Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radar Detectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 08:12 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been using the Beltronics Pro RX65 for about 2-3 years and have been pleased. But now after reading everyone's comments about the V1, I may have to switch.
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2006, 08:38 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

V1....period.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:14 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the cordless Passport, which is key for VA where detectors are banned. I need to be able to hide it well.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:35 AM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Radar detectors are great.....but what one needs in addition is a laser diffuser. Blinder http://www.radarbusters.com/products/blinder/default.asp makes a great one. Diffuse/detect....slow down....no tickie
Old 07-09-2006, 01:40 AM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V1

As others have said, get a Valentine 1. There is no competition.

I have mine installed above the rear view mirror:

I can't stand anything on my windshield, so I used the Valentine-supplied suction cup mount, but hard-mounted it to the car. I made a small aluminum bracket with nearly a 120-degree bend, and pop-riveted this to the interior sheet metal under the rubber interior windshield surround (which does not seal the windshield, only holds the headliner in place). Then I removed the suction cups from the plastic mount and attached it to the aluminum bracket with a couple of screws. It's very secure and totally discreet.

Run the wire down the A-pillar to a hardwire adapter on the sunroof circuit, and voila! Both visors are still usable as well.

Installed in this position you almost cannot see the V1 from outside the car, yet you still have good visibility to the front panel.

-Jeff
'97 993TT
Old 07-09-2006, 03:05 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here it is in a more discreet location which diverts your vision less from the road. This is the remote display, and the primary unit is on the windshield close to the mirror as in the previous post. If you use suction cups, I have found that Scott's suction cups are superior to the ones supplied by Valentine.'
You may find them in OSH.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Ron_H; 07-09-2006 at 03:59 AM.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:35 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

www.valentine1.com
Old 07-09-2006, 03:37 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I read today about a detector that powers itself down automatically when it picks up a signal search for the detector like they use in states where they are illegal like D.C.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:10 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I used V1's for years. I sell them in my shop so always like to think I had the best. 2 weeks ago when I bought my new 993 2S I had a talk to the importer here who imports both the V1's and BEL's into NZ. He told me the new STI Bel was the dogs nuts and was far stronger and more accurate over the V1.
I stupidly believed him. No tickets for about 8 years or more, new car, new BEL state of the art radar, 2 tickets in one week. Buggar!
Needless to say, V1 all day long, and there's a new one in the car now.
Those arrows are awesome.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:16 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron_H
Here it is in a more discreet location which diverts your vision less from the road. This is the remote display, and the primary unit is on the windshield close to the mirror as in the previous post. If you use suction cups, I have found that Scott's suction cups are superior to the ones supplied by Valentine.'
You may find them in OSH.
Ahhh, Ron, at a 158 mph, maybe you shouldn't be taking pictures of your dash.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher
I read today about a detector that powers itself down automatically when it picks up a signal search for the detector like they use in states where they are illegal like D.C.
That's exactly what I do when I'm going through Virginia. I throw a map pon the dash and tuck the V1 under the map. As soon as the V1 goes off, I unplug it, lest my detector be detected by the VG2 detector detector.

Kind of a pain if you're a resident of Virginia but it works fine for the few times I go through the state.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:15 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

993MAN - I think its time to have a little chat with your sales rep.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:20 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Jeff (the California one),

I have my V1 mounted exactly as you do, but a bit lower so that it is not obstructed by the tint line across the top of the windshield. Although I have no hard proof, I have always felt that trying to put it higher up might negatively effect the sensitivity...i.e. the tint might obstruct. Yours looks all the way up behind the tint...have you found this to effect sensitivity? I would rather put mine high up like yours, but have been worried about this issue. Mine has always worked great where it is...i.e. the "if its not broke dont fix it" thing. However, I sure would like to put it up a bit higher.

thanks, JT
Old 07-09-2006, 01:36 PM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi gentlemen,
can somebody explain how a detector's detector works? I was in the military before, and not to be detected, we left our jammers passive. A radar detector is a passive device isn't it? So how can it be detected?
Cheers.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Toga
Hi gentlemen,
can somebody explain how a detector's detector works? I was in the military before, and not to be detected, we left our jammers passive. A radar detector is a passive device isn't it? So how can it be detected?
Cheers.
JP,

Radar detectors actually emit a radio frequency that is picked up by the detector detector. I've always throught of it as radar pollution.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/radar-detector4.htm

Quick Reply: Radar Detectors