Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 09:00 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

be sure to look for 993's built December of 1994-- because that is when mine was hand crafted

Seriously, drive ALL of the 993's you can. They all speak a little different dialect of German
Old 07-05-2006, 09:14 PM
AnthemAVM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanriffs
This is a humorous thread. But seriously, Caveman's advice is very valid...I drove several 993s, some within the same year. They each felt different, and two '96s in particular were much different, which I can only attribute to maintenance and how they were driven.

My advice is go for the best car that suits your needs. You might possibly have an SAI repair on a post-95 car, but it's not necessarily going to happen, as I understand it. That is way more than offset by the implicit cost of missing out on a car that you like for all of the other reasons outside of the model year, IMO.

If I had to do it all over again, I still would not focus on the model year. In fact, I wonder who could name any current 993 owner that thinks, "Geez, I wish I had bought a '95, '96, '97 or '98 instead of my 'XX" or "if only I had bought a model year 'XX". Doubt it!

It's like buying a house - when it comes down to close calls, which 993 that you tested will make you happy or smile the most each time you drive it? That is the car you should buy, assuming a favorable PPI.

By the way, I am enjoying my "gay" polar silver basket-handled coupe. If you go past early '96 model year builds, you might miss out on the coveted basket handle brake light.
Very good advice, and I will open it up to others, I have had some very nice cars offered to me, some closer than others.

Michael
Old 07-06-2006, 01:12 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

You know that early run of pre-production 993 units had a lot going for them. Sure they had bugs, but a 964 was still a pretty decent car...
Old 07-06-2006, 01:32 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No question, 1998 is the year. It's really not a fair question because arguably, 96-98 vehicles were identical. 1995 has it's merits but, history will probably favor the later years due to better performance and end-of-an-era desirability. My 98 Cab was manufactured in 12/97 and, according to Porsche records is 56 cars from the end of the run (for U.S. bound Cabs). I don't know that the quality or engine build is any better than previous years. In fact, I suspect it's not, other than the constant evolution of parts to improve functionality and durability over the life of a model.

What I do believe to be true is that 98's were very few in number relative to 96/97's and represent the pinnacle of air-cooled 911 development plus the "last of the best" allure. All other things being equal, a 98 will always be worth more than a 95-97. That's why mine is staying in the family!

Caveat Emptor: I belive ALL 993 owners have something to be very proud of. Some early models in lesser state of repair are getting into the hands of first-time Porsche owners who will no doubt, relish every moment in their cantankerous critter. That is exactly what keeps these cars legendary. A new breed of owners, anxious to own a piece of history and enthusiastic about publicly sharing their love of the 993.

Chekk
Old 07-06-2006, 04:38 AM
Feehliks
Instructor

Originally Posted by Deanriffs
This is a humorous thread. But seriously, Caveman's advice is very valid...

It is a humorous thread because there is no definite answer to the original question. So what should we write about?

Some people prefer the first or last 993 for some emotional reasons or because they are collectors. This doesn't make all other 993s bad. And if the very last 993 happens to be a run down car with 200.000 mls on the clock, it won't be as desireable as a beautifully kept car from the middle.

Sure, if you are a collector you have to look for something: celebrity pre-owner, first/last production, special color combo, options, etc.

There are no serious flaws along the lifespan of the 993 - some have been managed under warranty.

Forget those 15 additional hp for MY 96+. You won't feel it and most test results are virtually identical anyways. Here on the Autobahn you realize that it requires at least 50 or more hp to make a recognizable difference in our league. In Europe 272 hp versions have a shorter gearing which keeps acceleration AT LEAST(!) on par. And on the 272 hp the punch of the engine coming on the cam is better. I never gave a serious thought about MY when searching.

Best regards,

Felix
Old 07-07-2006, 02:23 AM
gjtrek
Instructor

Best year?........hmmmm, I am going to say '98 C2S with build dates on 11/97 or later...sez #321086 with 11/97 build date. gary
Old 07-07-2006, 02:41 AM
Porscheologist
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes yes what the other guys have said is all nice and the cars they have are nice but lets talk some Porsche 993 Cool FACTS. You don't buy a 993 to be "nice". You buy a Volvo to be "nice". You buy one to be COOL!
But if your really want to be cool like me (I am really cool) then just get you a late model 95 coupe with NO basket handle and NO CEL issues. What more could you want? Oh and yes be sure to get a Grand Prix White one EVERYONE knows that Porsche put the best engines in them.

Do not buy any other year or color!
The closer your car is to mine then the happier you will be

Good luck!

P.S. No sorry my ultra cool 993 is NOT for sale.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:14 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Surely the best years for a 993 are '95 & '96.......these were the years they made the RS
Old 07-07-2006, 08:44 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Marc in AK makes a valid point Snowdon-

You have been "looking" for a year now, at this point you should be an expert and tell us which year is best.

Life is short my friend and the days that pass without a 993 you don't get back.

Best wishes
Old 07-07-2006, 09:22 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Any year as long as is not a 99...
Old 07-07-2006, 09:28 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hijack a bit, but please help me find the thread again in which the actual production numbers for each model / year / destination country are shown. I've searched and searched, but I haven't stumbled onto the right search terms yet. TIA.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:45 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
Sorry to hijack a bit, but please help me find the thread again in which the actual production numbers for each model / year / destination country are shown. I've searched and searched, but I haven't stumbled onto the right search terms yet. TIA.
First, I think it is impossible to hijack ~this thread~.

With regard to your question, I believe you are referring to the thread with the chart of production numbers from PCNA. However, the last time this came up, many of us question the accuracy of the chart because we personally own cars that appear to have never been produced according to the chart--specifically my 96 C4 Cab and others 97 C4 Cabs.

That being said, I suspect some people want to see the chart, so here it is:

Old 07-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. That's the very chart I was looking for. Now the title says "US Sales" - do sales always equal production? Maybe they made '96 and '97 C4 Cabs, but they were delivered and "sold" in '98? Dunno.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:16 PM
Z-nomore
Instructor

Originally Posted by H20NOO

Caveat Emptor: I belive ALL 993 owners have something to be very proud of. Some early models in lesser state of repair are getting into the hands of first-time Porsche owners who will no doubt, relish every moment in their cantankerous critter. That is exactly what keeps these cars legendary. A new breed of owners, anxious to own a piece of history and enthusiastic about publicly sharing their love of the 993.

Chekk
umm... I think that would be me!!
Old 07-07-2006, 03:17 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

early 95's, because they use the old cam-sprocket design from the 964 (more robust), and less complicated/problematic than those silly OBDII cars. If you can find a black/black early build '95, you pretty much have the best 993 ever built. No prejudice here, just the facts

Quick Reply: What year is the best 993 to have?