Sumitomo HTRZII - A Quick Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 03:38 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sumitomo HTRZII - A Quick Review

Two days ago, I mounted some almost new Sumitomo HTRZII tires on my 993 (285x225x18). They're 220 treadwear, so they're right in the ballpark for the mainstream tires we're all used to (Pilot Sports, Pzeros, Potenzas, etc)

Observation - these tires are narrow. As in, 265s in any other brand seem to fill out the 10 inch rears better than these "285s." They say it's because of the "rounded edges" but if you actually look at the tread, the overall tire width is very narrow.

First Impressions - A very soft tire. They must manufacture the sidwalls out of used rubber bands? I can't believe how soft it is, it feels like I have 15 inch wheels with high profile tires! Yes, I'm running good air pressure (40psi rear, 36 front). It's a combination of tread-squirm (new tires) and a soft sidewall. Not much road feel, very little communication.

Grip - decent overall grip, not as grippy as Pilot Sports or Bridgestones, about on par with Contisport Contact 2's (which, incidentally, have a 280 treadwear rating). But if feels very strange as you approach the limits.

Rain - great in rain, my first experience with these tires was in a constant Florida downpour, and if you look at the tread pattern it's no surprise they're good at dispersing water.

Overall, I would not recommend these tires. They sap the feel out of the steering and make the car feel like... a 996.

That said, does anyone want some almost new Sumitomo's?
Old 08-15-2006, 03:44 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Make sure you post your experiences to tire rack. This would be a good review. Thanks for the input I was looking at these tires and wondered....
Old 08-15-2006, 03:55 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would agree, but for flat driving around the beach they're great. I have the same tires and love them for around town. They SUCK for track tires and are a bit weak for really hard driving (but thats what track rims/tires) are for.
It also depends on whether or not you're using the 30 series rear or 35/40? series rear, those are really bad for feel. 30 is the only way to go. And too, for half the price of the Cups or real performance tires they're a deal.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:22 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 993inNC
I would agree, but for flat driving around the beach they're great. I have the same tires and love them for around town. They SUCK for track tires and are a bit weak for really hard driving (but thats what track rims/tires) are for.
It also depends on whether or not you're using the 30 series rear or 35/40? series rear, those are really bad for feel. 30 is the only way to go. And too, for half the price of the Cups or real performance tires they're a deal.
They're 285/30s rear. And I would not consider them a bargain for this very simple fact: The car is no longer fun to drive These are good tires if you want to pile up daily driver commuting miles, that's about it.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:22 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

These came on the car I bought on April and they really feel vague and definitely unpredictable at limit. Was instructing for the corvette club a few weekends ago and had an occasion to take them on the track. They started off okay, but they went really greasy after 3 laps (granted it was 95 degrees out). Driving around town they are just fine and agree that they are nice in the rain. I am looking forward to wearing them out ;-)
Old 08-15-2006, 05:46 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Were'nt you looking to put PSS9's on the car? With Florida roads, if you do get the 9's, you appriciate the ride those tires give
Old 08-15-2006, 06:07 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just got some yoko advan neova ad07s and will be mounting them soon. we'll see how they work out....

I didn't particularly like the S03s I had. I figured I'd try something different...
Old 08-15-2006, 06:15 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I was forced to use these tires after I had a flat tire during a road trip far away from home (they were the only tires of the correct size available at the only tire store that was open at the time). I turned out to be pleasantly surprised with them. I agree with the comments above -- they're comparatively narrow, they provide a relatively supple ride and they're great in the rain. I haven't noticed the squirminess, but then again I don't push the car very hard in corners.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:28 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If anybody wants them, I just paid $390 including shipping a few days ago. I'll let them go for $300 including shipping, they're about 95% tread left. I guess they're not bad if you don't push the car like I do on the street (i.e. irresponsibly ), I'm about as sensitive and picky with tires as you can get. PM me if interested.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:56 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not that they'll get much better, but in just two days you probably haven't worn off the outer greasy layer that all tires have so they pop out of the tire mold.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:10 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Originally Posted by TroyN
Not that they'll get much better, but in just two days you probably haven't worn off the outer greasy layer that all tires have so they pop out of the tire mold.
No they do suck if they're pushed, thats not what they're for.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:05 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I just took a 20 mile roundtrip to the gym, with a few nice onramps in between. and I wasn't imagining things. These tires have pretty decent overall grip (probably closer to Pilot Sports than I originally stated), but... they're very vague. I would not ever take these to the track, they unpredictable enough on the street!

I guess if you drive a european sportscar, get european tires. These jap shoes don't quite measure up!
Old 08-16-2006, 12:09 AM
LeMarquis
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

390 for a full set of tyres? One Michelin PS costs that much...

That's like putting a pair of Chuck Taylors on Carl Lewis...

As they say in F1, 5% engine boost will cut your laps by 1/4 of a second. 5% better tyre handling will cut off a second and a half.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:46 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LeMarquis
390 for a full set of tyres? One Michelin PS costs that much...

That's like putting a pair of Chuck Taylors on Carl Lewis...

As they say in F1, 5% engine boost will cut your laps by 1/4 of a second. 5% better tyre handling will cut off a second and a half.
They were a couple weeks old, not quite brand new but about as close as it gets. And I agree completely with the F1 adage, it's spot on. I figured I'd try something different. And now I've learned my lesson I will say again, they're great in the rain, they're a good tire for driving cross-country I suppose
Old 08-16-2006, 12:52 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You couldn't give me Sumitomos or Dunslops. I thought they were good tires but had a set on my Alfa Romeo and my various sportbikes and vowed never to buy them.

My brother had them on his C5 Vette and they were equally awful.

Quick Reply: Sumitomo HTRZII - A Quick Review