can be tricky in getting the T/O fork cross shaft installed correctly.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:19 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Also keep in mind reinstalling the trans (with engine in the car) can be tricky in getting the T/O fork cross shaft installed correctly.
If you knock one of those needle bearings out of place while performing the above you're in trouble.
It could also be tricky to get the shaft out in the first place and with the engine still in the car you'll have almost no room to pull. Mine took quite a tugging before it finally came out. Use at least a 40mm bolt.

c
Old 08-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my mechanic pulled & re-installed the tranny w/o removing the engine and said it was no big deal. However, he has done it hundreds (?) of times and I have a C2.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:44 PM
bb944
Intermediate

Yeah, try not to knock out the needle gizmos when lining up the fork cross shaft or you might bend up your peter valve.......mmm-k.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:26 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 579 Posts

I did my 1990 C4 (964) and it was the first time working on it. We dropped the engine in 4 hours using two hydraulic jacks and two wooden pallets with casters for the engine and transmission.

I would expect a real lift with proper tools will take less time. When I had my engine down I was not able to drive out the clutch fork tube!

I had to drill out the clutch cheese bolts through the starter opening and then pull the transmission off. We used a Dremel to cut off the fork after dismantling the clutch piece by piece.

When I had it down I replaced plugs and wires and one of the hard to get at temp sensors. It really pays to drop the engine and do it all at once.

Quick Reply: 993 clutch install?