Just did my belts...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 01:17 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Just did my belts...

Tech article rates this as a 6 out of 10. I'd say it was a 2-3, but getting my a/c compressor back in place was an 11. That bolt closest to the rear of the car and the fan housing was HELL!!!! All my strength and a pry bar weren't enough. I got lucky and was able to thread it after an hour of rage. Otherwise it was a cinch. Although I ordered the correct 12 pt. M10 tool on eBay, it didn't arrive today and my new belts did. So I used the old Lisle star bit I had and just Dremeled it down. It fit perfectly into a 1/2" SAE box wrench. Socket and ratchet on it were still too thick for the space.

I recommend using zip ties to keep the washers and shims together and tighten them down so you keep them from flipping out of the order in which you removed them. I had no problem with the three allen bolts. But I will be ordering new ones for the next time I do this. In my previous comments on a belt thread, I was wrong about being able to hold the fan down with your hands instead of using the 12 pt. tool to hold the shaft still. I didn't realize that shaft spun independently of the fan, as it does not in older 911's. Photos to follow.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:18 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's the 12 pt. Lisle bit in a 1/2" SAE box wrench. Don't skimp on the tape. And don't do this without a glass of Gentleman Jack, seen on the upper right side. Maker's Mark or **** Creek will do too. But nothing else!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Rick Lee; 07-08-2006 at 01:37 AM.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:20 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's how to do it. I rested the top side of the box wrench against the underside of the rear crossmember, so my hands were free to turn the 24mm wrench. Key here is to make sure the 12 pt. tool is seated totally FLUSH. Don't skimp on this. 2 min. of double checking can save hours and $100's when you strip it.
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2006, 01:23 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I recomment a Colgan service bra and magnetic tray to hold all the important stuff.
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2006, 01:24 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

New v-belts are in.
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2006, 01:26 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Note that bolt sticking out on the left side of the compressor. Easily, one of the top three most frustrating things I've ever done on a 911 and that's saying something. BTW, I turned the engine over a few times with the key to get the belts to seat and set tension by feel.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:34 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I second John D's recommendation about putting a rag over the crank pulleys to catch stuff you drop. I was careful and didn't drop anything down there this time. But I have done it plenty of times before and it's always good to have a telescoping magnet and claw grabber tool handy for this. I should have been done in one hour. But it took me two Rush CD's (Hold Your Fire and Fly By Night) and three glasses of Gentleman's Jack to do it. I've just passed my one month mark with no cigarettes and that damn compressor almost broke my will to stop smoking. Gawd, it sucked! As the tech article says, with the three allen bolts, be sure to get the socket bit totally flush. Mine weren't very tight, but it looks like they had been wrenched on in the past and I will get new ones next time. I bought two of each belt so I could change them and have spares for next time or an emergency. In a roadside emergency, I'd just cut the a/c belt and deal with it later.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:26 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Great write-up, Rick. I had to do replace the alt and fan belt last weekend at the Glen. I also just ordered the 12 point tool from ebay as per your recommendation.

Why are you selling your SC???
Old 07-08-2006, 11:27 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Rick -

Great job and very innovative.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:11 PM
pchak
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rick,
Good job. I should have taken pictures as well. I actually had more trouble with the bolt behind the a/c compressor (I got my hand stuck, holding the lower nut )
Old 07-08-2006, 03:18 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
I turned the engine over a few times with the key to get the belts to seat and set tension by feel.
Porsche issued a TSB about this warning not to rely on the thumb method. For the cooling fan and alternator the v-belt should be tensioned cold to 15-23 kg and after idling for 15 minutes or driven for 10 miles the tension should be 28-40kg. The A/C belt should be tensioned to 30-35 kg.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know, I know. But I've thumb tensioned v-belts in my other Porsches and never had a problem. I just drove her a good 40 miles and when she cools off a bit, I'll recheck the tension. If I find someone with the right tool, I'll use it.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the writeup Rick. I went out to do this today, as my A-Belt has a couple of small cracks in it...but I found that the tool kit didnt have the 12 point tool...

Is the tool that you used available from any hard ware store? Id like to do this tomorrow AM and wont have the official tool.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think I bought my 12 pt. tool at Pep Boys. I saw a set at Auto Zone last week.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:46 PM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I just went out and bought the set from Autozone for $13. They are too long though and I will need to cut it down....

Quick Reply: Just did my belts...