993 Forum 1995-1998

Rennsport Short Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Rod95C2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rennsport Short Shifter

I've searched the archives and haven't found much information on point to my question. I'd like to hear comments from people who have installed this short shifter from Gert regarding likes, dislikes, feel, etc. I understand that many people are very pleased with the B & M shifter, but I'm partial to the factory parts. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:17 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I got the RS shifter from Gert, and I like it very much. The throw is shorter, but the effort is not much greater than with the stock shifter. Like you, I'm partial to factory parts. This one fits perfectly. The included instructions are pretty good. The only part that took me a little while to figure out is the two rubber pieces on the ends of the pipe that the gearshift slide runs on. Just take the circlip off the end of the pipe, pop out the rubber piece, and rotate it 180 degrees vertically. When you get the shifter and look at the instructions, this will be clearer.

I installed just the lever, not the shift rod.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:49 AM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like the rs shifter as well. It strikes me as the way the shifting SHOULD have been from the factory. I did have some minor fittment/interference issues that were cleaned up with a file (I think, It was a while ago)
Pete
Old 07-24-2006, 01:54 AM
jhale
Pro

Rod95C2- I just got my car back this evening from the mechanic after getting several upgrades installed. One of the upgrades was the RS shifter from Gert. I also had the RS motor mounts installed and I definitely noticed a difference. In particular, the shifting was much crisper and the distance between gears was noticeably shorter. I only have 20 miles or so on the new parts so I can't comment on the long term impact. For the price, my initial reaction is that it was worth the expense. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

JH
Old 07-24-2006, 02:03 AM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Yep - I would do it again with the rod as well. I also like the solid motor mounts and the solid tranny mount. It all seems to go together pretty well.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:05 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the RS shifter in my car as well. I didn't change the shift rod (is that the right term?), just the shifter and the shift fork. I like the mod though I dont feel the throws are that much shorter. You should be aware that the shifter is actually a tad higher than the stock shifter, which seems counterintuitive at first. The idea is the get the shifter closer to the steering wheel so that your hand doesn't have to travel as far to shift. After getting ued to it, I like it quite a bit. It seems like that is where the shifter should have been in the first place.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:25 AM
jimbone
Advanced

I recently installed Gert's rs short shifter with the shift rod. Overall, it's a fun, pretty easy to do DIY that makes a nice difference. The throw is shorter, but not drastically so. They are more crisp and precise, and as everyone else says, apparently the rs motor and transmission mounts make it even more so. I took a ton of photos, gleamed things off other threads and will probably put together a diy step-by-step if there's interest. Hope this info helps!
Old 07-24-2006, 10:42 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also like the shifter. Incidentally too, the only posts about the B&M that I remember were ones from people that did not like it.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:29 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 373 Posts

The factory RS shifter is definitly the way to go. But I would forego the harder 2 hole RS trans mounts unless it's a mostly track car. The hard motor mounts didn't add noticeably to noise but the trans mounts sure did. This is w/ a full /30 Cup trans andRS flywheel/clutch
Old 08-22-2006, 11:12 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Hey guys -

Is carnewal.com the only place on-line to purchase the Rennsport short shifter?? --And do I need the Shift Rod?

many thanks!
Old 08-22-2006, 11:26 PM
LeMarquis
User

Why is it only available for the C2 and C2S? I assume clearance over the 4wd system... Does anyone make a kid for the C4 and C4S
Old 08-22-2006, 11:30 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

You can get them from RennSport Systems (Steve), I have one on order (w/ shift rod). Should get it shortly.
Also Sunset has them, probably Devek as well.
I am hoping Jimbone gets around to doing the step by step w/ pictures.
For the 4 ande 4S, I believe you need to dimple the cover for clearance. No seperate kit available.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:31 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

You do not need to replace the shift rod if all you are looking for is shorter throws (and a slightly higher shifter). The shift rod change is mainly to get rid of the rubber bushing associated with the stock shifter rod, which is said to tighten up the shifter, getting rid of some of the mushiness.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:37 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally Posted by LeMarquis
Why is it only available for the C2 and C2S? I assume clearance over the 4wd system... Does anyone make a kid for the C4 and C4S
I have the rs shift kit in my c4s........you just need to bang the pan really hard several times.............
Old 08-22-2006, 11:37 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

The mushiness is what I hope to get rid of. I did install the RS Motor Mounts and it did improve the shifting w/ that alone.
I thought I wouldn't be doing many mods, but I sure found some 'nice' ones to do. I hope to get the full shift kit soon, and installed, I am also trying to determine when to send my ECU off to RennSport for a reflashed to an RS 3.8. I may do it tomorrow if I have time to take the seat out.

Quick Reply: Rennsport Short Shifter