Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Paint Came Up with Clear Bra Removal - Damn!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 392 Posts
Default New Paint Came Up with Clear Bra Removal - Damn!

I just put on a new euro turbo front bumper. When I had it painted I later went ahead and told the body guy to repaint the hood as there were some chips on it and I wanted everything to be perfect when I had the clear bra installed.

The way the timing of things worked out, the bumper was done quickly and then cured over a month by sitting outside while the hood was done when I brought the car in to have he bumper installed. When I told the body guy I would be putting a clear bra on and I was concerned about the hood, he said he put heat lamps on it and that metal cured much faster than the plastic bumper.

I had the clear bra installed within a day or two of picking it up from the body shop. When I got it back, the 3M clear bra on the hood was marked. Marked up in that it looked like someone had scratched it with their fingernails or the squeegee he used to apply it. The clear bra guy said the 3M film was flawed and 3M would pay to have it replaced. However, he said if the car was out in the sun a lot over the next month or so, the scatches may smooth out. After a month there was no improvement so I took it back to have the hood’s clear bra replaced.

And you can guess what happened - the paint on the hood lifted with the removal of the clear bra. I called the body shop guy and he tempered his original commitment that the paint would hold, but said to bring it back. He thought the hood would now have to be stripped to the metal to ensure adhesion. He and I are in for a battle – I see it coming.

I made two mistakes: 1) I should have let the hood cure despite what the body guy said; and 2) if I didn’t do #1 I should not have replaced the hood’s clear bra and just lived with the scratches – they were only noticeable if you saw them at the right angle/light.

Damn!
Old 08-15-2006, 04:54 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pegasis0066
I just put on a new euro turbo front bumper. When I had it painted I later went ahead and told the body guy to repaint the hood as there were some chips on it and I wanted everything to be perfect when I had the clear bra installed.

The way the timing of things worked out, the bumper was done quickly and then cured over a month by sitting outside while the hood was done when I brought the car in to have he bumper installed. When I told the body guy I would be putting a clear bra on and I was concerned about the hood, he said he put heat lamps on it and that metal cured much faster than the plastic bumper.

I had the clear bra installed within a day or two of picking it up from the body shop. When I got it back, the 3M clear bra on the hood was marked. Marked up in that it looked like someone had scratched it with their fingernails or the squeegee he used to apply it. The clear bra guy said the 3M film was flawed and 3M would pay to have it replaced. However, he said if the car was out in the sun a lot over the next month or so, the scatches may smooth out. After a month there was no improvement so I took it back to have the hood’s clear bra replaced.

And you can guess what happened - the paint on the hood lifted with the removal of the clear bra. I called the body shop guy and he tempered his original commitment that the paint would hold, but said to bring it back. He thought the hood would now have to be stripped to the metal to ensure adhesion. He and I are in for a battle – I see it coming.

I made two mistakes: 1) I should have let the hood cure despite what the body guy said; and 2) if I didn’t do #1 I should not have replaced the hood’s clear bra and just lived with the scratches – they were only noticeable if you saw them at the right angle/light.

Damn!
Aw geez man, I feel for you. It's another case of 'no good deed goes unpunished'. Look, I know you're but what's done is done. How you 'repair' the situation (metaphorically speaking) is entirely up to you ...just try NOT to get TOTALLY bent out of shape about it or cause you to vent your frustration in the direction of your spouse, sig. other etc.

G.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:26 PM
pro-tect mobile
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Waiting 30 days is a rule of thumb for most experienced installers. I woud never apply film on a car sooner than that unless the body shop wanted to put their product in writing. One other thing to note is 3M has a very agressive adhesive so its a little stronger than other films. I am sure that had a little to do with it. Also in the future is you get scratches in the 3M film, I have heard from numerous installers that isopropyl alchohol works wonders on it. I do not install 3M for many reasons but maybe that will help save you some heart ache in case it happens again.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:36 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Old 07-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

If you waited any longer to respond I might have been dead!
Old 07-06-2011, 05:11 PM
ender928
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So how did it work out?
Old 07-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

I can't remember!
Old 07-06-2011, 05:47 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

This thread has the ability to go Platinum.

Andreas
Old 07-06-2011, 06:18 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
This thread has the ability to go Platinum.

Andreas
I concur.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:34 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I wonder if it's safe to apply it now?
Old 07-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

The subject car.....
Attached Images    
Old 07-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 147 Posts

Hmmmm........
Old 07-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Spidey 993

O yes, I can see the scratches so clearly now
Old 07-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Leon993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A fellow 993 owner gave me some sage advice when it comes to clear bra:

"Rock chips are visible with or without clear bra. Forget clear bra, just repaint your bumper and hood for close to the same price whenever you need to."
Old 07-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^^+993 clear bras are worthless. Hate them. Ready for flames.

Mike

Quick Reply: New Paint Came Up with Clear Bra Removal - Damn!