Sponsored by:

CAB Top Problem -- Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 09:58 PM
rsl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAB Top Problem -- Need Help

I went to open my CAB top and the RIGHT LOCKING motor would not release the latch. I think the gears on the locking motor are trashed. I bed it was the ECU cold solder joints. The motor just spins.

Since the gears appear to be trashed, turning the screw on the motor is useless! How do I get the top to release if the gears in the motor are trashed, since turing the screw only turns the shaft of the motor????

Robert
Old 08-06-2006, 11:03 PM
chaguar
Instructor

I belive there was a recall on the latches ,Ask your dealer
Old 08-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Ryan360
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rsl
I went to open my CAB top and the RIGHT LOCKING motor would not release the latch. I think the gears on the locking motor are trashed. I bed it was the ECU cold solder joints. The motor just spins.

Since the gears appear to be trashed, turning the screw on the motor is useless! How do I get the top to release if the gears in the motor are trashed, since turing the screw only turns the shaft of the motor????

Robert
Hi Robert,

I know this is an old post but I have the same problem with my LH top latch motor still partially engaged while the top is up. Like you I tried to turn the wheel endlessly but the lock pin won't disengaged completely. Were you able to remove the latch? How did you remove it? I recently posted this and found another guy with the same issue as your did. It's so frustrating. Pls help!

Thanks for any info.
Ryan (Bay Area, Ca)
1990 C4
Old 08-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Sean Hamilton
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ryan360
...........the lock pin won't disengaged completely. Were you able to remove the latch? How did you remove it?...........
G'day Ryan
try the following links. If you have further questions might be worth a try posting via 95cab's (Brian) thread to get a "been there, done that" response.

1. diy-cab-top-front-latch-motor-replace

2. vertexauto-Convertible-Top-Latch-Motor-Gear

3. 993-cab-top-latch-motor.html

Last edited by Sean Hamilton; 08-16-2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: 3rd link added
Old 08-16-2010, 11:37 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Ryan-

Try removing the front cover over the motors and undoing the faulty motor. If I remember correctly, you should be able to pull it out toward the back of the car, which gets the cam out of the lock in the windscreen.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Ryan360
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sean Hamilton
G'day Ryan
try the following links. If you have further questions might be worth a try posting via 95cab's (Brian) thread to get a "been there, done that" response.

1. diy-cab-top-front-latch-motor-replace

2. vertexauto-Convertible-Top-Latch-Motor-Gear

3. 993-cab-top-latch-motor.html
Thanks Sean; I did contact 95Cab and gone thru each link you posted. in the case of 95Cab' it was easy since his top was down and motor was exposed. Mine is still partially locked with the top up position. very frustrating.
Ryan
Old 08-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Ryan360
Instructor

Originally Posted by BSL
Ryan-

Try removing the front cover over the motors and undoing the faulty motor. If I remember correctly, you should be able to pull it out toward the back of the car, which gets the cam out of the lock in the windscreen.
That may be close to impossible since the motor is still engaged with the cab in the up position. In other words, the pin is still partially close and locked in the frame with top up. The front screws are hidden and not visible. The only other screw I can see is one small phillips type head on the black (solenoid looking) cylinder which is the other half of the motor.

I may have to use a high speed grinder/cutter with great care to split the motor in half to get to the lock and out of the windscreen frame. That's the only way I think I can get the latch motor out. Unless someone else can come up with a better idea. I can not even remove the upholstery for better access because the top is still locked-in and in the "up" position.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

I'm sure there's a hole where you can unlock the latch with a straight screwdriver
Old 08-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Ryan360
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bouzoukikid
I'm sure there's a hole where you can unlock the latch with a straight screwdriver
I'm really hoping that would be the case. I'm just not too familiar with the inside or mechanism of the latch motor; how the pins open and close. I strongly believe the gear inside the motor is stripped completely that's the reason why the pin won't disengaged fully.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

If you turn the screw driver (don't know how many turns) the latch should release.

Edit> i'm sorry, thinking about it, if your gears are completely gone then I can see your predicament. Mine was intermittent.
Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

Once unlatched check out this thread I posted some time back as I had similar symptoms. The body of the cogs may have come away from the motor and is causing the motor to spin freely.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=53378&highlight=latch
Old 08-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Ryan360
Instructor

If you turn the screw driver (don't know how many turns) the latch should release.
I did that but the gear inside is stripped so I keep turning the small screw but the lock pin won't open all the way. The pin is currently about 4/5 open. I can not see the face of the motor to remove the screws so I can replace the gear.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ryan360
I did that but the gear inside is stripped so I keep turning the small screw but the lock pin won't open all the way. The pin is currently about 4/5 open. I can not see the face of the motor to remove the screws so I can replace the gear.
Sorry, I was just editing my previous post to take this into consideration as mine was intermiteent and worked for me.

Cant remember if the panel can come off whilst still latched.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Ryan360
Instructor

Sorry, I was just editing my previous post to take this into consideration as mine was intermiteent and worked for me.

Cant remember if the panel can come off whilst still latched.
That's my $6M question whether the latch motor can be disassembled whilst still latched on the windscreen frame. Looking at the latch motor, the casing looks to be one piece.

I couldn't view the jpg in your 911 post link. Was your top in "up" position?
Old 08-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

I couldn't view the jpg in your 911 post link. Was your top in "up" position?
Mine would not lock. Yes up.

The casing comes apart;
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=53378&highlight=latch

There are two visible philips screws on each side of the cover (you can see these with the roof still latched. Remove these and see if you can pull the cover down gently to get better visibility. You may be able to get a screwdriver in there and knock the latches to release. If the gears are gone the latches will spin freely.

Quick Reply: CAB Top Problem -- Need Help