Sponsored by:

Repair or Replace bumper cover?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:38 PM
mcholar911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair or Replace bumper cover?

I could use some advise from the experts in body work...While staying in our hotel in Denver, someone backed-at an angle-into the edge of my front bumper. It left a deep scrape, thru the paint into the plastic about 1" wide x 5" long.The scrape is approx. 1/32nd deep at the deepest point.

They also appear to have slightly creased the plastic. I do not have my camera to post a photo but generally can the bumper be filled and repaired? It has a fair amount of paint chips anyway, so it could use a respray anyway.
Can the plastic be heated to allow the crease to be straightened?
I know the hotel won't do any thing, and I hate to turn something like this into my insurance company..
Appreciate the input..
Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 392 Posts

Sorry, I deleted the post as I didn't think it was responsive to your question.

In any event, it is OEM from Gert.

If you can get your insurance company to chip in, it may be worthwhile. But then again, any claim will cost you for years to come.

Again, good luck.

Rob
Old 08-08-2006, 09:09 PM
mborkow
Drifting

But then again, any claim will cost you for years to come.
why? it doesn't sounds like he was at fault, or even in the car at the time. i had a similar experience with no rate-up from the insurance company (got a whole new bumper cover).
Old 08-08-2006, 09:15 PM
mcholar911
Intermediate

Rob,
I thought I accidently deleted your post somehow, your car looks sweet! I can call Progressive and see what they say..Would they need a police report?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,105 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Definately call your insurance co. It shouldn't affect your premiums and you'll get the benefit of having the whole front end resprayed because they'll have to blend the hood and the fenders. Any and all chips on the front end will be gone. My .02c.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Why wouldn't this affect premiums, unless it could be covered under comprehensive? Maybe I don't understand insurance as well as I thought.

The bumper can be repaired. It's no big deal. Don't bother getting a new bumper cover unless you can find a cheap one in the classifieds.

I have liability-only on my street/track car. If I have an accident on the track, either at a DE or a race, I'm not going to have my insurance company cover the damage because they (Geico) won't cover the damage. As a result, my premium is only $460/year for the 993. I would pay for this type of damage on my own dime, unless I saw the person who did it.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 08-09-2006 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:54 PM
901aero
Burning Brakes

Bumper can be repair. As far as effecting premiums, who knows. I tend to agree with Mark in Baltimore. They may not say so now but..... I would first check your deductable. Sometimes that's as far as you want to go. If the deductable is grand or even fifteen hundred I'd just repair it myself on my own tab and count the savings in premiums or the very least the hassle of the report, the adjuster, the whole dance.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:54 AM
mcholar911
Intermediate

Thanks, I appreciate the info. My deduct is 500 on comprehensive, I'm not sure how much the repair will cost, I may be able to get it fixed for somewhere in that range. Can anyone recommend any good shops in the Denver area for an estimate?
Mike
Old 08-09-2006, 01:07 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 56 Posts

Mike,

While this wouldn't be considered a "chargeable accident" by the insurer, it will count as a "claim" if filed. Higher than average claim frequency can affect premiums/insurability, even on minor stuff like glass or towing claims.

Unless the damage is substantially more than the deductible, I'd recommend taking care of it yourself. Save insurance for the big stuff.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:15 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep my deductibles at $250 purely for those reasons. My insurance rates are pretty go. I recently dropped my deductible to $250 because rocks tend to love my windshields.

If it were me and my insurance rates didnt go up, I would have it replaced. I've had car insurance since the age of 14 and NEVER filed a claim but at about the time I do, the insurance company will stick me. Thats 23 years of driving with no incidents or accidents. Knock on wood.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:33 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

I guess it works differently in the US...In Canada, this would be viewed as a hit-and-run or collision without fault (depending on whether the car was parked or if you were in it at the time of the accident) and would be covered under comprehensive with no consequence to rates...just pay your deductible and get it fixed.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:19 AM
901aero
Burning Brakes

I own a shop and I can tell you IMO with a $500 deductable I would file the claim. It's going to be much more than that to repair or replace (adjuster will probably decide that-- but everything's negotiable!) then toss in any blending- and there should be some but without seeing the car, proximity of damage to hood or fender or even knowing the color, the amount of PIA is still an unknown- your total could easily go over $1500.00. But before you panic I would strongly reccommend taking the car around to shops in YOUR area you think would do a good job for you, that you trust, BEFORE contacting the insurance company so you will have some knowlege base to work with as to cost, preferred method of repair by the shops you visited, etc. Good Luck, do your homework and this can have a happy ending.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:28 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In CA this would not go against you or have adverse effects on your rate. Get it replaced and go for the TT front bumper, same price - great cosmetic mod.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:58 PM
mcholar911
Intermediate

Great advice, I appreciate the input. I've never had an accident, or any type of accident claim, so I think I'll make the claim, then get some estimates so I know the $$$ we'll be talking about. The car was parked, right next to a parked trailer and my truck on the other side (I thougt a door ding was the worst thing that could happen). I have Progressive, and the rates have been very reasonable, hope that doesnt change. I'd love to go to the turbo bumper...if I can..
Mike
Old 08-10-2006, 10:59 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Now you have me wishing someone damaged my bumper so I can get the euro TT bumper...

Originally Posted by fbfisher
In CA this would not go against you or have adverse effects on your rate. Get it replaced and go for the TT front bumper, same price - great cosmetic mod.

Quick Reply: Repair or Replace bumper cover?