Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticket "estimated"...beatable? And do MA & NY have reciprocity?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 01:58 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Ticket "estimated"...beatable? And do MA & NY have reciprocity?

So "hypothetically", if a speeding ticket is marked by LIDAR, but also marked "estimated", is that something that will hold up? Could I "hypothetically" fight it?

Hypothetical situation...cresting a hill, V1 goes off right at the top with laser, cop maybe 15-20 degree angle? Not dead on. No front plate on the car for reflection either.

Thoughts?

Also, anyone know if MA & NY have reciprocity...i.e., will insurance and NY know about a ticket in Mass?
Old 07-20-2006, 02:23 PM
volpenyc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a NYS license, you are in luck. Unless it is drug or alcohol related ticket, NYS DMV does not get notified:
"
If I get a ticket for a moving violation in another state, do I receive points on my NYS driver license?
The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions. The exceptions are alcohol-related violations, drug-related violations, and moving violations committed in Quebec or Ontario. Under special agreements, traffic convictions in Quebec or Ontario are recorded on NYS driver license records and carry points. Except for violations in Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS record for out-of-state violations.

If you do not respond to a ticket or fail to pay a fine for a moving violation that you committed in any state except Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon or Wisconsin, the DMV suspends your NYS driver license until you respond to the ticket or pay the fine. If a driver from a state except these six states fails to respond to a traffic ticket issued in NYS, their driver license will be suspended until the driver responds to the traffic ticket in NYS.

Drivers from other states must contact the DMV in their home state to get information about the effect of a traffic violation conviction that occurs in NYS.

If you receive a conviction for an alcohol-related or drug-related driving violation in any state, your NYS driver license is revoked for at least six months.

".
My suggestion is just to pay the "speed tax" and move on. Dunno about a CA license though...
Old 07-20-2006, 02:35 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hypothetically...NYS license...good news.

Any info on whether it hits insurance (SF) in NY?

In such a hypothetical situation I would just pay the "stupid tax"...life is filled with them...but would be concerned about the hit to insurance rates.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:46 PM
volpenyc
Pro

Don't think it does. I've had :ahem: "hypothectical" situations like this; didn't notice a change in insurance rates. But YMMV
Old 07-20-2006, 02:49 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

I thought all states reciprocate. Check it out.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:27 PM
volpenyc
Pro

The quote I posted above was taken directly from the NYS DMV website:

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/dmvfaqs.htm#tickets
Old 07-20-2006, 04:44 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

They probably don't for points, but I'm also thinking about insurance...

If I knew it wouldn't hit insurance, hypothetically, I'd just pay the stupid tax.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:51 PM
mborkow
Drifting

there have been a few threads on this type of thing pretty recently, but one interesting tactic that worked (although i do not remember the state) was to send in the ticket with a check for slightly more than the amount indicated on the ticket. the state in this case sends you a check for the refund (the amount you paid over the amount on the ticket). when you get this check back, throw it away. the ticket has been paid (you are not in trouble) but it never gets closed or fully processed because the refund check is never cashed...since the case is never actually closed, it doesn't get reported.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:59 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

no - see http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/ticket.asp
Old 07-20-2006, 05:19 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

I was "supposedly' tagged going downhill with the NY cop coming uphill. I asked to see the radar screen and she refused and said she was "qualified"to estimate the speed. I decided to plead not quilty. When I got there, she talked to me before seeing the judge and wanted to know if I would accept a ticket for being "radared in a controlled zone" with no speed indicated, which results in no points and no insurance reference. I suppose for $135, it was worth it, but I think I should have asked the judge to throw it out if she couldn't prove the speed (65 in a 55). In the "hypothetical case", I would plead not quilty and see if you can get a lesser fine, the cost is the same as a waiver. Just be real nice to the judge, they have short fuses in traffic court.

Quick Reply: Ticket "estimated"...beatable? And do MA & NY have reciprocity?